Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Imagine if the council made watches

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 29, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Re: the National Semiconductor LED watch, Fossil made a very similar one in the late 90s.

http://www.crazywatches.pl/fossil-pulsar-p2-led-1997

They might also be a smidgeon cheaper. I had one of the ones with the big leather cuff strap, and it was ace.

Thanks for that link- it mentions Tokyoflash, and I had been trying to remember that name as a friend of mine had a load of their watches in the mid-2000s. I think they often had sales on, or importing them from Japan was surprisingly cheap, or something. In any case they looked cool and they were a lot of fun but they ate up electricity and needed new batteries something like every three months.

Quote from: Dewt on January 29, 2020, 02:52:23 PM
Imagine if the council made watches

That National Semiconductor logo is bit hauntological innit? Imagine if Scarfolk Council made watches. I'd buy one, but it would probably monitor my movements and record my thoughts and then slowly poison me as a punishment for committing thoughtcrime.

Blue Jam

gilbertharding

Here's my watch (well - it's the same as my watch). Inherited it from my uncle about 10 years ago, and had it serviced about five years after that, so I could wear it. It's pretty robust - I could wear it every day but I'd be scared of getting robbed for it or getting drunk and losing it. I have a G Shock and a Garmin for sports, and a quartz Tissot for every day.

Not to everyone's taste, obviously - but I think it's great. I thought the face was black at first, but it turned out to be green under strong light. When they serviced it, they repainted the face because it was flaking, and now it's a much greener green, disappointingly.

Blue Jam

Ooooh I like that, GH.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 29, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Re: the National Semiconductor LED watch, Fossil made a very similar one in the late 90s.

http://www.crazywatches.pl/fossil-pulsar-p2-led-1997

A copy of the Pulsar P2, another of James Bond's watches:

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/hamilton-pulsar-p2-2900-led-digital-watch

Looks more fun than an Omega.

gilbertharding

I wondered if I'd posted my watch before on this thread... and it turns out I did. On page 8.

Sorry, everyone.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 29, 2020, 03:41:21 PM
Ooooh I like that, GH.

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/hamilton-pulsar-p2-2900-led-digital-watch

That reminds me of the 70s tv show The Omega Gemini Man... about a man with a digital watch which made him invisible somehow when he pressed the buttons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_Man_(TV_series)...

Which reminds me about all the jibes against 'digital watches' in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 29, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
I wondered if I'd posted my watch before on this thread... and it turns out I did. On page 8.

Sorry, everyone.
I'm 100% certain I've posted mine about five times on here. I liked seeing yours (again).

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 29, 2020, 03:41:21 PM

It's an almost exact copy, innit? Presumably Fossil paid them, or there's a very relaxed copyright situation re: watches.

The Pulsar P4 is chuffing lovely looking as well, though.

Blue Jam

I'd like to think of myself as GQ Woman, but I'm just a bit Partridge aren't I?

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 29, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
That reminds me of the 70s tv show The Omega Gemini Man... about a man with a digital watch which made him invisible somehow when he pressed the buttons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_Man_(TV_series)...

Which reminds me about all the jibes against 'digital watches' in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Do you know what kind of watch the boy in Alfonso Bonzo had? The one that made him travel through time when he pressed the futuristic calculator buttons? I'm sure that show was another reason why I loved my Casio FW-91 so much.

Famous Mortimer

The watch I really liked (an H357-5049) ended up going for $60, which feels like a hefty price for something which may well not work.

But, that whole era of Seiko seems pretty nice, so I might check out other similar models, see if I can find something reasonable.

Famous Mortimer

I was looking at an estate sale listing, which starts tomorrow, and there's this crate of watches there.

The one on the top left, with the leather cuff, caught my eye, but the picture's not good enough quality to figure out what it is. I'm probably going to go and have a look anyway, but in case I can't be bothered or it's sold before I get there, can anyone tell what sort of watch it is? Judging by the others around it, it won't be anything insanely expensive, which is good. I just really like the look of it.

Blue Jam

Looks like it says "Fossil" to me, but also like it could be some brand that predates Fossil. If you Google "Fossil leather cuff watch" lots of similar ones come up, but not the exact one. In any case if it's been sold by the time you get there I guess you could get a Fossil as an alternative. You can also get those cuff straps sold separately so you could get a nice square watch case and put it on a cuff strap.

Maybe check out those two Mickey Mouse watches too, could they be worth something to a collector? The chronograph looks a bit like this one:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/215802063/disney-retired-chronograph-three-dial

Or this one:

https://www.magicalearscollectibles.com/Disney-Wrist-Watch--Mickey-Mouse-Chronograph--Gun-Metal-_p_3823.html

They could be worth picking up and sticking on eBay if you can get them cheap.

Famous Mortimer

By the time I'd got there, it had been sold - the prices for the remaining ones weren't cheap, either.

I'll keep an eye on eBay, and hope if someone ever sells it, they list it correctly (square or rectangular face, leather cuff) and it's not insanely expensive. Thanks for looking and trying to figure it out though.

Famous Mortimer

Just flicking through a watch forum, trying to find some inspiration for my next purchase / fill up the hours til death, and I saw Getat watches. They're pretty nice, it looks like - you go on their site and build one from "scratch", picking the strap design, face design, material of the case, that sort of thing. Plus, there's no ostentatious branding on the face, which I like.

https://getatwatch.com/

They're not cheap, but if I'm suddenly promoted, it would be a nice thing to have.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 12, 2020, 07:10:56 PM
Just flicking through a watch forum, trying to find some inspiration for my next purchase / fill up the hours til death, and I saw Getat watches. They're pretty nice, it looks like - you go on their site and build one from "scratch", picking the strap design, face design, material of the case, that sort of thing. Plus, there's no ostentatious branding on the face, which I like.

https://getatwatch.com/

They're not cheap, but if I'm suddenly promoted, it would be a nice thing to have.

If you're not careful with how you read that, it sounds like a site for ordering Swiss whores.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 12, 2020, 07:17:04 PM
If you're not careful with how you read that, it sounds like a site for ordering Swiss whores.
Well played, sir.

Sebastian Cobb

Lockdown meant I wasn't bothering to put my Seiko 5 on very often so it kept stopping and I got a bit fed up with setting it when I did need it, so I decided to pick up a faithful F-91W for sporadic use. Normally I'm a traditionalist and think the classic resin/metal ones are the best but I saw this clear one and had to grab it.

wosl

Smashing looking, that.  Only running twelve minutes slow, as well!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 17, 2020, 02:48:26 PM
Lockdown meant I wasn't bothering to put my Seiko 5 on very often so it kept stopping

I had the same problem, also nearly missed an appointment because I didn't notice that the date was one day behind where I wasn't aware that the previous month only had 30 days as nothing had happened to remind me.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 17, 2020, 02:48:26 PM
Lockdown meant I wasn't bothering to put my Seiko 5 on very often so it kept stopping and I got a bit fed up with setting it when I did need it, so I decided to pick up a faithful F-91W for sporadic use. Normally I'm a traditionalist and think the classic resin/metal ones are the best but I saw this clear one and had to grab it.

That's dead nice. I have an orange F-91W but in retrospect even I think it's a bit garish, and I've lost the regular one in a recent move.

Might have a look for a replacement one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 17, 2020, 04:33:33 PM
That's dead nice. I have an orange F-91W but in retrospect even I think it's a bit garish, and I've lost the regular one in a recent move.

Might have a look for a replacement one.

Cheers! I quite like the orange ones but wouldn't be able to pull it off. The blue ones didn't quite hit the spot for me though.

wosl

The only sticking point for me would be the fact that the case looks to be metallic painted; the metal-look finish on resin Casios tends to rub off in patches.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 17, 2020, 05:44:03 PM
Cheers! I quite like the orange ones but wouldn't be able to pull it off. The blue ones didn't quite hit the spot for me though.

Got it when my son was very small and needed distractions or he'd scream. It was brightly coloured, cheap, and indestructible plus strapped to me so I'd never lose it. It also lights up orange if you press the button so was a real winner. It's a bit much as a timepiece though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: wosl on October 17, 2020, 05:55:45 PM
The only sticking point for me would be the fact that the case looks to be metallic painted; the metal-look finish on resin Casios tends to rub off in patches.

That's annoying. If that happens I might have to swap the body for a resin or metal one. Although it's that light I dunno how noticable wear will be.

wosl

Would be a shame, as that restrained - for Casio - white face with light grey/silver lettering is really nice. They should do it in light grey resin case.

Blue Jam

Mr Jam got me a lurrrvely Seiko 5 for Christmas:

Thought it looked a bit smol at first but that's probably only because my Seiko Recraft is a big green beast and my two Adidas Santiago watches are a right pair of chonkers. I wanted a Seiko 5, and a nicely understated classic one for everyday wear, and I think this is the one. I like the circular grooves going round the face like a vinyl record and the red second hand, and the movement looks nice and smooth.

I was looking at this one originally but it's even bigger than my 70's darts player Seiko and I decided this was a bit too chonky and brash and Rolex-y for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078T1BR42/?coliid=I28Q6M8YLQANYH&colid=NXMSZ5BRVTZV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Yeah, I love my Xmas pressie. Just a bit gutted that we're moving into Tier 4 tomorrow and I can't go to Timpson's to get a couple of links taken out.

Blue Jam

Also I watched a lot of watch unboxing videos on YouTube before choosing this Seiko and my previous one and noted that a lot of wearers really, really don't like metal watch bands and will swap them for a leather strap or a NATO strap the first chance they get. I know leather straps are considered the most appropriate for a man's dress watch but I've never been a fan, I think metal looks smarter, maybe because I'm not a man. Any thoughts?

Nice one that BJ, I swapped my strap out for a brown leather one but I think yours would look good with a NATO.

Ferris

Most (all?) of my watches have plastic/silicone straps because I'm a child, so I cannot really comment sorry.

Sebastian Cobb

I put a leather nato on my Seiko 5 but that's because it had a pretty crap woven strap and think it was an improvement. That looks decent with a metal strap imo.