Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: Replies From View on September 08, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
Do you honestly have the set-up for this?

Yeah, all you need is a Hue hub and bulbs which you then link into Google Assistant (for the watch and phone), or I think the Hue app is available for the watch, and Alexa (for the Amazon spot).  The latter is fun as I have Alexa set to respond to "computer" and a routine (alias) where you say the word 'lights' and my lights come on full.  So I can walk in and say "computer, lights." like on Star Trek.
Come to think of it being RGB bulbs I might have to set up a red alert command...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Clive Langham on September 08, 2018, 06:44:37 PM
I've never used a Nato strap because I find that extra bit of material that's doubled over and tucked round the side hugely aesthetically displeasing. Do people who use them not find that?

It doesn't have to look like that; Twed is wearing it poorly.

Twed

I'm wearing it exactly how it has to be worn due to the physical restrictions of this universe: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=nato%20strap&tbs=imgo:1#imgrc=oO8VcGE_r2p6yM:

Replies From View

Quote from: Cloud on September 08, 2018, 09:32:30 PM
Yeah, all you need is a Hue hub and bulbs which you then link into Google Assistant (for the watch and phone), or I think the Hue app is available for the watch, and Alexa (for the Amazon spot).  The latter is fun as I have Alexa set to respond to "computer" and a routine (alias) where you say the word 'lights' and my lights come on full.  So I can walk in and say "computer, lights." like on Star Trek.
Come to think of it being RGB bulbs I might have to set up a red alert command...

So you need bespoke bulbs?  That's one way to make you continue to spend too much money, I suppose.

A bespoke thing for ordinary bulbs to fit into - that would be fair.

studpuppet

The latter is fun as I have Alexa set to respond to "computer" and a routine (alias) where you say the word 'lights' and my lights come on full.  So I can walk in and say "computer, lights." like on Star Trek.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I'd set mine to respond to 'Zen' or 'Orac'.

Sebastian Cobb

You could fuck the alexa off and just monitor your WiFi to assert whether you're in and pop the lights on.

Or, you know, use a switch.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2018, 09:36:45 PM
It doesn't have to look like that; Twed is wearing it poorly.

that's not real, is it? was that iconic rolex in that iconic movie really on such a shitty too-narrow strap? were no crocodiles or baby goats available?

Cloud

Quote from: Replies From View on September 08, 2018, 09:43:57 PM
So you need bespoke bulbs?  That's one way to make you continue to spend too much money, I suppose.

Not so much bespoke as fairly common Philips bulbs that a ton of people get and that AFAIK work on the Zigbee standard, but yeah naturally being capable of 16 million colours and internet-based automation and dimming, they are of course somewhat more pricey than just popping in a normal bulb and flicking a switch.

But then welcome to Planet Earth, where there are lots of ways to get people to spend money unnecessarily - from watches, to cars, to shoes, to holidays, to television, to alcohol.  Whilst I admire your complete no-frills, strictly utilitarian existence some of us really don't mind splashing out a bit on things we find enjoyable.

Quote from: studpuppet on September 08, 2018, 10:23:10 PM
Maybe it's an age thing, but I'd set mine to respond to 'Zen' or 'Orac'.

Or Slave :)  I would, but the Alexa firmware can only be set to recognise Alexa, Echo or Computer (as it gets programmed into the low power chip dedicated to listening for the wake word and I think they put a lot of training into each word)

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2018, 11:26:26 PM
You could fuck the alexa off and just monitor your WiFi to assert whether you're in and pop the lights on.

Or, you know, use a switch.

Well yeah, obviously I've heard of the concept of light switches, I'm not thick.  But where's the fun in that?

Replies From View

Quote from: Cloud on September 09, 2018, 12:27:03 PM
some of us really don't mind splashing out a bit on things we find enjoyable.

Not lightbulbs though mate, please.  Please not lightbulbs.

Dex Sawash

Why do you think they call them bulbs anyway?

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 09, 2018, 01:30:20 PM
Why do you think they call them bulbs anyway?

Because they resemble lightbulbs from an earlier epoch.

Dex Sawash

Sebastian Cobb

Cloud's iot botnet.

Replies From View

Cloud

Quote from: Replies From View on September 09, 2018, 12:50:34 PM
Not lightbulbs though mate, please.  Please not lightbulbs.

It's my money

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2018, 02:46:42 PM
Cloud's iot botnet.

and has regular security updates

Replies From View

QDRPHNC

What do you spend your money on, RfV?

wosl

And why aren't you spending any of it on design-statement and/or expensive timepieces? 

Replies From View

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 10, 2018, 04:29:52 PM
What do you spend your money on, RfV?

Mostly just food and rent if I'm honest.

Endicott

In an ideal world you'd also need to be doing a convincing impression of Patrick Stewart or the lights would refuse to operate.

It's a travesty if you haven't done this.

I can't find a picture of my old watch. A Pulsar something like this, but with a completely black face. I particularly liked that for a fairly cheap (even in 1985) watch all the hands lined up properly.

I stopped wearing it 6 months after I got a mobile phone. It had seen plenty by then anyway.

Cloud

Quote from: Endicott on September 10, 2018, 05:36:25 PM
In an ideal world you'd also need to be doing a convincing impression of Patrick Stewart or the lights would refuse to operate.

It's a travesty if you haven't done this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15gRsTmyYv_UZhWesm_DMJg3e3XUfi-FI/view?usp=sharing

Pardon the ponies and the not-so-great Picard impression.

Edit: No audio? Fuck sake.   Maybe now...

Yussef Dent

At school one of the kids in our class had a Zeon remote control watch. It worked very similarly to the universal remotes you get, dead easy and quick to pair it up with a TV or video recorder. One day in English we were made to watch this B-movie modern adaptation of Macbeth set in some kind of criminal gangster underworld. Within about 15 minutes you knew it was shaping up to be rubbish, so I suggested he kept pissing about with the VCR until the teacher had to turn it off. She wouldn't give up though and ended up wheeling another unit in, only for him to f*** about with that as well and leaving her absolutely baffled. Next lesson she said the tape worked fine on her player at home, and the school ended up replacing the VCRs when there was absolutely nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Cloud

Good lad.  Did something similar when I had the Casio IR watch

Ferris

Quote from: seepage on September 03, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
+1 for this. Better than the Swatch in the 1st post imo and silent too.

I have a draw full of Swatches and the fucking things are so noisy I had to take the batteries out in the end.

I bought an all black Casio (with gold trim) on the back of your comment about it being quiet. It just arrived and is on my (right) wrist now (which is "wrong" for someone righthanded but I never do what The Man says, yeah?)

Anyway - it's lovely!

And to any other watch nerds - I've just remembered my dad is a watch nerd on the side. Odd case shapes, strange dial digits, small-runs of rolexes, the lot. He's given me a few over the years (and I've disappointed him by showing him my LEGO watch with add-on catapult). If anyone is interested I can dig them out - I think they're quite rare (not that I'd ever sell them). If not, we can let the thread quietly pass on.

mrfridge

Quote from: Yussef Dent on September 16, 2018, 12:53:57 AM
At school one of the kids in our class had a Zeon remote control watch. It worked very similarly to the universal remotes you get, dead easy and quick to pair it up with a TV or video recorder. One day in English we were made to watch this B-movie modern adaptation of Macbeth set in some kind of criminal gangster underworld. Within about 15 minutes you knew it was shaping up to be rubbish, so I suggested he kept pissing about with the VCR until the teacher had to turn it off. She wouldn't give up though and ended up wheeling another unit in, only for him to f*** about with that as well and leaving her absolutely baffled. Next lesson she said the tape worked fine on her player at home, and the school ended up replacing the VCRs when there was absolutely nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Yep I did the same in a biology lesson. Completely confused Miss Fogg by pausing the video on chlorophyll (or whatever) each time she walked away from the vcr. Some shit heel promptly informed her though and I got an hour detention. In fairness to her she did seem to find it quite funny.

Janie Jones

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 19, 2018, 01:39:37 AM

And to any other watch nerds - I've just remembered my dad is a watch nerd on the side. Odd case shapes, strange dial digits, small-runs of rolexes, the lot. He's given me a few over the years (and I've disappointed him by showing him my LEGO watch with add-on catapult). If anyone is interested I can dig them out - I think they're quite rare (not that I'd ever sell them). If not, we can let the thread quietly pass on.

I for one would welcome photos of watch nerdery please, FerriswheelBueller.

Here's a CaB watch thread from 5 years ago. I no longer stand by my recommendation of Watchfinder, they let me down recently.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,39998.0.html

Endicott

This thread is making me want a watch again. I've been looking and one lowish priced maker that I noticed was Dan Henry, new watches with a vintage style. I quite like some of them.

Norton Canes

Used to have the top middle one when I was at school

Oh I was the envy of the class. Made up for having no likeable personality traits.

mrfridge

Egg Panic looks hilariously racist.