Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The song that brings back your most boring memory.

Started by Jockice, September 01, 2018, 11:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Avenging Angels by Space is inextricably linked in my mind with driving to work one morning and specifically turning right onto the main road from the one that runs parallel to mine. Beat that for boringness.

Jockice

Having said that, this is the road where I've had my only two major crashes in the last decade, neither of which were my fault. But it wasn't on one of those days and no songs spring to mind when thinking about them.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Jockice on September 01, 2018, 11:55:39 PM
Avenging Angels by Space is inextricably linked in my mind with driving to work one morning and specifically turning right onto the main road from the one that runs parallel to mine. Beat that for boringness.

I like that song. It's interesting, musically.

The one for me would be Robbie Williams' Feel. Absolute muck. It used to be piped onto the floor of a factory I worked in, every hour, on the hour. And you couldn't really make out the rest of the song bar his vocals as the speakers were old and shitty, very mid-range, mainly designed as an intercom. Anyway, that's a terrible song, and even if it was the first song a 5 year old Robbie Williams had written all by himself, I would strongly advise him to give up the music thing immediately.

Gregory Torso

Suzanne Vega, Tom's Diner. That whole album actually, I think Luca was on it. My mum getting her hair cut at the same place from the same woman once every couple of weeks. Sitting in the tiny salon smelling the hair smells and shampoo and other things, hearing the ticking clock and snipping scissors, kicking my legs with no comics or toys and that fucking same Suzanne Vega tape playing, every time. Excruciating void of waiting, and not even being anything on the other side of the wait, maybe a packet of crisps.
The only time I can remember anything happening in that little tiled chamber of boredom was when the girl who cut mum's hair couldn't stop crying because she'd watched Turner and Hooch the night before (spoiler, the dog eats shit at the end), and even as a little child I thought: god it's not a real dog, love, it's an actor.

Psmith

The Drugs Don't Work
The bloke downstairs used to play all the time.
My flat was boring,the house and other tenants were boring,I was out of work and very bored.
Fortunately I moved and have never been bored again.:)

BeardFaceMan

Everybody Hurts by REM. Me and a mate in a pub on a Sunday evening, absolutely bored out of our minds because we were the only 2 people there apart from one old regular sat at the bar, and then he got up and put this song on the jukebox. I honestly thought if we didnt leave I was going to ask my friend to glass me in the neck, I'd never been more depressed in my entire life.

alan nagsworth

The Mavericks - Dance The Night Away

I remember it came on the radio while I was operating an industrial lathe. Now that's boring.

sevendaughters

RU Still Into It by Mogwai.

Was stuck on a train outside Newport, on a bridge over the muddy brown Usk, for about an hour. Obviously the song is only 7 minutes but put it on and I am *there*

PaulTMA

Watching Martha Wainwright perform a live set of her own music

Aswad- Don't Turn Around.

It's 1995. I am in a hotel restaurant. All the guests have eaten and fucked off to the entertainments pavilion and I am polishing cutlery. Lots of cutlery. We aren't allowed personal stereos so we are subject to the music that is piped in from the office behind the reception desk.  I finally get home at midnight. I am hearing Aswad and polishing cutlery in my sleep that night.

Brundle-Fly

Promise Me by Beverley Craven.

A girl I was seeing at the time played this ballad on a loop to create a 'romantic ambience' but it was an absolute passion killer for me. She might as well have asked me to sit in a bath full of vomit and ice cubes with Ken Bailey for all the ardour it induced. Consequently, for the rest of the evening we'd just be snuggled up watching some tedious film like Sommersby or Secret Admirer

I was a randy young bugger, so in hindsight, maybe the Promise Me-athons were deliberate?

Fisher Goes Berserk

Countless times I've been listening to music while typing something, and then forever associate that music with typing a particular word or phrase.

So boring I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

lebowskibukowski

'Totally Addicted To Bass' ensures double pain for me as not only does it remind me of the horribly dull eight months I did as a roofer, but I cannot separate it in my mind from Chris Moyles' parody version of it, which he amusingly repeated ad infinitum. Basically a mix of boredom mixed with incandescent rage. Fuck me, I really, really, really loathed Moyles.

Ferris

Brown-Eyed Girl by Van Morrison.

Being very small, opening and closing the magnetic doors on a cabinet for an afternoon. Very satisfying click.

Open *click*. Close *click*.

28 years old etc etc.

Twed

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 02, 2018, 01:39:20 PM
The Mavericks - Dance The Night Away

I remember it came on the radio while I was operating an industrial lathe. Now that's boring.
Natasha Bedingfield - These Words while I was operating a DVD label printing press.

As a side note, the Bedingfields need to be shot. I know they're no longer a threat, but they should be punished for their early-00s hubris.

QuoteBedingfield began recording her debut album in mid-2003, following the signing of a recording contract with Sony BMG earlier that year.[2] She was determined not to be shaped into "some music biz pigeonhole" and wanted to write songs that were "organic, different and real".

And then imagine her brother's face, permanently locked in that expression of "

Twed

Quote from: Twed on September 03, 2018, 02:58:09 PM
And then imagine her brother's face, permanently locked in that expression of "
I'm not going to correct this, it's somehow accurate as it stands.

Twed

Black Box - Ride On Time

Being in the back of my mother's Maestro going around the roundabout to exit B1352 on to B1414.

Neville Chamberlain

Millenium by Robbie Williams is inextricably linked in my mind with a duck smashing into my windshield as I drove across the Cambridgeshire Fens (circa 1998).

I can't help thinking this was a metaphor for, er, something.

Neville Chamberlain

Always the Sun by The Stranglers

Getting lost in suburban Yeovil because of an unscheduled closure of the road heading towards the Cartgate link road (circa 1993).

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: Twed on September 03, 2018, 02:58:09 PM
Natasha Bedingfield - These Words while I was operating a DVD label printing press.

I associate that song with vomiting into a glove outside Argyle Street station.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 02, 2018, 06:41:21 PM
Promise Me by Beverley Craven.

A girl I was seeing at the time played this ballad on a loop to create a 'romantic ambience' but it was an absolute passion killer for me. She might as well have asked me to sit in a bath full of vomit and ice cubes with Ken Bailey for all the ardour it induced. Consequently, for the rest of the evening we'd just be snuggled up watching some tedious film like Sommersby or Secret Admirer

I was a randy young bugger, so in hindsight, maybe the Promise Me-athons were deliberate?

On a similar ish note, for a couple of years in the early part of this century, there was a very quiet young lady living in the flat next to me who I never heard a peep out of until she got a boyfriend. She announced this by playing Sixpence None The Richer's Kiss Me loudly over and over again for what was probably only a few days but seemed like months.

She and him then had a weekend of what seemed like  non-stop noisy sex while I was ill in bed. I can't say I enjoyed hearing it too much. However after that (and even after he moved in) I never heard anything like that again from next door. Very strange. Their surnames were Grey and Brown which I think could pass as comment on how bland they usually were. But that song and then that weekend...blimey!

Twed

The Lightning Seeds - Sugar Coated Iceberg

Laying in bed post-Xmas 1995 eating sugar coated almonds while this played on the CD/radio player combo I got as my main present. Obv I associated the almonds with the icebergs in this bland song.

mrpupkin

Dreams by Gabrielle, the ash trays on my primary school bus and the foul dust within.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on September 03, 2018, 03:13:33 PM

She and him then had a weekend of what seemed like  non-stop noisy sex while I was ill in bed. I can't say I enjoyed hearing it too much. However after that (and even after he moved in) I never heard anything like that again from next door. Very strange. Their surnames were Grey and Brown which I think could pass as comment on how bland they usually were. But that song and then that weekend...blimey!

I wonder if she gave him a weekend of non-stop nooky and then on Monday morning said, "That's yer lot, mate" and pulled up the drawbridge?

Twed

Quote from: mrpupkin on September 03, 2018, 04:28:10 PM
Dreams by Gabrielle, the ash trays on my primary school bus and the foul dust within.
Being in the same Austin Maestro mentioned above, driving along the B1414 (again), and saying to my mother:

"She's so nasal it sounds like she's saying 'trains can come true'. Well, they did for the Victorians!" and then feeling like I wanted to bully myself.

Sebastian Cobb

I remember Cat's in the Cradle playing on the radio in my mates mum's xr3i.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 03, 2018, 04:32:03 PM
I wonder if she gave him a weekend of non-stop nooky and then on Monday morning said, "That's yer lot, mate" and pulled up the drawbridge?

Well they did end getting married, so yes, I can imagine that being the case.

dex

Bones by Radiohead, or pretty much any track off The Bends, as that was a go-to for doing my homework music.

Chriddof

Crystal Waters - "Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless)"

Me and the rest of my family in my dad's Volvo circa 1991, driving from Leatherhead and onward towards Malden Rushett on the roundabout which joins the A244 and the A243, which also happens to be used as an exit from Junction 9 on the M25.

non capisco

Quote from: Chriddof on September 04, 2018, 03:12:16 AM
Crystal Waters - "Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless)"

I don't quite know why I find the parentheses in that song title amusing.

Almost as good as Lionel Richie's 'All Night Long (All Night)'.