Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 13

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 02, 2018, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I know, it's yet another thread for the show, but I thought there should be one dedicated for the thirteenth season, the first episode of which has now leaked is available on RarBg.

Ferris

I don't know what that is, but I'm really excited for the new season.

Small Man Big Horse

Rarbg's one of those torrent sites you get these days. And man, that was fantastic, it's so good to have the gang back. I won't go in to too much detail just yet, but the Dennis doll was the highlight for me, especially when the waitress fucks him. Mindy Kaling was great too, which surprises as I really didn't get on with The Mindy Project.

Edit: Here's a review I wrote of it for my site, but I've put it in transparent text as it contains major spoilers:

QuoteI was a late comer to It's Always Sunny, partially as I watched the pilot episode when it first aired and it didn't really work for me. But a friend suggested I start from season 3 (and later revisit the early episodes) and I quickly fell madly in love with the show. It's dark, twisted, silly and bizarre, and builds on the absurdity of it's scenarios with glee, and it quickly became one of my favourite ever series. However after Glenn Howerton threatened to leave, and is now only a part timer on the show and no longer involved with scripting duties, there were a lot of concerns that the series would suffer from this. Thankfully this hasn't been the case with this episode, though his presence is still felt due to Mac buying a disturbingly realistic if creepy Dennis sex doll, which is used throughout to perturb and distress to beautiful effect.

Meanwhile Mindy Kaling is now part of the gang, at least for this initial episode, and the show acts as if she's been part of the group for a fair old while, indeed it looks like she's taken over Dennis's role as de facto leader of them all. Whilst I liked her in The Office I never got on with The Mindy Project so wasn't sure how well she'd fit in, but she does so perfectly as she attempts to control our beloved motley crew. Though alas her plans don't go to plan, as the Dennis doll soon begins to influence everyone else.

There's an enormous amount to love about this opening episode, from Mac showing off his new six pack which all of the gang are completely unimpressed by, and mock heavily, to Charlie dating the waitress and inevitably treating her poorly. So it's perhaps not a surprise when she ends up having sex with the Dennis doll, and breaks up with Charlie intending to stay with it instead, but the scene is perfectly constructed and full of laugh out loud moments.

There's a cliche when it comes to film and tv that it's always better to show and not tell, but It's Always Sunny subverts this in quite a few places, firstly when the waitress fucks the Dennis doll, and then later when Cindy describes the inevitable orgy that took place with Frank, Mac, Charlie, Dee and the doll. It probably shouldn't be a revelation though as the show's always reliably broken standard conventions in an impressively skilful manner. Along these lines towards the end there's a lot of meta talk about leaving Dennis behind, only for Dennis to suddenly pop up, which might be how you'd expect the series to handle his departure, and yet it's still a joyous moment. Inevitably Cindy's dispatched by the end of the episode, which is a shame as Kaling puts in some sterling work here, but as her character takes on the Dennis role in the group it's clear she's not needed.

It's not as strong an opener as season 12's, but considering that was one of the show's finest ever episodes it isn't a surprise, and there's an awful lot to enjoy here, and it truly is great to see the gang back on our screens.

Clownbaby

Thanks lad, will download this like the WIND

I'm so excited

up_the_hampipe

That was like the perfect opener in many ways. Even managed to make Mindy Kaling seem worth the booking, which is no easy feat.

So glad to have these stupid fuckers back.

remedial_gash

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 02, 2018, 06:36:26 PM
That was like the perfect opener in many ways. Even managed to make Mindy Kaling seem worth the booking, which is no easy feat.

So glad to have these stupid fuckers back.
It was so much better than I imagined it could be, smbh does a decent roundup of the key points, and I laughed a lot more than I was expecting to, thank crikey it wasn't a high concept job like 'the gang turns black'.

Thought Mindy Kaling was pretty good too; so they are allowed to say fuck now - I know they did a 'cunt' sesh last season...  but I quite like the restraint they use when describing awful things, including the Dennis sex doll orgy.

EDIT : So is Dennis in the entire season and was it a red herring in the double life exit?

Ferris

Last line of the episode made me cackle but otherwise I wasn't blown away. Might rewatch it and see how many jokes I was missing.

So excited for this to be back though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 02, 2018, 08:21:54 PM
Last line of the episode made me cackle but otherwise I wasn't blown away. Might rewatch it and see how many jokes I was missing.

So excited for this to be back though.

You should as it was hilarious throughout and something must have damaged your ability to recognise this whilst watching it. Maybe a falling meteor, or something along those lines.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 02, 2018, 11:06:14 PM
You should as it was hilarious throughout and something must have damaged your ability to recognise this whilst watching it. Maybe a falling meteor, or something along those lines.

Could have been a nuclear war. Will give it another shake and see.

I have a lot of fondness for the show so I must have not been paying attention or something.

AsparagusTrevor

I loved it, I'm quite impressed they managed to keep the lack of the lack of Dennis a secret.

Dennis-doll's mouth when Charlie was playing his arsehole like a tuba made me lose it.

selectivememory

Very good. Mac brought most of the laughs for me. He's been the best thing about the show for a couple of seasons now.

Think the Mindy thing could have played out better over a couple of episodes, as it felt a bit rushed - I liked the idea of the gang working with someone much better at pulling off these scams than them, but still managing to sabotage themselves through their usual idiocy. But I guess they wanted to make sure Dennis was back by the end of the first episode. Wonder how big his involvement in this season will be. I do feel that he's crucial to the dynamic of the group, so hopefully it'll be pretty much business as usual.

Ferris

Quote from: selectivememory on September 04, 2018, 07:57:43 PM
Very good. Mac brought most of the laughs for me. He's been the best thing about the show for a couple of seasons now.

Think the Mindy thing could have played out better over a couple of episodes, as it felt a bit rushed - I liked the idea of the gang working with someone much better at pulling off these scams than them, but still managing to sabotage themselves through their usual idiocy. But I guess they wanted to make sure Dennis was back by the end of the first episode. Wonder how big his involvement in this season will be. I do feel that he's crucial to the dynamic of the group, so hopefully it'll be pretty much business as usual.

haha shut up bird

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: selectivememory on September 04, 2018, 07:57:43 PM

Yeah I liked how Mac kept trying to shoehorn his ripped physique into everything regardless of relevance, and how uninterested the gang was.

Dennis said he was back "for now" so maybe he's not in all the episodes but hopefully he will be.

I doubt we've seen the last of Mindy Kaling's character, there aren't many one-episode guest stars in this show.

Moribunderast

Oh man, that first episode was really, really funny. 13 seasons in and it can still be this good? Has anything been up to this quality that deep into it's run? Maybe South Park, but that has about a 50/50 hit/miss ratio whereas I feel like Sunny is still 80/20 at worst and is still providing classic episodes that I'll rewatch countless times.

Danny Devito's reaction to the events at the very end of the episode had me howling, as did the gang projecting their insecurities onto the doll. Just great stuff - can't wait for more.

Bad Ambassador

Dannyhood91

SteveDave

The flapping cheeks of the Dennis doll when Charlie was blowing up its arsehole was my highlight. Everything else felt a bit flat for me. Even them discussing in the strip club that they shouldn't let the lack of Dennis hold them back and they should just start again without him.

AsparagusTrevor

Mobius

H-O-W-L

Surprisingly heartwarming episode, in a really fucked up way?

Ant Farm Keyboard

SteveDave

This felt a bit like fan fiction to me. Might just be me though.

Small Man Big Horse

I liked it but it was an average episode for the show, rather than one of the best ones.

H-O-W-L

I feel like the framing of the guest stars (and the cinematography) is making me click less with these episodes. The filming is very "sitcommy", like, it's very pulled out, everyone in frame all at once from the thighs up. In past episodes it was normally shot more intimately, making it seem more realistic.

i thought it was considerably better than the first episode.

Not really digging some of the heavy handed social commentary stuff.

First episode's political stuff felt unnecessary and taking a little away from the most interesting.

Second episode had stuff that had been dealt with better in other episodes.

BritishHobo

I feel bad for them on the Dennis front. Clearly they wanted to fool everyone into thinking he wasn't coming back, and if he was it would be limited because he has the baby... only to surprise everyone when he just waltzes back in and they never even address it. Only they kinda let it out of the bag and it didn't really convince everyone. I like shows doing shit like that though.

Is it a thing for Escape the Room games to set up in people's actual apartments?