Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 13

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 02, 2018, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Although the shoe is clearly still in bloody good shape for its 13th season, it's feeling a bit flat for me so far. Still enjoying it of course but the last 2 guest stars have left me a bit cold and I don't think they really fitted as seamlessly into the tone of the show as pretty much every other past guest star has.

Also is it just me or has Kaitlin had a bit of lip filler done? I swear she has. Just a modest bit.

They're all looking odd to me, like time is catching up with them - except possibly Charlie who's possibly only aged five days.

Mister Six

They look all right to me - except Dennis, who looks a bit gaunt. Which is odd, because he looked fine in AP Bio.

Quote from: selectivememory on September 04, 2018, 07:57:43 PM
Think the Mindy thing could have played out better over a couple of episodes, as it felt a bit rushed - I liked the idea of the gang working with someone much better at pulling off these scams than them, but still managing to sabotage themselves through their usual idiocy. But I guess they wanted to make sure Dennis was back by the end of the first episode.

That's how I felt. Maybe a couple of episodes would have been too much, but an extended opener with an extra 10-15 minutes would have helped. As it is, Mindy felt like a plot mechanism rather than a character, and the gang's descent into self-hatred and disaster didn't really have the impact it needed.

It was still pretty funny - and Dee's response to "Dennis's" bullying cracked me up - but it felt like a very minor episode and a necessity to get everything back in place rather than a story in its own right.

Haven't seen the second episode but I'll try to rectify that soon.

up_the_hampipe

Pretty good episode. The "we're men and we're great" stuff was a bit on the nose, but I loved all the Dennis moments.

"DON'T SIT DOWN!"

Howerton manages to outdo himself every season.

selectivememory

I loved Charlie's stupid talk and the gang bashing on the table in agreement, and all the power play stuff. But I do kind of see the point of the poster who said it felt a bit like fan fiction - Charlie was way too articulate there; he should have been misusing and mispronouncing words. It should have been barely coherent. It wasn't quite enough that he was overly formal and spoke in a funny voice - as the lawyer said of him before, he seems like he barely has a grasp on the English language.

Yeah, and Dennis's room took it a little too far for me. The outside lock and the soundproofing were funny enough ideas on their own.

Edit: Mac tearing apart that globe was the funniest image of the episode though. On balance I'm still enjoying this a lot, even if it's not quite as good as it used to be.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Remember season 7. They only addressed the weight gain by Mac in the last third of the season. I can see them explaining what happened to Dennis and his family at some unexpected moment.

H-O-W-L

My big issue with the guest stars is that they're clearly mugging and up-playing their Comedy Acting because they know Sunny is a Crazy Series and it makes it feel really off. The past guest stars for Sunny have always been relatively-unknown normals who underplay their characters because the Gang are so heightened. The escape-the-room lady felt like she was from some fucking 'win a guest spot' position, no offense to her, it just felt so out of place.

This will also sound weird, but is it just me or are the cast's clothes really clean and neat now? Charlie's clothes used to be messy as shit and all ruffled but now his jacket is neat and smooth.

Clownbaby

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 16, 2018, 02:52:49 AM.

This will also sound weird, but is it just me or are the cast's clothes really clean and neat now? Charlie's clothes used to be messy as shit and all ruffled but now his jacket is neat and smooth.

My god, you're right. I notice this in a lot of American comedy shows later in their lives, that they start looking brighter and more costumey, no longer like natural clothes but like a natural clothes outfit that was put together on a hanger in a costume dept. It doesn't make any sort of canon-sense that borderline retarded, constantly drinking, alley-almond crunching urchin Charlie would start looking clean and tidy, so I can't dismiss it as a subtle character change.

I know the Big bang Theory is shit anyway but I remember the characters' outfits in that being more subdued in the early seasons, but later on every advert for a new season was loaded with aboit 30 different borderline neon variations of a particular style of slogan T shirt, once they figured out that fans liked the t shirts the characters wore.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can't say I've noticed that. It would be an odd thing for them to do, considering Rob McElhenney got fat specifically to take the piss out of other sitcoms that look more polished over time.

H-O-W-L

I don't think it's intentional, I think it might be a result of more focused costume design. Charlie's jacket is definitely smoother at the least-- in the older seasons it was really frayed and creased, and his sleeves were a lot messier with their folding/rolling, whereas now it looks almost perfect.

Small Man Big Horse

Maybe when he was dating the waitress she either bought him new clothes or took better care of his old ones? It's a stretch, but possible.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 16, 2018, 11:42:58 PM
Maybe when he was dating the waitress she either bought him new clothes or took better care of his old ones? It's a stretch, but possible.

Maybe? I don't know, something just seems off with this series. Maybe it's because I'm taking it bite-sized weekly and only rewatching it once or twice, rather than a big binge I can immerse in it with, like the other seasons. It's just sort of felt like Season 9, which was a ropey one for me.

H-O-W-L

This episode was up and down, but the gross-out climax was wank.

selectivememory

Yeah, nowhere near as good as the original, which is one of my favourite episodes of the show. Dee was the only funny thing about this one, although she was very funny to be fair, and I did like her interactions with the former Guigino's waiter and her hallucination of Martina Navratilova.

H-O-W-L

I really liked the final scene and its parallel to the original, but I feel like the five minutes leading up to it -- namely just endless farting and vomiting -- was irredeemably shit. For Sunny they should really have known better.

gotmilk

I really liked the gross-out ending - a great parody of the ridiculous hype you get with films like 'Bridesmaids' about how feminism means girls can now be just as disgusting as guys.

Yeah I thought it was an OTT take on Bridesmaids as well.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought it was funny that Mac's Mum was 'working' and saying a bit more than usual.

SteveDave

That was my favourite of the three so far. I would like Frank's t-shirt.

brat-sampson

Also, that was our first Dennis-free episode. I thought it worked. The gross-out thing at the end was fine, considering its intent.

Sebastian Cobb

It is the sort of thing that would've benefited from a side story from the rest of the gang just to make it feel like it hadn't been spread so thinly. But then that would've gone against the point of it.

The original Boggs one had more established gang characters so they could write side stories like Dennis and Frank joining the mile high club etc.

Penfold

Looking forward to the Super Bowl episode that was hinted at in this one.

I wonder if it will be a similar story to The World Series Defence.

Ringside

selectivememory

Latest episode is very funny, probably the best one so far this season. Frank in particular was in top form.

up_the_hampipe

So they're really going hard on "the gang deals with feminism" angle, aren't they. Any other show and it'd be quite played out, but they really knocked it out of the park this week. Dee and Frank were standouts.

Mobius

brat-sampson

The role play moment with Mac and Dee was one of my biggest single laughs all year.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 28, 2018, 07:24:50 AM
The role play moment with Mac and Dee was one of my biggest single laughs all year.

I am genuinely impressed at how this show continues to surprise me in it's 13th season. Never for a second expected it but it had me and the wife in tears.

H-O-W-L

neveragain

Could someone help me via PM? I'm having terrible trouble finding the eps this season. Please and thankyou.