Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:53:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shadow (Ultra PC settings on the bog)

Started by The Boston Crab, September 02, 2018, 10:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone heard of this or tried this out? It's an app (or a streaming box) with a monthly subscription which basically streams from a maxed out PC to whatever device you've got. For example, I could stream the new Tomb Raider to my phone while I'm on the John in 4K with HDR and so on. Or for someone with a piece of shit PC I can stream my Steam games off this ultrahub obelisk to my wooden crap box and they're in 4K. I can't be bothered describing it any more but it actually really works. No noticeable input lag. It puts the likes of PS Now into the dark ages.

Obviously internet dependent but I have unlimited blah blah fibre blah so it's fast as fuck. About twenty five quid a month, granted, but there are plenty of £10 off codes floating around. No subscription required.

Real talk. Anyone with a lower spec PC considering upgrading the graphics card or whatever, I would enormously recommend trying this first. It works pretty much flawlessly for me, I only have a 1080p display but I'm pumping everything to max on Forza 7 just to see what happens and I can't actually believe this is streaming.

Apparently the next MS console will have a cheaper streaming box option as well as the traditional hardware. If this is anything to go by, I think that might be my choice.

Zetetic

You literally log into a Windows 10 PC and can do what you want. I assume they have some legal whatever so you don't use it as a torrent farm.

Zetetic

Ah, I see. Semi-dedicated (? I think?) Windows 10 box hosted in France.

Hyperlink.

Just realised that after spending two hours trying to set up The Witcher 3 without it crashing on launch, this is why I never bothered getting a better PC. This is some pathetic shit. I don't know how you people cope. Good old fuckin Nintendo.

nugget

I had no idea anything like this existed. There's a few games in the pipeline that sound interesting but probably won't play on my laptop, so a temporary subscription to this would be ideal.

I imagine it wouldn't work so well for fast-paced online games though because it's bound to add extra latency?

Bhazor

Quote from: nugget on September 02, 2018, 06:42:58 PM
I had no idea anything like this existed. There's a few games in the pipeline that sound interesting but probably won't play on my laptop, so a temporary subscription to this would be ideal.

I imagine it wouldn't work so well for fast-paced online games though because it's bound to add extra latency?

Me neither. I assumed all the streaming stuff was years off but this works. When my wife was streaming Netflix and I was streaming the cricket, it definitely had a few more stutters and resolution drops but for the most part, it's been really impressive.

Witcher 3 on Ultra with almost no frame drops is pretty mad. I played it on the One X and I'd say it's comparable. That's bonkers.

Being able to play Mushihimesama and Crimzon Clover without screen tearing and performance slowdown is amazing. So impressed with it.

Hecate

Get a 120, 144, or 240hz monitor, force the highest refresh rate and force off vsync via your gpu control panel, lowest input lag and you won't see any tearing.

Or failing that, turn on vsync on a pc in France and stream it to your fucking phone.

biggytitbo

Do you still own the game or are you renting it?

I should have clarified that they're not offering a library of games or anything. You're literally paying to stream your own Steam account or GOG or whatever via a top of the range box in France to your own device. I had a few Xbox Play Anywhere bits and bobs like Forza Horizon 3 and Cuphead which also worked phenomenally well. I think it's probably best suited to certain genres and I wouldn't want to be playing online with it at all, can't imagine how that would work well, but for single player stuff, it's excellent.

I don't have the inclination to get separate PC stuff and having flogged half a dozen consoles last year, I'm happy with my Switch + PS4 combo, covers pretty much everything, but I might be tempted by a Shadow Ghost box when it comes out Q4, just for the convenience and simplicity. Having my shit laptop around is ugly and it gets way too hot, anyway. I'm convinced that some of the performance issues I had with Shadow were purely due to my decrepit machine.

thraxx

*former gladiator exits toilet cubicle in disappointment*

Hecate

Back in 2007 Microsoft asked PC gamers to pay a monthly subscription fee for the "privilege" of playing the games they owned online.
Because the PC is an open platform, everyone just told them to fuck off and stopped buying their games.
One year later, microsoft stopped charging for online play and refunded the money to the few gullible idiots who had stumped up the cash.

Ten years later, gamers are so confused that they're happily handing over £27 a month for the privilege of playing the games they own offline in somebody else's house.

Zetetic

It's been a bit poorly framed I think.

It's hiring a computer + a piece of software that makes remote gameplay viable.

For context, it'd cost about £18 per month to hire a vaguely comparable dedicated server (KS-9), without the graphics card.

I literally don't give a shit, I just thought I'd start the discussion. I pay whatever it costs and I'll cancel if I don't use it. It's really good from what I've played so far, much more impressive than I'd expected.

Hecate

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 04, 2018, 07:22:41 PM
I literally don't give a shit

Ruined his day.
In absolute bits. On the phone trying to arrange an impromptu fishing trip. Bunging a frozen fish finger up his pipe in desperation.