Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spiritualized® - And Nothing Hurt

Started by Pdine, September 02, 2018, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdine

Sebastian Cobb

DJ Bob Hoskins

Erm....  https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,67667.0.html

Anyhoo, I wish I were more excited about this, I really do. Judging by the few tracks released so far I'm merely hoping that it doesn't suck. Especially if it's to be his swansong (which has been hinted at).

Will definitely go see them live if they play in my neck of the woods, though.

greenman

Its rarely been aweful so much as just largely unmemorable post No Come Down, the only thing that I'v really liked after that was the acoustic version of Amen/Hey Man from a few years ago on the Spiritualised Acoustic Harem tour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dI-v0e42fg

SteveDave

<TAG> Jason's recorded his album again <TAG>

In for a penny...

the science eel

The most boring band ever. Primal Scream look talented and interesting alongside.

kidsick5000

Quote from: the science eel on September 04, 2018, 09:33:27 AM
The most boring band ever. Primal Scream look talented and interesting alongside.

I think there are plenty of others to put to the sword for dullness before them.
I say them, to call Spiritualized a band is a misnomer given that it's really one guy.
Am I wrong with that. Does he have a regular collaborator/cabal?

greenman

Seems like the opposite of Primal Scream to me who have been much more up and down, Jason pretty consistently strong from the mid 80's to the mid 90's before "making it" and spending the last 20 years releasing progressively less convincing versions of Ladies and Gentlemen.

hedgehog90

Quote from: the science eel on September 04, 2018, 09:33:27 AM

I recall being quite enamored with Spiritualized when I was younger, but when I recently tried relistening to LGM and L&GWAFIS I was left completely cold, to the point where I suspected I was listening to different versions.
Primal Scream is a good comparison for me, I don't get along with them nowadays either.

the science eel

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 05, 2018, 10:30:51 AM
I recall being quite enamored with Spiritualized when I was younger, but when I recently tried relistening to LGM and L&GWAFIS I was left completely cold, to the point where I suspected I was listening to different versions.
Primal Scream is a good comparison for me, I don't get along with them nowadays either.

They're both trying to emulate all that glorious late 60s psych/proto-punk stuff (Red Krayola, MC5, VU) but they fall a long way short.

I saw a film of Jason P a few years ago playing an E chord for 10 minutes with a renowned orchestra and I thought 'what a waste of money and talent!'. Utter charlatan.

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on September 05, 2018, 02:55:27 PM
They're both trying to emulate all that glorious late 60s psych/proto-punk stuff (Red Krayola, MC5, VU) but they fall a long way short.

I saw a film of Jason P a few years ago playing an E chord for 10 minutes with a renowned orchestra and I thought 'what a waste of money and talent!'. Utter charlatan.

Theres obviously strong influence there but I don't think an attempt at direct emulation.

Its generally I think since his love for orchestra/gospel extended to using it directly that he's become far less interesting, too many repeats of something like Broken Heart rather than say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE0lBbBNR1Q

Without the orchestra I still enjoy giving this the odd listen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-61FEHhAA

Sebastian Cobb

The comparison to Primal Scream is unfair; they were only listenable when wevvers was doing everything.

Dr Syntax Head

I've not listened to Spiritualized in years and I've forgotten how great the early stuff was. J Spaceman always seems so sad. I'm intrigued about the new record though.

Pdine

Yes I must say I'm enjoying it a lot, and don't really agree with the 'slow decline' view of Pierce's career. Songs in A&E is one of my favourite Spiritualized records, and I've always found Lazer Guided Melodies to be pretty overrated, albeit still a fantastic album. It was a cunt's trick to not split the tracks of the original CD though.

SteveDave

I'm listening to this now and the first song is just "Ladies And Gentlemen We're Floating In Space" (the song) with a ukulele isn't it?

Hundhoon

I dont know why this has turned into Primal Scream bashing thread...the trilogy of albums Primal Scream put out between 1997 and 2002...Vanishing Point, Xtrmntr and Evil Heat were just amazing. can someone please tell me why they sucked?

Exhilarating, difficult weird oddly produced rock n roll pushing boundaries, mixing Industrial, Krautrock, Post Punk and Dub and Garage rock, somehow managed to include various strains of electronica and Ambient music at the same time.

I mean they were an old band at that point, but they sounded way more vital and sexy  than the other sterile post birtpop shit of that period.

the science eel

I came across a burnt-out motorcycle in the street this morning, no wheels, no seat, just a charred metal skeleton. It had obviously been stolen and dumped by a gang of teenage wild boys. It was the most beautiful thing I've seen since last night's evening sky. You don't find 'art' in galleries, it's all around you. The city is alive and on fire. Long may it burn.

greenman

Basically Major Bob makes it very hard to buy into him as some kind of genuine tortured artist type.