Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Real life newsreaders in fictional works

Started by garnish, September 02, 2018, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnish

Spotted Andrew Marr in the new Bodyguard series.  Shaun of the Dead had a few real life ones like the chap on Channel 4 news who pissed off Robert Downey Jr.

My reaction is to think.. shouldn't Marr be getting on with his real job of telling us Corbyn is an anti-semite? Anyway.

What do you think? Does it take you out of the moment?

Sebastian Cobb

The Thick of It chopped up old Paxman footage to make it look like Ben Swain was getting a grilling. It worked well.

Thomas

Under Russell T Davies showrunning, rooting the fiction in a soap operatic real world, Doctor Who seemed to give real newsreporters - and other media figures besides - more screentime than the actual news, and Moffat continued to dabble on occasion. Marr reported as aliens infiltrated Downing Street, Huw Edwards gave a rousing speech at the 2012 Olympics, Nicholas Witchell witnessed a spaceship replica of the Titanic, and Bill Turnbull interviewed Charles Dickens.

Derek Acorah cropped up once, complaining that he was 'out of a job' since ghosts had begun appearing all over the world.

Emma Raducanu

The only time a confluence of reality and fiction worked for me was when Larry David appeared on Judge Judy.

NurseNugent

studpuppet

Edge Of Darkness features Kenneth Kendall, Sue Cook and Robin Day.

In fact, Kenneth gets about quite a bit, both playing himself and fictional newsreaders: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447611/

magval

John Beard as self in both Arrested Development and the 90s Spider-Man 'toon

Happened a lot in The Goodies, especially Corbet Woodall, although Michael Aspel was another one too.

mothman

NoSleep

Joan Bakewell in The Adventures Of Barry McKenzie.

Cold Meat Platter

the

Robert Dougall in Filthy Rich & Catflap. (Although, up until I checked just now, I thought it was Peter Woods.)

Alberon

Sky News bobbleheads often pop-up in big budget action films, not just Fox ones IIRC.

Petey Pate

The whale news anchor in Bojack Horseman is voiced by Keith Olbermann.

Absorb the anus burn

Gordon Honeycomb appears in the film Who Dares Wins.

kidsick5000

Wolf Blitzer even gets to step out from the desk and act as Simon Pegg (sort of) in M:I Fallout.
I'm not against such things but given the state of US news and politics, at the back of my mind I did wonder if that was the best use of his time. Like when scientists say they've made ants brew coffee and your first thought is "You know cancer is still a thinng, right?"

Jerzy Bondov

I thought Andrew Marr was appalling in Bodyguard. Extremely annoying and affected delivery. But he's like that anyway

Rocket Surgery

Perd Hapley from P&R (Jay Jackson) was a newsreader for 20 years before switching to acting. I think every character he's played to date has been a newsreader.

Ambient Sheep

Saw CaB favourite Simon McCoy in the otherwise-execrable Humans S03E06 the other night.