Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Killed Jonnie Macaque?

Started by Glebe, September 04, 2018, 03:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Trad. arr.

Jonnie Macaque was a macaque of the people
He was salt of the earth, a good, hard railroad worker
Came out of Tucson with his wife and macaque children
They shot him down one night in Missouri

Who Shot Jonnie Macaque?
Why why why why?

He was known to be helpful, a macaque of the unions
Would always help when someone was in trouble
Didn't like no rich folks or corrupt politicians
He put his life on the line for the sake of the people

Who Shot Jonnie Macaque?
Why why why why?

They say his ghost now haunts the Mississippi Delta
Doing strange things just off of the highway
Planting apricots inside discarded KFC boxes
Gently rubbing a gander on the side of it's nutsack

Who Shot Jonnie Macaque?
Why why why why?

"A classic of America folk music. Use a capo at the fourth fret."

- Bob Seger, Rolling Stone magazine interview, 1998

Maurice Yeatman

Maybe I've been suddenly struck down by whatever Glebe has got, but I swear this macaque is doing a Larry Grayson impression.

Ferris

I got the guitar out and did a version of this. Capo on 3, F-C-G-C with a descending bass C major (/b, Am, F) bit for the "why why why". It's not bad, could certainly pass for some of old Bob "macaque-man" Dylan's early stuff.

Glebe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 09, 2018, 11:53:26 PMI got the guitar out and did a version of this. Capo on 3, F-C-G-C with a descending bass C major (/b, Am, F) bit for the "why why why". It's not bad, could certainly pass for some of old Bob "macaque-man" Dylan's early stuff.

I want to hear a recording of this, Ferris. We can add it to the history of macaque folk I'm cataloguing.

Ferris

Mrs Ferris is travelling so the front room high-end recording studio is available tonight. I can't sing for shit, but I'll lay down the backing track if anyone else more talented wants to do the rest.

Ferris

As promised.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0M3HnxNOEqT

Can you hear all the mistakes? Rubbish. Former professional musician my arse.

I did an intentionally poor Dylan impersonation over the top but I'm a bit too self-conscious to post that. I hate recordings of my own voice. Never known why.

I did one full cycle of chords per line of verse, and I doubled up the chorus. All yours!

Ferris

God I've got the bug to start recording stuff again. I could just plug one of my guitars in, do a bit of lead in the back. Bang some spoons together for percussion. I bet that ukulele would make a serviceable washboard soundalike. Hey the piano would be nice to root it all down and I have a keyboard that could fill in for a double bass........

Thanks, Glebe! My passion is reignited by some quite poor guitar playing. It's a macaque miracle!

Glebe

Nice one Ferris! I might have to do a really bad Bob Dylan impersonation give Bob Dylan a shout and ask him to record some vox!

Ferris

I've had some thoughts on the chord progression on the chorus. I think it should be

C C/B Am
F C G

May give this another bash tonight, though Mrs Ferris is home and I'm not sure she fully embraces the macaques as much as we'd all like.

non capisco

Don't pretend this isn't already a Dylan original, Ferriswheel and Glebe. 

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0AWX7R0qKyO

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on September 15, 2018, 11:38:30 PM

Excellent work! Dylan still sounds great after all these years.

Edit: seriously though, that's ace. Cranked it out of the big speakers, even Mrs Ferris admitted it was very good. Got a huge chuckle out of me.

Glebe - if you discover more macaque-folk lyrics, post 'em here. We'll try and stick a full album together.

MrsWarboysLover

I'm normally a lurker but I just want to say two things:

I'm a big Glebe fan, and I'm pleased to be around to witness his "Macaque" period, i think critics  will look back on this as a high point in his ouvre.
Secondly, that song is absolutely fantastic, I think CAB needs more songwriting because the quality is always stellar.

Keep up the good work, chaps

Ferris

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on September 16, 2018, 12:38:33 AM
I'm normally a lurker but I just want to say two things:

I'm a big Glebe fan, and I'm pleased to be around to witness his "Macaque" period, i think critics  will look back on this as a high point in his ouvre.
Secondly, that song is absolutely fantastic, I think CAB needs more songwriting because the quality is always stellar.

Keep up the good work, chaps

Agree with all of this. Glebe & NCapisco; kudos!

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on September 15, 2018, 11:38:30 PM

That is quite simply fantastic. Thanks, Bob Dylan!

Cheers for those kind words Mrs.Warbobs... I believe twas Ferris wot originally posted the macaques picture, ushering in the Macaque Era. Long may it reign!

Ferris

Quote from: Glebe on September 16, 2018, 10:12:43 AM
That is quite simply fantastic. Thanks, Bob Dylan!

Cheers for those kind words Mrs.Warbobs... I believe twas Ferris wot originally posted the macaques picture, ushering in the Macaque Era. Long may it reign!

Don't be modest! Posting a macaque image is one thing - what The Macaques have become is so much more. Terrific work, Glebe.

All hail The Macaques, and their glorious thousand year reign!

ziggy starbucks

amazing thread, well done everyone.

Ferris

[tag]We've got to lose that sax solo![/tag]

Glebe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 16, 2018, 05:53:37 PMDon't be modest! Posting a macaque image is one thing - what The Macaques have become is so much more.

I'm really surprised how they've grown, from humble beginnings. You could say they are the Chuckle Brothers of the jungle realm!

Bhazor

Remember before sex, say to yourself Johnny MaCock.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: Glebe on September 16, 2018, 07:50:25 PM
I'm really surprised how they've grown, from humble beginnings. You could say they are the Chuckle Brothers of the jungle realm!

Oh dear

ziggy starbucks

the song has been in my head all day.

but what are the answers to the questions

1) who killed Jonnie Macaque?

and

2) why?

Ferris

It is still an open case - though the classic folk song brought much attention to the unsolved crime, it has never been conclusively proven one way or another. The controversial 2002 miniseries on The History Channel "Jonnie Macaque: Cold Case" (show on 5ive in the UK) concluded it was a fellow union-macaque but that theory was dismissed by academics at the time.

ziggy starbucks

any truth to the rumours that Jonnie was a drunk and a wife beater who may have been killed over his gambling debts?

Ferris

No - seems to be entirely fabricated by the Pinkertons to foment anti-union sentiment. Surprised it is still getting preached as gospel on here.

non capisco

Hey, guess what, everyone? I've found out that none other than BILLY BRAGG recorded his own interpretation. I must stress though that I bought this cassette at Dartford market and it might not be the actual Billy Bragg but just some tosser doing an impression of him.

https://soundcloud.com/ross-patrick-3/billy-bragg-sings-who-killed

Ferris

A slightly pissed-up Nick Cave offered me this backing track while out and about on my travels - I note he has stayed in Eb which I appreciate. His vocals didn't record though, which is a pisser.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1qm2OQfXuMt

Perhaps a listener can provide the missing vox?

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on September 17, 2018, 11:13:59 PM
Hey, guess what, everyone? I've found out that none other than BILLY BRAGG recorded his own interpretation. I must stress though that I bought this cassette at Dartford market and it might not be the actual Billy Bragg but just some tosser doing an impression of him.

Fuck me, that is astounding. Possibly the greatest thing ever posted here. Have all Karma, and cheers, Billy!

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on September 17, 2018, 11:13:59 PM

Tremendous work.

pancreas