Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MOBAs and online Card Games, who actually plays this shit?

Started by Fry, September 05, 2018, 04:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Apprently Valve have a new card game coming out, the idea of this piques my interest less than a list of updates to the next Fifa Ultimate Team mode.

But at least Fifa's UT is linked to some kind of engaging, functionally interesting multiplayer experience. Say what you want about football games* at least they are exciting to play. Who actually.... You know what I started this thread but in making that post-script I realised that's a more interesting thing to talk about.

Why are football games the best?

*and don't say anything bad, I think football games are the ultimate local 2 player adversarial experience. They are the perfect mix of of strategy and reaction, the rules of football lend themselves perfectly to the meta-game of keeping once's nerve in a room sat next to an opponent. They are like fighting games if fighting games didn't have an upper level of boring bullshit to do with "cancelling" or whatever that only boring bastards learn and then lord over everyone else. Yeah maybe you can change formation or defensive tactics in the pregame part of a pro evo or fifa match but everyone knows that barely makes a difference, it's all about your resolve. Football games are the best. And I say this as someone with pretty much zero interest in actual football

Fry

Slotting a through-ball past their defense in the 89th minute is infinitely more satisfying than throwing out the same combo that your withered old claws have had imprinted in their muscles after 50 hours of practise mode.

ziggy starbucks

I watched a bit of the Dota International competition recently and didn't really get it. The game seems to have an amazingly diverse set of combat mechanics but why would I want to learn them? There's no story, its all multiplayer, the maps are rudimentary and the graphics are unappealing. Millions of people play and love the game to the point where tournaments can be held in which the winning team alone gets 11 million dollars. The gameplay 'meta' is the topic of endless youtube videos and debates around the world.

but I don't even feel slightly tempted to play for a minute.

DocDaneeka

I played a bit of the standalone card game Gwent as I liked it in The Witcher 3 but it wasn't as fun when you had to play real players and couldn't easily win.

I like card games when they're a fun minigame in an RPG or something but these Magic the Gathering type bollocks which try to get you  to spend money on "card packs" are a load of shit.

Barry Admin

I like card games, and every few years I'll play them and have a ball, but I could never really commit to them. I should really get back to Gwent, actually.

MOBA's on the other hand are dog eggs. I can't even play Diablo 3 because it's that same mindless fucking clicking for combat. Just clicking while your cooldowns cycle, no, it's awful.

Hecate

Have you had a go of Slay The Spire? That takes zero commitment.
It's more of a choose your own adventure turn based dungeon crawler than a card game. It's a card game that idiots like me can play!

Barry Admin

Seems like a good time to get back into Gwent, they're going to wipe it soon and bring out a new, final version called Homecoming.

But yeah, it's either a grind or a cash grab. I just borrowed a fiver so I could get the starter pack, so I can take advantage of today's "guaranteed legendary" special. Then at the wipe, all those cards will be turned to scrap and you'll have the value of them to make and buy new ones.

It's so overwhelming though, CDPR have really done a lot of work over the last year. I can't believe how long the game has been in preview! Coming up with strategies is where it all pays off for me though, but I guess I often find things stick to close to a meta and don't allow for true creativity. I dunno.

Noonling

Quote from: Hecate on September 05, 2018, 11:56:40 PM
Have you had a go of Slay The Spire? That takes zero commitment.
It's more of a choose your own adventure turn based dungeon crawler than a card game. It's a card game that idiots like me can play!

Yeah, I've been playing that as it was advertised as being a bit roguelike. It's not multiplayer or anything (which is a plus for me). It's pretty good as far as card games go and feels a bit puzzle-y sometimes which is nice. The three different classes play quite different too. Still...it's a card game.