Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:04:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'The film stars Ben Schwartz as Sonic the Hedgehog...

Started by hedgehog90, September 05, 2018, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

They also made him a running phone app wanker

Will have to imagine Dr robotnik as Boston Crab

magval

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 30, 2019, 07:08:51 PM
Baffling music choice.

Didn't even realise until you mentioned it. I've become so accustomed to these trailers just choosing any big song from past charts and expecting us to get it.

WHY Gangster's Paradise?

colacentral

My first thought was the music choice too. I kept waiting to have that "oooh" moment where it all clicks into place but no, they just picked a song that came up on shuffle on Spotify that day.

alan nagsworth

By the way for the naysayers bemoaning the fact that Eggman isn't a fatty, let's remember how much the bad guys in the Super Mario films had their appearances changed for the big screen. And LOOK HOW GOOD THOSE FILMS WERE.

Urinal Cake

Apart from Sonic's design this looks like a generic  cash-in movie.

Also Schwartz > Reynolds

Kelvin

Even Carrey looks like he can't be arsed. Honestly one of the most baffling and point missing trailers I've ever seen. Rightfully seems fundamentally ashamed of the property.

colacentral

Even just pick a cliche music choice like "Don't Stop Me Now" or "Mr. Blue Sky," then it at least makes sense (hey there mr. blue) as opposed to actively making the film less appealing.

Seems like almost everyone involved from top to bottom has conspired to make this as much of an abortion as possible as punishment for whichever CEO mandated it in the first place.

Kelvin

I thought Jim Sterlings' quip summed it up well:

"It looks... It looks like it will please a boardroom of marketing executives."

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on April 30, 2019, 09:43:49 PM
Even Carrey looks like he can't be arsed. Honestly one of the most baffling and point missing trailers I've ever seen. Rightfully seems fundamentally ashamed of the property.

That's the thing, yesterday I saw the images of Carrey and thought "this is so stupid it could be funny" but his performance isn't even that wacky. Seemed quite restrained... unless it's just you know... so he's got something to build to later on.

Consignia

At least they got a child abuse joke in there. In case this wasn't enough of a car crash.

I've seen a lot of comments saying "Jim Carrey's at least good in this". But he's not. He's just as shit as everything else on display here.

Thursday

And yeah Gangster's Paradise... you don't even really notice it at first what with everything else going on.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 30, 2019, 08:25:52 PM
By the way for the naysayers bemoaning the fact that Eggman isn't a fatty, let's remember how much the bad guys in the Super Mario films had their appearances changed for the big screen. And LOOK HOW GOOD THOSE FILMS WERE.

A lot of comments saying hopefully Jim Carrey will save it and despite it looking shit they think he'll do a good job but Im not so sure

No issue with him not being a big fat ginger monster; think in some of his latest incarnations hes being designed as a tad less carb-heavy...but looking at the trailer it just feels like Jim Carrey isnt playing dr.Robotnik...its feels like Ace Ventura starring as Dr Robotnic if that makes sense, just Jim Carrey doing his usual whacky schtick and calling himself Robotnik

Baffled that there are comments on YT and FB from peopke who have watched that trailer and are genuinely optimistic about, I cant think of a trailer Ive seen that looks so fucking awful

And yes the "human sees cgi creature and screams in horror and the creature screams in horror back" has been done to death

Urinal Cake

The teaser at the end points to Carey goes full Robotnik.

Carey is fine. Schwartz is fine. Should've had younger sidekicks. Should've aborted furry Sonic. Made Sonic cute and cartoony and full of 'tude.

I bet they tried to get Jim Carrey to wear a fat suit and he simply refused. That would be kind of understandable after the career lowlights of Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler fatting up, but Carrey looks nothing like Dr Robotnik.

chveik

Urinal Cake

I see a mini-Transformers effect happening here. Fans will hate it but most people will take it as an acceptable kids/popcorn movie.

The Emoji Movie seemed to do quite well, after all.

Malcy

Cuellar

St_Eddie

Quote from: Misspent Boners on April 30, 2019, 09:58:12 PM
And yes the "human sees cgi creature and screams in horror and the creature screams in horror back" has been done to death

At least as far back as E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 30, 2019, 10:13:31 PM
Fans will hate it but most people will take it as an acceptable kids/popcorn movie.

The following isn't directed at you but rather just a general thought that may spark some interesting discussion...

People tend to think that just because something's aimed at kids, then it follows that it should therefore be exempt from criticism, or at the very least that it shouldn't be held to the same standards of quality as other forms of entertainment.  It's almost as though some parents encourage the notion that the artists working on the entertainment which will help to shape their child's worldview, needn't put in the requisite effort.

Just because your audience is young, that doesn't mean that they deserve to be served the equivalent of cinematic slop.  Standards are a good thing.  Effort and care in what you're creating should be expected, regardless of the age of the target demographic.  If anything, the impressionable nature of children demands that more care and attention be given to what information is being imparted to the audience.  At the very least, as a cinephile, I'd hate to think that today's generation of kids are being trained by Hollywood to expect films to always be aimed towards the lowest common denominator and never to expect anything of a higher standard.

I don't blame parents for simply wanting a movie to keep little Johnny occupied for a couple of hours, so that they can take a break for a while.  I certainly don't expect parents to filter out all of the dirt and only allow their children to watch nuggets of children's entertainment gold.  What I do resent is the notion that a lack of artistic effort is to be encouraged or expected, simply because something is aimed at children.  I guess my ire is mostly aimed at Hollywood itself, although I also don't care for adults who attempt to shutdown valid criticism of children's entertainment simply because "it's for kids".  You wouldn't encourage your child to eat junk food, so why encourage Hollywood to serve them tripe?

Phil_A

If that trailer represents all the best bits this really does look like a Howard The Duck-level train-crash in the making. But it'll probably do okay business based on the popularity of the Sonic brand, I would guess.

Sonic is a monstrosity, why would Sega sign off on that design?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on April 30, 2019, 11:24:55 PM
Sonic is a monstrosity, why would Sega sign off on that design?

Why does Sega do anything these days?  They're a mystery, wrapped in an enigma.

Cloud

Quote from: Phil_A on April 30, 2019, 11:24:55 PMSonic is a monstrosity

Welcome to the Sonic brand!

Doesn't look as awful as Detective Pikachu. Both look fun enough to try

Urinal Cake

The production apart from Sonic's design seems pretty fine. Acting is fine. The action sequences acceptable- nod to Quiksilver fine. The plot seems pretty generic (from the days of ET) evil military scientist, clueless sidekick whatever.

I mean Schwartz is actually acting. He's not Jean-Ralphio-ing Sonic. There is effort and expense put in the movie but just not in the way we would like.

I think this is a kids movie in the same way Transformers is a kids movie. As in the mind of a child. If they were going for a true kids movie the easy option was to have kid as the sidekick.

Honestly this looks like it's going to be excellent, wacky Jim Carrey is back, the whole thing looks mental, whats not to like

not reading replies to this!

Ferris

Quote from: Cloud on April 30, 2019, 11:31:25 PM
Welcome to the Sonic brand!

Doesn't look as awful as Detective Pikachu. Both look fun enough to try

As it will be out around the same time as the worryingly similar (and presumably better-made) Detective Pikachu, the Sonic film makes even less sense (although it would be pretty ill-conceived at any time).

I doubt John Q Public is going to want to see both of these "cuddly brightly-coloured kids characters from 20 years ago you'd forgotten but they're rebooted into live-action films". Whichever is out first will do the least-terribly from a commercial point of view. I reckon they'll both be shit though.

Howj Begg

Urinal Cake

Pokemon is still popular with Go, Switch games etc. which is why it has cross demographic appeal.

Sonic (and Carey) seems like a nostalgia trip that dads (and mums) can trick their children into going and seeing.

JamesTC

It looks pretty awful but I am incredibly happy to see Jim Carrey back in a big film. I hope for his sake that it is a financial success so he can get back to where he left off with his career.

Who the fuck thought Gangsta's Paradise was a good fit for Sonic?

Quote from: JamesTC on April 29, 2019, 10:23:58 PM
I bet he ends up in an explosion and goes bald in the middle of the film.

Considering the clip at the end of the trailer, looks like I called it.