Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'The film stars Ben Schwartz as Sonic the Hedgehog...

Started by hedgehog90, September 05, 2018, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Ferris Jr at daycare on Valentine's Day, and it is Mrs Ferris' last day of mat leave and I'm off work.

Aka: we have a whole day to ourselves for the first time since... 2018? And it's Valentine's Day (which we both hate, but still).

The temptation of insisting we go and see this complete shit in order to have a miserable time and ruin our only day off is overwhelming.

greenman

The alternative is still wasting your time playing with popcorn though, just on CaB.

idunnosomename

SONIC

he can really move

SONIC

hes got an attitude!

chveik

looks like it's doing pretty well at the box office

Urinal Cake

Thursday

People are saying "this was alright actually" as if the fact that it wasn't a Cats level disaster means it's worth seeing.

Bazooka

Everyone's got Sonic fever, everyone is running everywhere really fast.

Cloud

Really enjoyed it.  Full of heart and general good fun. Glad they took the time to get it right and not put out the turd from the early previews

Stay for the bonus scene after the first set of credits

Bronzy

I liked the bit where
Spoiler alert
Sonic had gay sex up the arse with Knuckles and contracted a new form of Hedgehog HIV
[close]

Petey Pate

Saw this cause my Sonic fan friend was keen despite having very low expectations and we thought it might be at least amusingly terrible. It was awful, as expected.

Its best joke is in the studio logo, and it's all downhill from there.

Nowhere Man

For a video game movie it was great you lovely fucking cunts. For a movie everyone thought was going to be absolutely dreadful it's actually a pretty decent kids film. (Although has tons of nostalgia for fans of the Mega Drive titles)

Jim Carrey's shoulders must have fucking hurt afterwards though, carrying the whole movie like that. This movie was cheesy as fuck with some awful product placement but it was so zany and 90s that I had a great time seeing it.

and it's the most I think i've enjoyed seeing Carrey in a film since Bruce Almighty.

Cloud

Soon as the Blu-ray is out I'm getting it. Tickled all my fancies this. Yes I'm weird, this is nothing new. 

Shit Good Nose

Saw it today with Mrs and little Nose.

It was...fine. 

It's basically Hop 2 isn't it.

I've sat through many FAR worse school holiday kids films.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 22, 2020, 12:39:54 AM
For a video game movie it was great you lovely fucking cunts. For a movie everyone thought was going to be absolutely dreadful it's actually a pretty decent kids film. (Although has tons of nostalgia for fans of the Mega Drive titles)

Jim Carrey's shoulders must have fucking hurt afterwards though, carrying the whole movie like that. This movie was cheesy as fuck with some awful product placement but it was so zany and 90s that I had a great time seeing it.

The way you're describing this makes it sound like "Detective Pikachu", which I enjoyed enough for what it was, so sounds like I could probably get the same vibe from this.

madhair60

Totally bad movie but Sonic was quite fun

Everyone saying Carrey is a throwback in it is lying for some reason, he has nothing to do

MojoJojo

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 22, 2020, 12:39:54 AM
I agree with this.

and it's the most I think i've enjoyed seeing Carrey in a film since Bruce Almighty.

Nah. It was obviously the plan Carrey would carry the film, but he doesn't pull it off. Just felt like a load of "bits" strung together rather than a character. Baffling rather than anarchic. I don't even know what they were going for.

Still the rest of it was OK if uninspiring. Kids loved it.

popcorn

Shite film. Don't think I'd ever actually seen a film that began with the "That's me. You're probably wondering how I got here" thing.

SteveDave

Holy shit. It begins with a freeze frame of Sonic mid-chase with Robotnik and a voiceover in a "I guess you're wondering how I ended up here"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

idunnosomename

Didnt deadpool basically have that opening. I guess in retrospect it was ironic though

samadriel

I wouldn't watch Sonic, but is an in media res beginning so objectionable?

popcorn

Quote from: samadriel on April 05, 2020, 09:46:18 AM
I wouldn't watch Sonic, but is an in media res beginning so objectionable?

That freezeframe "you're probably wondering how I got here" is an incredibly specific and weird cliche, though.

And in fact, after I saw the film, I went home and tried to work out what was so weird about it. It's been parodied countless times in the last few years - for example in Deadpool as idunnosomename says - to the extent that even parodying it became a cliche - I heard three or four people do it on podcasts. According to knowyourmeme.com, it ended up being a widely shared meme.

But I racked my brains and I couldn't think of a single film that actually began that way. I'm sure they exist, but it seems it's more abundant as an internet meme than it ever was in film.

... This all means that its use in Sonic is doubly extraordinary, because it suggests the writers absorbed and deployed a film cliche via internet memes - like they took the idea of it without realising you can only do it as a joke, and even then it's hackneyed by virtue of being a meme. This is consistent with everything else Sonic does or says in the film, such as lines like "I just can't with that guy", etc.

There's a bit where Sonic pratfalls onto the floor, and I felt myself actually brace, because I knew what was going to come next: "I'm OK!" said Sonic. cringe.

neveragain

Didn't like Sonic at all, for that reason. We don't need another Ryan Reynolds-type character.

colacentral

Quote from: popcorn on April 05, 2020, 12:23:22 PM
That freezeframe "you're probably wondering how I got here" is an incredibly specific and weird cliche, though.

And in fact, after I saw the film, I went home and tried to work out what was so weird about it. It's been parodied countless times in the last few years - for example in Deadpool as idunnosomename says - to the extent that even parodying it became a cliche - I heard three or four people do it on podcasts. According to knowyourmeme.com, it ended up being a widely shared meme.

But I racked my brains and I couldn't think of a single film that actually began that way. I'm sure they exist, but it seems it's more abundant as an internet meme than it ever was in film.

... This all means that its use in Sonic is doubly extraordinary, because it suggests the writers absorbed and deployed a film cliche via internet memes - like they took the idea of it without realising you can only do it as a joke, and even then it's hackneyed by virtue of being a meme. This is consistent with everything else Sonic does or says in the film, such as lines like "I just can't with that guy", etc.

There's a bit where Sonic pratfalls onto the floor, and I felt myself actually brace, because I knew what was going to come next: "I'm OK!" said Sonic. cringe.

The Emperor's New Groove starts that way too.

It feels like a 90's or late 80's thing. I know alot of TV shows would have that episode that begins at the end, because I remember countless times rolling my eyes and thinking "oh it's going to be one of these ones."

C_Larence

Watched this the other day and can't stop thinking about how badly they missed an open goal for a joke in one scene. Around halfway through the movie, during the drive to San Francisco, Robotnik attacks Sonic and "Man" with progressively smaller robot vehicles. One of the robots shoots out electric mines that disable cars. After the first one is deployed, Sonic warns "Man", who swerves and avoids it, leading to a brief cutaway to a family in the car now directly in the line of the mine. In the backseat a young boy and girl fight over an electronic device. The father, driving, yells "stop fighting or I'm taking that thing away", to which the girl sarcastically replies "yeah right Dad". The mine then attaches to the car and "detonates", sending the car into an uncontrollable spin, there is a shot of the family all screaming inside the car, and finally it stops, facing the wrong way.

Now imagine all that, but the dad says "Stop fighting or I'll turn this car around". It becomes an actual joke!

Jim Bob

Quote from: C_Larence on May 14, 2020, 08:03:50 AM
Now imagine all that, but the dad says "Stop fighting or I'll turn this car around". It becomes an actual joke!

Congratulations.  You are now officially among the 7.5 billion people (and counting) who are officially better writers than the people who wrote the Sonic the Hedgehog movie.