Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'The film stars Ben Schwartz as Sonic the Hedgehog...

Started by hedgehog90, September 05, 2018, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Horrible uncanny valley half human fast hog - getting excited!

momatt

Oh god, that body looks horrible!
I really hope they don't fuck up this one.  :(

Blumf

Christ almighty! That's an official poster? Stuff of nightmares.

Twed

Quote from: momatt on December 10, 2018, 04:42:03 PM
Oh god, that body looks horrible!
I really hope they don't fuck up this one.  :(
You mean that when you think of Sonic you don't imagine a man wearing blue leggings?

momatt

PlanktonSideburns

Ben schwartz has never let me down before, I don't see how this could be any different

PlanktonSideburns

I've just remembered it's JIM BASTARD CAREY as robotic

Mister Six

Quote from: popcorn on December 10, 2018, 04:16:41 PM

I hate that hedgehog!

It takes real skill to plunge into the uncanny valley with a silhouette.

kittens

Blumf

Thursday

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on December 10, 2018, 05:57:14 PM
finally, a new speed of hero.

I wonder what speed it will be!

Will it be just an already-existing speed that no hero has ever reached prior to this, or an entirely new speed that hasn't ever even been heard of before?

Exciting!!

Phil_A

A realistically portioned body with a cartoon Sonic head? Yikes.

Someone I know pointed out recently that the plot details revealed so far suggest it's basically a remake of Super Mario Bros. Good job nothing whatsoever went wrong with that project.

Just looked at the writing credits, five screenwriters have had a hand in this, which is usually a pretty good indication that the finished script will be a hot mess.

hedgehog90

The thing that bothers me most about that poster is the way they've put spikes on the inner part of the C.
It took me several minutes to work out that it's supposed to represent the back end of Sonic's head, but like, inverted...?

God help this film.

hedgehog90

I spent all that time looking at the C, I somehow failed to notice that they've covered Sonic's head and body with hair!!
Hirsute Sonic, I love it.
Oh god I hope they've also gone for the classic pink bellied design. That would make a nice contrast with the hair, with a kind of dowdy, pale fluff around the edges. Maybe give him some abs and nipples too.

My expectations for how shit this'll be are now so high, it's going to be a crushing disappointment when it comes out and inevitably gets middling reviews.
It'll somehow end up being completely unremarkable, won't it?

Kelvin

Quote from: hedgehog90 on December 10, 2018, 10:15:39 PM
I spent all that time looking at the C, I somehow failed to notice that they've covered Sonic's head and body with hair!!
Hirsute Sonic, I love it.

"Don't hedgehogs have spines?"

"Not if we have to totally redesign him, John, no."

Avril Lavigne

I genuinely thought that was a shonky fanmade poster.  What the hell are they thinking?  Why haven't they just gone with the classic, iconic design of the character with his cartoonish, recognizably noodly limbs & cute oversized gloves & shoes, i.e. the design that will appeal to nostalgic adults who played Sonic games back in the '90s and the current younger Sonic fans who want him to look close to how he does in the most recent games?  Ludicrous.  It's almost as if they're trying to compete with Sonic's '90s rival Mario in terms of creating the least faithful movie adaptation.

garnish

I don't understand.  Isn't that what he looks like?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: garnish on December 11, 2018, 12:28:31 AM
I don't understand.  Isn't that what he looks like?

What, a character with weirdly human muscle groups and creepy little monkey hands instead of simplistic noodle-limbs & oversized cartoony gloves & shoes? Yes.

garnish

Is it not a live action film then? Genuine question rather than a wind up.

Avril Lavigne

From what I've read, Sonic at least is completely CG so there's literally no reason they couldn't have just gone with one of his classic designs & pleased most fans.  '90s Sonic even got converted to 3D for Sonic Generations which had you play him and his more lanky counterpart from the Sonic Adventure games onwards, and he looked perfect.  This thing by comparison is just bizarre and I can't imagine it appealing to anyone except people who don't actually like the character.

popcorn

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on December 11, 2018, 01:26:51 AM
From what I've read, Sonic at least is completely CG so there's literally no reason they couldn't have just gone with one of his classic designs & pleased most fans.

I think this is slightly unfair. Yes, obviously they could have made Sonic look like classic Sonic, but at the same time there are lots of good reasons to alter things, especially when you're adapting for different media. The film producers talk about the decision to change the design here.

However, none of this changes the fact that the redesign is obviously going to be thrillingly awful. Going by that interview, Sega aren't too keen on it either.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: popcorn on December 11, 2018, 01:47:17 AM
I think this is slightly unfair. Yes, obviously they could have made Sonic look like classic Sonic, but at the same time there are lots of good reasons to alter things, especially when you're adapting for different media. The film producers talk about the decision to change the design here.

However, none of this changes the fact that the redesign is obviously going to be thrillingly awful. Going by that interview, Sega aren't too keen on it either.

I already read their reasoning before I made my post and still none of it makes sense to me.  They want to make a Sonic that fits into a more realistic universe... Nothing about Sonic, the character or the games, is realistic in the slightest.  They're jamming a square peg into a round hole to try and please an audience that doesn't exist.  It's like saying "we're going to adapt Lord of the Rings but a lot of that is a bit too unrealistic so we're setting the whole thing on a Council Estate'.  Actually that sounds great, forget everything I said before.

popcorn

Yes, just to clarify, the film is definitely going to be shit and always was.

Avril Lavigne

Kinda puts me in mind of those newer Smurf movies with photorealistic Smurfs annoying Neil Patrick Harris in New York City - surely the first thing any fan of Peyo's original comic series, or the Smurfs cartoon, or any other previous Smurf venture, would think up when asked about their ideal big-screen adaptation. 

popcorn

It's the same with the Turtles movies a few years ago, or the Tintin movie, or the recent Detective Pikachu trailer. There is a perceived need to make the characters more real-world to fit into the real world.

I don't really believe it. When they did the second Turtles movie they added Rocksteady and Bebop and made them much closer to the cartoon design than they had for the other characters. And the weird thing is that they just looked much better. Could it have been that simple all along?

Fry

Oh god that's horrifying.

Brilliant. Absolutely fantastic news.