Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Sony Playstation Spider-Man

Started by madhair60, September 06, 2018, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

The Spider-Man actor recorded two different takes for all his lines and it switches between them depending on if you're swinging around or standing still. Mental.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 15, 2018, 08:55:03 PM
The Spider-Man actor recorded two different takes for all his lines and it switches between them depending on if you're swinging around or standing still. Mental.

Actor? :(

Jerzy Bondov

JJJ as Alex Jones is absolutely inspired. Is that an invention for this game or is it in the recent comics?

Mobius

Why do they keep making you play as a Mary Jane and that lad when you just want to be webbing about.

Consignia

Everyone loves instant-loss linear stealth sections.

I actually liked the first MJ section, but they frequently take you out of the action too much.

biggytitbo

I liked all the MJ sections, especially the ones where you have to work with spider fella. The ones with the lad are pretty nothing though, more like they were saying up a future storyline.

magval

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 16, 2018, 07:54:50 PM
JJJ as Alex Jones is absolutely inspired. Is that an invention for this game or is it in the recent comics?

Jonah's more of a background character these days, I think, though I skipped about two years of comics when they Peter a millionaire company director. He and Pete are quasi-brothers in law after his oul boy married Aunt May.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I think the Miles Morales/Rhino stealth section functioned as a boss battle of sorts, because it allowed you to feel vulnerable in a way that you just don't when you're Spidey. That said, there were too many 'hired goon' stealth sections.

New Jack

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 17, 2018, 06:42:07 AM
I liked all the MJ sections, especially the ones where you have to work with spider fella. The ones with the lad are pretty nothing though, more like they were saying up a future storyline.

I enjoyed Mary Jane sections once I realised you can do selfies as her!

Yes, I'm sad.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I got this the other day and have been playing it pretty much all weekend. The controls took some getting used to - I've still got muscle memory from the PS2 game - but once I got the hang of them is been great fun. I can spend ages without doing the main plot missions. Heck, I can spend ages not even doing missions at all and just webslinging around the city.

If I had to come up with a criticism, it's that the fights tend to get a bit repetitive. A few more varied moves would be good. I've still got loads of suit powers left to unlock though.

madhair60

I traded this in after getting quite bored; could somebody please tell me whether or not Spider-Man wins? Thank you.

Timothy

My GOTY. Enjoyed this more then RDR, GOW and the indie Switch games.

Great open world game. Very very fun.

New Jack

Quote from: madhair60 on November 14, 2018, 11:00:25 AM
I traded this in after getting quite bored; could somebody please tell me whether or not Spider-Man wins? Thank you.

Sort of. But it's like they broke it off juuuust before a sequel. Many plot threads are not solved yet

Spider Man Win Status: dubious

Mister Six

Quote from: New Jack on November 14, 2018, 01:02:11 PM
Sort of. But it's like they broke it off juuuust before a sequel. Many plot threads are not solved yet

Spider Man Win Status: dubious

What, really?!

Consignia

Nah, there's loads of sequel hooks in this, but it's very much a Spider-win this time.

Mister Six

Yeah, I figured that Spidey would win - was thinking more about the story not ending in a satisfying way.

Consignia

Yeah, and I meant that too. The story stands on its own feet. There's like one or two scenes, mostly after the final fight, which set up a story beyond the scope of this, but if there's never a Spidey 2 it's still satisfying.

Mister Six

Lovely! I'll pick it up eventually regardless, but it's nice to know I don't have to gird myself for narrative disappointment.

New Jack

I suppose the absolute definitive main plot line was resolved, but another element that is no way a negative is this Marvel game had a stinger! The sequel hooks felt glaring to me... But I was over the moon. I love this game. I want a sequel!

I'm not too well versed in Spidey lore but, much like the Arkham games, it gave me a surge to research

Jerzy Bondov

I haven't finished it but I love the way they've chosen to have some villains already known and others (including the most famous ones) yet to reveal themselves. I like it better than in the Arkham games where he's already met all his big villains when the game starts. It made sense with the setting of the first one, but the Spider-Man approach is good for setting up expectations and twisting them.

Spoilers sort of: The way they've handled Doctor Octopus is great. Brilliant interpretation of him.

It's a pretty good story. That said, I thought it was a bit naff that Mr Negative ended up feeling fairly minor, after all the build up he gets in the first half. It's as if the writers lost confidence in having such an obscure character as the main villain and decided to shoehorn one of the classic baddies in his place - right down to them basically having the same arc, motive and plan. It also demonstrates the problem with open world stories though, as it's difficult to keep important plot and character points in mind when you've spent 8 hours mucking about in between. Also, the third act felt like a big fat rip off of Prototype. These are minor gripes, however.

New Jack

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 15, 2018, 03:05:26 PM

Spoilers sort of: The way they've handled Doctor Octopus is great. Brilliant interpretation of him.

Not knowing loads of Spidey, I found it ace I got engrossed in that character and I could trace the arc the game presented whilst also retaining disgust and outrage mirroring Peter's

Tags: Gwen Stacy spoilers

While I'm nitpicking, did anyone else think the night scenes were a bit drab looking? The area just around you looks okay, but beyond that, the lighting gets really flat, with entire skyscrapers being evenly lit. I assume it's because the engine can't render so many individual lightsources. It was a mild disappointment, when the rest of the game looks so lovely - the sunset in particular is gobsmacking. I had to set the contrast on the telly up to 100 to get the night scenes to look even half as good.

kalowski

Well it's 30% off in the PlayStation store so might as well buy it.

Got The Witcher 3 for £15 too.

Spiteface

I bought it a while back,  but haven't touched it in weeks.

Taking that as a sign I don't like it as much as I thought.

AsparagusTrevor

I 100-percented it the other day, haven't done that with a game in ages. I'm happy there's more DLC coming out next week.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on November 17, 2018, 04:16:14 PM
Well it's 30% off in the PlayStation store so might as well buy it.

Got The Witcher 3 for £15 too.

I've done the intro with Kingpin and started the odd quest. Think I'll just enjoy scanning for crimes and roaming the city taking about the bad guys. There's probably big quests to come but I'm happy to swing.

brat-sampson

This was cheap in a BF sale, so I picked up. Having fun so far, though I'm still basically being guided through systems. I've gotta love any game that's willing to start as immediately as this one does. Yer Boy jumps through a window and it's just 'Press Buttin to Shot Web.' I figure I will, as that's precisely what I bought the game to do.