Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Sony Playstation Spider-Man

Started by madhair60, September 06, 2018, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The mission in which Spidey gets evicted from his flat made me wonder if they could incorporate money worries as a gameplay element in a future game. Make the player choose between doing good and making cash, like a superhero version of Papers Please. Or maybe let you sell photos to the Daily Bugle. I'm not sure how or if that could be done without turning into a chore though.

Kind of a Shenmue vibe. Get him stacking shelves the swingling fuckin prick.

Ferris

Spidey could turn his sofa and spare room into cut-rate AirBNB locations to the horror delight of his neighbours. Witness their amusement as the drunken Portuguese teenagers vomit in the hallway before collapsing on Spidey's floor at 2am.

With all that money, he could give up the super-heroing game and become a landlord. No need to bother the taxman either: ker-ching!!

Replies From View

Has there ever been a Spider-Man who was baked into a cake and had to wait for Mary Jane Smith to find him and eat the cake to free him from the cake?

biggytitbo

That happens in the TV show from the 70s, but it's a pie not a cake.

I got this in the sale and while the fightin is boring, the 'flying' is excellent. I just spent twenty minutes 'flying' around the city. Have to be honest, I wasn't aware of how Spiderman made his way around but I might well watch the films now to learn the backstory. He can really 'fly' round the cities.

gmoney

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 21, 2018, 05:16:55 PM
Or maybe let you sell photos to the Daily Bugle. I'm not sure how or if that could be done without turning into a chore though.

They had something like this in the Master System Spider-Man game. I can't remember how it worked, or even if you got anything for it, but I remember if you took pictures of henchmen, at the end of the level Jameson would say something like "Oh, yeah cheers, these are alright". If you took a picture of Venom he'd love it and go "These are mint!".

EDIT: I looked it up and found out 2 things; the Master System version I cherished was apparently a shitty port of the MegaDrive one, and you used money from the photos to purchase web fluid.

Replies From View

Why does Spider-Man always have to be bald?  That isn't even Peter Parker's own real head there - it's a disguise - so why choose "bald" as the main/only characteristic?

brat-sampson

Weirdly, the biggest issue I'm having with this is that I watched the E3 previews and so as I'm playing, I'm just kinda waiting for it to all kick off and be that exciting and it's taking longer than I'd expected. It's like in Thor Ragnarok where the Hulk would've been this fantastic twist moment, and was really well built up, but then shown in every trailer so it lost all impact. I feel like I'm being built towards something I already know is coming, so while it's all very good fun, I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop.

biggytitbo

I'm playing Arkham Knight at the moment and its clear Spiderman is modelled directly after it, whilst improving on it in almost every way. Spiderman settles on a consistent control scheme early on and it carries it through through all the different segments, whereas Arkham Knight is continually flitting from one random set of button presses to another, half the time prompting you what to do so it almost feels like its on rails.  The mix of different gameplay styles feels far better balanced in Spiderman, as well as been more refined and polished. It never feels like the different mechanics become tired or over used, whereas in Arkham Knight it relies far too much on the same repetitive batmobile encounters or crawling around in shafts again and again. I doesn't help that almost everything about Batman and its world feels absolutely ludicrous to me, Spiderman is obviously silly too but it at least manages to be grounded in reality and have well written 'ordinary' characters, everyone in Batman is either hamming it up or as dull as ditchwater.

I wasn't a big fan of the stealth bits in the Arkham games, but I would say they are better than their equivalent in Spider-Man. All the stuff about the enemy AI in Arkham was overhyped, but you did at least have to use different tactics to get all the baddies. In Spider-Man, you just wait until "Safe" appears over a baddie, press triangle to knock them out and zip off back to a high point. Their behaviour never really changes - they don't all bunch together or start looking at the ceiling when they know Spidey is around. Except for the few missions that you fail instantly if you're seen, there's no real penalty to being spotted. Then again, there's no real benefit either, since you can dodge all gunfire and even if you do clear a hideout stealthily, the second wave of enemies will all be alerted anyway.

It's probably the biggest area for improvement in the sequel.

New Jack

I think this genre - rhythmic, free-roaming beat em uppy superhero games - should have a new name. I've just been calling them Arkhams

Replies From View

So in Spider-Man games does the free-roaming activity option mean you can go off the road and eat other Spider-Men?  After all, that is what a standard spider would do in real life and it says in the song "does exactly everything that spiders do in real life".

Replies From View

Quote from: New Jack on November 22, 2018, 08:26:34 PM
I think this genre - rhythmic, free-roaming beat em uppy superhero games - should have a new name. I've just been calling them Arkhams

Shouldn't that be more for Wallace and Gromit games?

New Jack

Quote from: Replies From View on November 22, 2018, 08:32:21 PM
So in Spider-Man games does the free-roaming activity option mean you can go off the road and eat other Spider-Men?  After all, that is what a standard spider would do in real life and it says in the song "does exactly everything that spiders do in real life".

There's a secret level where Peter Parker has a bath and can't get out!

biggytitbo

The level where Peter gets wrapped up in a giant paper towel and thrown in a bin is the hardest in the game.

Quote from: New Jack on November 22, 2018, 09:35:14 PM
There's a secret level where Peter Parker has a bath and can't get out!
Are you sure you're not thinking of Old Man-Man? He does whatever an old man can. Once you level up, you can spend XP to get one of those baths with a door in the side.

brat-sampson

This was great fun. Ended up mostly sprinting through the main campaign and doing some of the simpler side bits. I'll probably go back for the side-missions, which were generally interesting, and maybe the research stations which mixed up the gameplay a bit. Probably can't be fucked maxing the challenges, killing off all th bases and hoovering up alllll the little crimes though.

Great game, will play sequel. I really felt for Peter when he accidently stepped on another spider and had to go have a sit down and a cry.

Jerzy Bondov

I've got ONE HUNDRED PERCENT on this game and both the DLC chapters. Very satisfying achievement. Waiting for part 3. I'm hoping for the following costumes: Sam Raimi films costume, Superior Spider-Man costume, this guy: