Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugged debut albums you love

Started by alan nagsworth, September 06, 2018, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Debut Glassjaw album, Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence. An amazingly chaotic, visceral, angry, pain-filled record. Skipping between great choruses and vicious, bitter screaming, with the vilest lyrics, followed by these unique melodies, with Daryl's tales of being cheated on while stuck in hospital with Crohn's disease.

Worship and Tribute, their second record, is generally considered the best, most well-rounded thing they've ever done but their debut has my heart.

Kane Jones

Iron Maiden. Shit production, but it sounds like a young, hungry band mixing the snottiness of punk with classic rock and prog. It's got bags of attitude but is still melodic and catchy. Paul Di'Anno wasn't as technically gifted a singer as Bruce Dickinson, but his voice is perfectly suited to the sloppier vibe of this record, and Bruce's operatic warbling can get tiresome pretty quickly. The follow-up Killers is no slouch either and is far better produced, but song for song, their debut is the superior record.

Posters of a certain age won't be able to hear this without picturing Daley Thompson downing Lucozade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8IuFl3sMhk

This one is Maiden's I'm Eighteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Hyz4pOXtE

Just waiting for the science eel to tell me I'm wrong for liking it.

the science eel

Clownbaby

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 06, 2018, 12:39:20 PM

Queens of the Stone Age. Fantastic debut album, chugging along with that wonderful robotic pace, unashamedly stoned off its tits, still miles and miles better than anything they've put out since Songs for the Deaf. The fucking surly amble of Walkin on the Sidewalks is magnificent, and the bass hook of Give the Mule What He Wants is one of my all-time faves.

YAS. Nice to see Queens of The Stone Age on here. Their first album is a tie for me with Era Vulgaris as my favourite album of theirs. Regular John is a perfect song.

wosl

The whole thing is shot-through with a bereft, emaciated brittleness that they never quite revisited, once they'd honed and expanded their MO, beefed up their arsenal and started to get some square meals into themselves.  Still sounds authentically jumpy and out-there.

Lordofthefiles

mojo filters

Although I'm a huge Mark Kozelek fan, I much prefer his Sun Kil Moon era material to the older Red House Painters' stuff (which seems opposite to most long term fans, who have an absurdly reverential attitude to the early slowcore material, which only ever excites me in small doses).

However I think Red House Painters debut album Down Colorful Hill is worth a mention here, as basically 4AD just mastered and released the (admittedly reasonably polished) demos that convinced Ivo Watts Russell to sign them.

Quite frankly when I listen to Bridge and Rollercoaster, I don't really hear much difference in the production - despite the latter two having the benefit of record label resources behind their recording.

Phil_A

The heavily usage of synths and drum machine on Microdisney's Everybody Is Fantastic is a sound I really adore even though to the band's ears it was far from their ideal set-up, which is why none of their other three albums sound anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrRbuFdW3M

hermitical

Quote from: Kane Jones on September 08, 2018, 01:03:06 AM
Iron Maiden. Shit production, but it sounds like a young, hungry band mixing the snottiness of punk with classic rock and prog. It's got bags of attitude but is still melodic and catchy. Paul Di'Anno wasn't as technically gifted a singer as Bruce Dickinson, but his voice is perfectly suited to the sloppier vibe of this record, and Bruce's operatic warbling can get tiresome pretty quickly. The follow-up Killers is no slouch either and is far better produced, but song for song, their debut is the superior record.

Posters of a certain age won't be able to hear this without picturing Daley Thompson downing Lucozade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8IuFl3sMhk

This one is Maiden's I'm Eighteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Hyz4pOXtE

Just waiting for the science eel to tell me I'm wrong for liking it.

I'm with you on this one...

owlboy

I've always had a soft spot for this rough début. Lattery described by Pitchfork as "a fucking mess" it sounds like nothing that went before nor came after. I love it all the more for that...

Dinosaur by Dinosaur

the science eel

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on September 08, 2018, 02:10:36 PM
Mobs Grape - Moby Grape

That's just a great album. Would you really call it 'rugged'?

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: the science eel on September 09, 2018, 01:54:01 PM
That's just a great album. Would you really call it 'rugged'?

Some of the production is pretty ropey and having several songwriters gives it a disjointed quality.
It is defo "great" though!

Utter Shit

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 06, 2018, 11:07:49 PM
Original Pirate Material is a fucking work of art. Everything else from Skinner is very weak in comparison. I love that album a lot.

Yep. It's more or less perfect.

holyzombiejesus

Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian might not be most people's idea of 'rugged' but the description in the OP could have written about it.

"The start of a musical career that captures so much magical energy of a band/artist launching feet first into their labour of love, not arsed about it being a bit messy, the innocence of youth and all that. It's not always the case, but often I feel like there's so much more to enjoy in these albums than in an artist's more polished and fleshed-out later work. A real, genuine spark of joy."

The first Arab Strap album too, come to think of it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 06, 2018, 12:39:20 PM
I'm a big fan of rough-around-the-edges debut albums. The start of a musical career that captures so much magical energy of a band/artist launching feet first into their labour of love, not arsed about it being a bit messy, the innocence of youth and all that. It's not always the case, but often I feel like there's so much more to enjoy in these albums than in an artist's more polished and fleshed-out later work. A real, genuine spark of joy.

This thread is for debut albums that are unpolished, raw and all the better for it.

SOME EXAMPLES

Queens of the Stone Age. Fantastic debut album
It's a close run between the first three for my favourite QOTSA record. Nothing since has come close. The debut does have the advantage of neither being tainted by the knowledge of Nick Oliveri's shitty personal conduct, or desperately missing his musical contribution. It's weird to think that, even at the tender age of 25, Homme was already a veteran musician, having been chief songwriter of Kyuss (much to his bandmates' chagrin) and a touring guitarist for Screaming Trees.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 06, 2018, 11:07:49 PM
Original Pirate Material is a fucking work of art.
I was a snobby indie kid at the time and the title track put me off for a good while. "What's Steve Llamaq doing playing this UK Garage shite?" I sneered. About six months later, while on holiday from university, a school friend played the album and I changed my tune literally overnight. I still don't much like the title track though.

RenegadeScrew

Agree with Original Pirate Material and 36 Chambers.

Although I suppose they got even more 'rugged' : Beefheart - Safe As Milk

Aphex Twin - Ambient Works (it is hissy and distorted onto tape so I'm arguing rugged)

Poor effort really (apologies to all).