Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

subtitle fuckups

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, September 06, 2018, 09:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 13, 2018, 07:48:59 PM
So what was he really saying? I honestly can't work it out.

Not a fucking clue.

Small Man Big Horse

Mentioned in the Strictly thread, but apparently this happened tonight:

Captain Z

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 13, 2018, 07:48:59 PM
So what was he really saying? I honestly can't work it out.

Small/full bags of salad? He must be talking about things people throw away that are difficult to recycle/sort/deal with, or that are a terrible waste.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm guessing those pointless wee bags of salad you get from the takeaway.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2018, 08:03:31 PM
Splashing Alby = splashing out a bit?

Yep.

On a couple of occasions the subtitles say (mumbles) when "Rodgers" says something perfectly understandable.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 13, 2018, 12:27:18 AM
They used to use human typists as they had a typing/subtitling test. Using a qwerty keyboard isn't usually done in professional subtitling, a common way is to use voice recognition trained to someone who respeaks the dialogue clearly for the computer;
That wasn't the case at least 13 years ago for pre-recorded content. They would type it as usual, and actually bother positioning on screen carefully, taking care of formatting etc.

Watching TV with subtitles on now I can see this probably isn't bothered with at all anymore.

Bhazor

Funnily enough I've applied to a couple companies that do transcription for like 30c a minute.

https://www.rev.com/freelancers

So thats the going rate for this shit.

a duncandisorderly

she said (& fucking meant) "would OF", you grammar nazi subtitle twats.

"I would OF".

it's quite normal up north & it isn't a mistake. we do it on porpoise.

poodlefaker

BBC News had Jimmy Savile accused of "molesting a tea woman in Gloucestershire". Now then now then, chasing her round the tea trolley, waggling his cigar. Turned out to be "eighty women". Not so funny now.

Bhazor

Sebastian Cobb

Ok, not actually subs, but still.

Andy147

A weird one I saw several years ago (hence the details are a bit vague): a man with a fairly strong (Liverpool?) accent said something like "it was a doctored picture of them". The subtitles said "it was a 'dog-turd' picture of them" (complete with quotes).

Stoneage Dinosaurs