Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musicians who got over their fuckheadery

Started by Twed, September 07, 2018, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Everything I knew about John Popper (Blues Traveler) up until now made me think he was the worst kind of right-wing libertarian fucknut. Looks like he's a pretty decent sort now: http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/334844-blues-travelers-john-popper-i-voted-none-of-these-clowns-for

Who else? How's Clapton doing?

king_tubby

Steve Albini. He seems to be a lot less of a jerk than he was in the 80s.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

popcorn

Roger Waters said in 2013 he was wrong to try to stop Pink Floyd continuing without him.

QuoteI was wrong. Of course I was ... It's one of the few times that the legal profession has taught me something. Because when I went to these chaps and said, "Listen, we're broke, this isn't Pink Floyd anymore," they went, "What do you mean? That's irrelevant, it is a label and it has commercial value. You can't say it's going to cease to exist... you obviously don't understand English jurisprudence."

Twed

Twed

(I actually hate this comic, it's going to alienate weak-chinned floppy white people who are allies too)

Funcrusher

Shit Good Nose

Robert Fripp has massively mellowed in recent years, having spent most of his working life being a renowned prick and all-around grump - there was a thread on the old King Crimson message boards that ran for a good 15 years that was basically about the various different rude ways he reacted to being asked by fans for a photo and/or autograph (one famous account, obviously taking the piss but making a point, had Fripp forcing up vomit over the autograph requester).

These days he's a jolly eccentric more than happy with the fact that his wife is infinitely more famous than he is.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on September 07, 2018, 06:15:01 PM
Roger Waters said in 2013 he was wrong to try to stop Pink Floyd continuing without him.

That's not really changing his position much is it? just taking a more subtle pop at Gilmour and co.Always seemed pretty hypocritical to me considering Waters himself forced Wright out of the band and carried on with the name, not to mention Syd although I get the impression that was more a collective effort.

In terms of general politics though Waters seemed to regress, he was pretty left wing in the 60's and early 70's on albums likew Darkside and supposedly ended up spending his earnings  buying property to rent at very low rates to the elss well off, became much more a rich man raging at rich mans concerns by the Wall though. Meanwhile its Gilmour selling his London house and giving it to homeless charities.

Shit Good Nose

Syd walked out and never went back of his own accord, and the rest of the band agreed (collectively, as you say) to not bother getting him back, something which they have all regretted ever since (both Gilmour and Wright always cried when recounting that fact during interviews).

Still a lot of anger between the Waters and Gilmour/Mason camps, I just think they suppress it more these days and rise above it professionally.

popcorn

Quote from: greenman on September 09, 2018, 09:28:23 AM
That's not really changing his position much is it? just taking a more subtle pop at Gilmour and co.Always seemed pretty hypocritical to me considering Waters himself forced Wright out of the band and carried on with the name, not to mention Syd although I get the impression that was more a collective effort.

I don't understand what you're saying here. How is it a "subtle pop"?

Waters sued Gilmour and Mason in the 80s on the basis that Pink Floyd wasn't Pink Floyd if he wasn't part of the band. In the interview I quoted, he admits that he hadn't respected that the name has commercial value regardless of the band members, that he was ignorant about the law, and that he was wrong to oppose the use of it simply because he didn't want to be part of it. He specifically says "I was wrong, of course I was."

edit: of course I'm sure there was (and still is) a lot of personal bullshit going on beneath all this. But it does seem like the closest thing anyone could ever expect from someone like Roger Waters to say in terms of, you know, "I shouldn't have sued them."