Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music you want played at important life events (funerals etc)

Started by popcorn, September 07, 2018, 06:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Me and a mate entered a pact where we were going to have Mr Kirk's Nightmare played at our funerals but then he got diagnosed with terminal cancer at 29 and we both pretended it never happened.

popcorn

Going to admit at this early point in the thread that I stole the OP joke from one of my mates. I confess this less out of gentlemanly consideration and more just in case it's an idea he in turn nicked off Radio 4 or something and one of you tossers notices. But it would have ruined the OP if I'd said that first eh.

bgmnts

I want it to be the entire side one of 2112. 20 minutes of pure Ayn Rand influenced prog rock.

I'd laugh.

samadriel

buttgammon

Absolute Beginners will be the first dance song at my wedding. I'm not even engaged or anything yet, but it's a given.

Me and Mrs G had this conversation yesterday, and we agreed that if I die first, she will play the 'Fireworks Factory' music from Spyro 3 at my funeral. https://youtu.be/N4i-cvK8s90

chveik

Merzbow's Requiem. They won't forget me that easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgOg6aYqASY

more seriously, Ligeti's Requiem would be perfect.

Ambient Sheep

I'm not saying, after years ago we had one of these threads and my choices were roundly derided for being bleedin' obvious.

Oh well, I guess they were.

Gulftastic

At my funeral, Gulf Coast Highway during the ceremony, Purple Rain to close.

gilbertharding

At our wedding, we asked the band to play 'Something', by the Beatles for our first dance. Unfortunately they misunderstood our request, and learned, then played 'something by the Beatles'. 'Octopus's Garden'.

(apparently something happened to a bride years ago who wanted the organist to play 'The Theme from Robin Hood' as she walked down the aisle. Instead of 'Everything I Do (I Do it For You)', she got a rousing chorus of 'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen [...] feared by the bad, loved by the good - Robin Hood!').

I think that Booker T's 'Green Onions' is the perfect tune and performance for all occasions. I'd like it at my funeral. Oh - or 'Time is Tight'. Perhaps both.

FredNurke

I've made it very clear to all concerned that I want the 'Merrily We Roll Along' Merrie Melodies theme at my funeral. If I get 'The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down' there'll be hell to pay.

jobotic

My friend had Going Underground at his funeral. Was perfect for him.

studpuppet

I have other songs, but my funeral's going to close with Kennedy and my mates are going to file past my coffin doing Gedge-style air guitar singing, "Lost your love of life - too much apple pie..."

Brundle-Fly

Back in the nineties, I was asked if I had a particular piece of classical music by an ex-girlfriend who was getting married. She said was it was in The Elephant Man (1980) and Lorenzo's Oil (1992). I pulled a face and told her she can't walk down the aisle to Barber's Adagio For Strings *as it was too glum for a wedding and might give off a vibe of 'delusions of grandeur'. She was insistent so I lent her my copy of the Platoon soundtrack.

In the end, they didn't use it and went for It Must Be Love by Madness instead. I asked why and she explained the Platoon (1986) version of Adagio For Strings* had sound effects of loud explosions and Mi 6 attack helicopters dropping napalm on to villages near the end of the piece which they thought was inappropriate.

*Suffering from Donovan's 'Season Of The Witch overuse in soundtracks syndrome'
https://theironcupcake.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/overkill-using-adagio-for-strings-in-movies-and-tv/

gilbertharding

Quote from: FredNurke on September 10, 2018, 01:02:45 PM
I've made it very clear to all concerned that I want the 'Merrily We Roll Along' Merrie Melodies theme at my funeral. If I get 'The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down' there'll be hell to pay.

Will it be a version with Porky Pig's valediction, or will you leave that to the individual mourners' imaginations?

madhair60

Depressed Beyond Tables

Flouncer

I just want all the women to dress in red at my funeral - I think this must have been a thing in the African American community in the early 1900s because it's mentioned in lots of early blues songs.

PlanktonSideburns

Some of that music from ceefax would be nice, a constant background noise, ocean drive

mrpupkin

Call me a condescending ballbag but pop music at funerals always feels a bit off to me. Nothing puts me off my grief stroke like drivetime balladry dribbling out of the rubbish built-in speakers of some knackered old Argos CD player that the church has grudgingly provided to appease the kind of spiritually irredeemable philistines who consider Now That's What I Call 70s an adequate catalogue of works from which to pluck the solemn final farewell to their dearly departed. Mine's going to be overbearing organ dirges from start to finish and nothing else thanks. He had a good life NO HE DIDN'T NOW LISTEN TO MORE TERRIFYING DEATH MUSIC FROM THE PAST

MiddleRabbit

Funeral music: Zombie by The Cranberries.  The current Mrs. Middlerabbit is not in agreement.

'With their tanks and their bombs.  And their tanks and their bombs.  Zooooommmmbie, zoooooommmmbie."

Don't know what her problem is.

Flouncer

I'm wary about picking a piece of music because I'd want it to be a really good one, and I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone by making them associate it with my death. I could write my own bit of music for it... That would probably seem really pretentious... Or maybe it would be really sweet; I could try and convey something in it to let them know that it's cool and that I have simply returned to the great pool of souls from which all life is drawn (I'm an athiest but this is a core belief of mine based on a realisation that I rather predictably had when I was on magic mushrooms).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: buttgammon on September 09, 2018, 11:23:54 AM
Absolute Beginners will be the first dance song at my wedding. I'm not even engaged or anything yet, but it's a given.

Me and Mrs G had this conversation yesterday, and we agreed that if I die first, she will play the 'Fireworks Factory' music from Spyro 3 at my funeral. https://youtu.be/N4i-cvK8s90

Bit of a confusing post, this. By " Mrs G " , do you mean your mum, then ?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Funeral Music : Theme From Spike Milligan's " Q " series.

buttgammon

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 10, 2018, 06:06:47 PM
Bit of a confusing post, this. By " Mrs G " , do you mean your mum, then ?

No, definitely my girlfriend. We just really like playing Spyro.

holyzombiejesus

Funeral music will be Slint's Good Morning with a specially appended sad trombone at the very end as my coffin slides out of view. No speeches or hymns, just Slint, sad trombone and then fuck off.

Jockice

Fuck Off And Leave Me Alone by the Angelic Upstarts. For everything.

Icehaven

A colleague of mine died suddenly and unexpectedly a few months ago, and at the funeral as his family appeared at the door and everyone fell silent and stood, Hooked on a Feeling started up, and his weeping widow followed the coffin down the aisle to the ''Ooga-Chaka-Ooga-Ooga Ooga-Chaka-Ooga-Ooga..." intro. Then at the end it trundled behind the velvet curtains to the Dr. Who theme tune.

Head Gardener

Quote from: popcorn on September 07, 2018, 06:12:25 PM
Here's my wrestling entrance music.

aww I still find this music sad really as the guy who composed it Big George Webley was a close friend for many years,
and he sadly died a few years ago from an ill advised dabble with some 'meow meow' and it was such a pointless death (though I suppose lots are)