Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deep State Fascism Kills Free Speech!

Started by darby o chill, September 08, 2018, 01:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darby o chill

More woes for the Infowart. Alex now banned from twitter and his app removed from the Apple store.
Along with recent iTunes, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit, Spotify & Tumblr bans, it must surely be end times for the portly cretin.
He was out bullying folks again & livestreaming it last week. Marco Rubio and CNN reporter Oliver Darcy.

biggytitbo

It's a terrible mistake, not only because it's simply a loss leader for wider censorship, but it affirms the kind of shit Jones has been spouting for years - they really are out to get him and this will give him and his supporters an actually justified thing to unite around.

Less publicised is the purge of left wing venuzeulean Facebook accounts, or pro Syrian YouTube channels, or anti war websites in Google search results. That's what this is really about. The social media giants have become arms of state censorship in exchange for allowing their unfettered monopolies to continue, and it'll be used to protect the empire and its doctrine of perpetual war from the scrutiny of independent media.

Jakey Chesterton

I believe the preferred term these days is "steady state".

darby o chill

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 08, 2018, 01:08:45 PM
It's a terrible mistake....... they really are out to get him..

He knows the rules. He got plenty of warnings. He operates similar policies on his own forum.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

biggytitbo

Quote from: darby o chill on September 08, 2018, 01:13:42 PM
He knows the rules. He got plenty of warnings. He operates similar policies on his own forum.

Selectively and politically applied though, obviously. Jones has been on there for years.

Then there's this -

darby o chill

Whataboutery. The man is a piece of shit. Selling his magic bean health formulas to well meaning but simple followers who've been conned into thinking they're part of a revolutionary resistance movement with access to secret information. lol. Like children they are. I hope he loses everything. His treatment of the parents of school shooting victims should've been enough to wipe him off platforms.

Alex Jones bullies mass shooting victim's parents

should we have a background check for bathtubs... every time we take a bath?
What a wanker.

Lemming

Yeah, they're pretty obviously using other people's websites to run a transparent soy-tablets scam, and also participating in and inciting harassment of multiple groups and individual people. Chances are if any of us started filming ourselves in our bedrooms doing the same shit, harassing the same people and trying to sell "masculine vitality" salt tablets to dickheads, we'd be banned as soon as anyone bothered to report us. The ban does indeed show that these websites enforce their terms of service unfairly - in that it's taken this long for these say-anything-for-money, lie-spreading fools to be kicked off.

marquis_de_sad

The social media giants have become arms of state censorship in exchange for allowing their unfettered monopolies to continue, and it'll be used to protect the empire and its doctrine of perpetual war from the scrutiny of independent media.

Just to clarify, you think the (US) state is behind Alex Jones being removed from twitter and the app store?

popcorn

Quote from: darby o chill on September 08, 2018, 01:03:22 PM

It's a curious image. The tape obviously has the connotations of censorship, even kidnapping and violence. But the "shh" makes it playful, cutesy, even kinky. Maybe they're into it.

biggytitbo

I think

A) silicon Valley giants aren't just any private companies, they run the defacto public spaces online that have an incalculable influence over society, culture and politics
B) they have become state sanctioned censors

The Alex Jones stuff is just pushing your buttons, it's about the war empire wrapping its tentacles around alternative media, because they're desperately afraid that theyre losing control of the narrative via their traditonal, but rapidly fading msm outlets.

manticore

Quote from: darby o chill on September 08, 2018, 01:36:18 PM
Whataboutery. The man is a piece of shit. Selling his magic bean health formulas to well meaning but simple followers who've been conned into thinking they're part of a revolutionary resistance movement with access to secret information. lol. Like children they are. I hope he loses everything.

I don't think any of these are good arguments as there are millions of snake oil sellers all over everywhere. Inveigling people to buy things they don't need is in the nature of a market economy. Conning people to believe they're part of some special group with special knowledge is also endemic.

His treatment of the parents of school shooting victims should've been enough to wipe him off platforms.

This is the most convincing argument for his removal that I've seen, but why didn't all these platforms do it then?

My problem is that (I don't think) we know the exact grounds for Jones' sudden expulsion from all these media.

Alberon

Alex Jones (who I am forever reading as Aled Jones) peddles any conspiracy bullshit going to bring in the simple-minded to sell snake oil to.

Of course, these bans aren't against free speech as the right to say whatever you want does not mean you have to be given a platform to do so. Banning him from social networks does initially work in his favour, but all in all it's the right decision.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on September 08, 2018, 02:21:33 PM
My problem is that (I don't think) we know the exact grounds for Jones' sudden expulsion from all these media.

It's the free hand of the market.1

1Trying to look good and sell people stuff.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: darby o chill on September 08, 2018, 01:36:18 PM
Whataboutery. The man is a piece of shit. Selling his magic bean health formulas to well meaning but simple followers who've been conned into thinking they're part of a revolutionary resistance movement with access to secret information. lol. Like children they are. I hope he loses everything. His treatment of the parents of school shooting victims should've been enough to wipe him off platforms.

Alex Jones bullies mass shooting victim's parents

should we have a background check for bathtubs... every time we take a bath?
What a wanker.

Good riddance.

Alex Jones Harasses Bernie Sanders At LAX & Then Gets Schooled By Random Dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rK8tNbBFM

Bhazor

Quote from: manticore on September 08, 2018, 02:21:33 PM
I don't think any of these are good arguments as there are millions of snake oil sellers all over everywhere. Inveigling people to buy things they don't need is in the nature of a market economy. Conning people to believe they're part of some special group with special knowledge is also endemic.

And how many of those good innocent kind sweet natured snake oil salesman make money from leading public harrasment campaigns against victims of school shootings and calling for violent armed uprising?

But oh he sooooooo koooky, el oh el.

bgmnts

How can anyone in their right mind defend an absolute cunt like Alex Jones on any topic?

manticore

Quote from: Bhazor on September 08, 2018, 02:51:53 PM
And how many of those good innocent kind sweet natured snake oil salesman make money from leading public harrasment campaigns against victims of school shootings and calling for violent armed uprising?

But oh he sooooooo koooky, el oh el.

READ MY POST. I SAID:

QuoteHis treatment of the parents of school shooting victims should've been enough to wipe him off platforms.

This is the most convincing argument for his removal that I've seen, but why didn't all these platforms do it then?

And the bloody obvious point of what I was saying was that the snake oil sale people are all bad, and that's the nature of an economic system that's based on producing and marketing commodities that people don't need.

BritishHobo

It's a terrible mistake, not only because it's simply a loss leader for wider censorship, but it affirms the kind of shit Jones has been spouting for years - they really are out to get him and this will give him and his supporters an actually justified thing to unite around.

Less publicised is the purge of left wing venuzeulean Facebook accounts, or pro Syrian YouTube channels, or anti war websites in Google search results. That's what this is really about. The social media giants have become arms of state censorship in exchange for allowing their unfettered monopolies to continue, and it'll be used to protect the empire and its doctrine of perpetual war from the scrutiny of independent media.

Doesn't the fact that he's been saying this shit for years unaffirm what he's saying? Because he's been able to say it for years.

mojo filters

My concern with big tech editorialising content, is that in removing truly abhorrent characters like Alex Jones - more benign conspiracy theory media pests such as Shammity, Ingrahahaham et al end up having a degree of legitimacy conferred on them, by virtue of not being excluded in the same fashion, hiding under the cover of a quasi-legitimate media outlet.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2018, 02:59:54 PM
How can anyone in their right mind defend an absolute cunt like Alex Jones on any topic?

No-one is defending him.

But imagine this was centrist CaB and replacing Jones with Corbyn and cunt with fascist

jobotic

If Corbyn attacked the parentscsnd classmates of murdered children I wouldn't have a problem with him being kicked off social media. But he doesn't. That's what the right do.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree with Contravenes Use Policy -> Ban

I don't agree with this logic: I dislike someone so if they are treated badly who cares.

That's infant level critical thinking.

Urinal Cake

Obviously it's hypocritical. Right wingers who always touted a company's ability to discriminate on the basis of profit or political views or even the open 'right to refuse service's as a fundamental right are now bitching when it's their turn.

I am growing into the belief that if people want to believe in fake news very little is going to persuade them otherwise. Further if they are too lazy or time poor to do some fact checking then that's a problem for democracy and society in general not private companies to filter.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2018, 02:59:54 PM

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."

It's all fun and games kicking people off platforms, until you're left with one voice and all that voice says is "OBEY"

Mister Six

Twitter booted him because having him on there was damaging their "product". They were happy to have him (and all the chatter he generates) until there was a critical mass of public opinion against him. If he weren't hugely popular they would have booted him years ago.

So they're turds, but they're not PUPPETS OF THE LIZARD ILLUMINATI STATE.

Jones is a grade-A cunt who's happy to harass grieving parents if it lets him flog his shitty diet pills to morons. It's good that he's lost an avenue to get his awful message out to the masses, and it only boosts his image in the eyes of the credulous imbeciles who'd follow him to the ends of the Earth.

So: yay, Jones loses! And boo, Twitter are cunts who did the right thing for the wrong reason.

I think that about sums it up.