Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Scary Nun

Started by BritishHobo, September 08, 2018, 05:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Chriddof on September 09, 2018, 08:21:46 AM
Having done my time in Roman Catholic schools as a child, I have to link the following at this point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Januarius#Blood

Christ's blood in an ampoule wasn't my point anyway. It's the redundant Jesus Christ? that's funny. "Yes, that's the one - sorry if I was a bit vague."

Hecate

and it was red wine anyway, wasn't it? The priest was simply steadying his nerves because there were frightening nuns about the place?

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on September 09, 2018, 11:27:06 AM
It's the redundant Jesus Christ? that's funny.

Can someone please confirm whether that line is in the film? Because that is funny.

In fact I'm inclined not to believe it.

Same problems with this as with the other Blumhouse stuff like The Conjuring and Insidious, every time there's a scare it's a jump scare, every time they show a ghost/demon it looks like Marilyn Manson in 2001, just when you think the film should end there's another 20 minutes tacked on. This was one of the better ones I thought because it had a decent location and atmosphere. Seemed quite Hammer-ish at times and the amazing power of Christianity bollocks message sits better in that environment than it does in The Conjuring stuff.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 09, 2018, 10:42:08 AM
What's that joke about the two scary nuns in a bath?

" scares the soap ? "
" yes it does, doesn't it ? "

SavageHedgehog

This has had the biggest opening weekend of The Conjuring franchise and second biggest September opening weekend in US Box Office History at about two fifths of It's huge opening last years, so I guess September horror blockbusters is going to be a thing for a few years.

Found the proper Conjuring films to be mostly rather dreary "respectable" horror films, but quite enjoyed the Annabelle films as B-Movies, especially the second, so I might give this a go.

Bhazor

Does it really work as horror when I have a huge nunsploitation fetish?

Icehaven

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 09, 2018, 07:06:24 PM
This has had the biggest opening weekend of The Conjuring franchise and second biggest September opening weekend in US Box Office History at about two fifths of It's huge opening last years, so I guess September horror blockbusters is going to be a thing for a few years.

I'm sure there's financial/business related reasons they don't wait until nearer Halloween but it still seems wrong.

SteveDave

That Enfield Poltergeist Conjuring film had me fuming from the start.

Set in 1977 and the first song is London Calling. Then, the mum says she can't afford biscuits for her children but they've got a colour TV with a remote control? Pffft.

Quote from: icehaven on September 10, 2018, 01:57:43 PM
I'm sure there's financial/business related reasons they don't wait until nearer Halloween but it still seems wrong.

Too much competition I guess. There's always going to be a few horror films released around Halloween so this gets a jump on the market. Also, Halloween in America tends to be a big time for parties/family stuff so maybe attendance wouldn't be as high? Even the Halloween film is being released on the  19th October instead of closer to the day.

SavageHedgehog

That will still actually be the first Halloween since Part V to be released in October, at least in the US; 7 and 8 were summer releases, 6 and the Rob Zombie reboots were August/September.

Last year Jigsaw was the Halloween No. 1 with less than $20million and no real competition bar the Halloween-themed Medea spin-off, so it would seem there would be scope for something to come along and scoop some more impressive Halloween numbers, but it doesn't seem anyone's particularly interested in trying.

Looking at it it seems like the numbers were down from the week below. Jigsaw pulled in 22 million for the week, then it went 12, 7, 6, 5. The week before the top five did 25, 17, 11 10, 8. The week after 154, 23, 8 , 5, 4. Which is a dip in other films but a huge boost for the top film (Thor opened). The year below showed similar (Halloween week - 21, 19, 13, 12 ,9. The week before 35, 30, 18, 17, 10. The week after 109 (Dr Strange opened), 58, 21, 9,8). The same is true over the couple of years before that - A dip during Halloween week. So maybe it is that people don't want to open films that weekend because they know kids and families usually are busy and single adults are normally partying. This year Suspiria is due out Halloween week, but given the length and the divisive reviews that's not really going to be a blockbuster I think.