Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Legends of Tomorrow recommendations

Started by Mister Six, September 09, 2018, 09:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Oi oi. So I've given this time-travelling superhero show - starring Rory from Doctor Who as a rogue Time Lord Time Master - a try having seen how bonkers the end of season three is (yep, that clip of the giant teddy bear having a kaiju fight with a demon), and am rather enjoying it.

But it does have that US network TV problem of cranking out 23+ episodes a year, most of which are pretty disposable. Does anyone know of a curated guide that would skip the filler and just have the essential/best episodes?

Failing that, I suppose let's talk about this ridiculous, ridiculous show. I feel a bit sorry for the bloke who plays the Professor - he's clearly a pretty talented, experienced actor and yet he ends up having to co-star alongside the burly fire-criminal, who just says each line in the same ridiculous gravelly growl. It's really not a show of consistent quality.

Also, is it just me or is the bloke who plays Ray probably ideal for playing Superman? He's got that warmth and kindness to his face that Christopher Reeve has, and that Henry Cavill really, really doesn't.

magval

Quote from: Mister Six on September 09, 2018, 09:26:45 PM
Also, is it just me or is the bloke who plays Ray probably ideal for playing Superman? He's got that warmth and kindness to his face that Christopher Reeve has, and that Henry Cavill really, really doesn't.

This feels like a trap...

mjwilson

Did you see "Guest starring John Noble"?

Mister Six

Nope! Only five or six episodes into season two so far. Just watched the Al Capone one, and a rather misguided one that tried to balance slavery with jokes about Confederate zombies.

Ambient Sheep

I can't help you I'm afraid, as I bailed after two episodes although not before having a good old rant about alpha particles before I did so.

(Warning: linked posts contain no-longer-hidden spoilers for The Flash seasons 1 and 2.)

Alberon

It only chucks out fifteen or so episodes a year as opposed to the twenty plus full seasons of Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl.

Tends to be very throwaway, flippant and cartoony, which can be a nice change from the ongoing angst in the other shows. It's okay in small doses and certainly not something to binge watch.

In general though I'm fed up with the whole Arrowverse thing at the moment so I might give it a rest for a year or two.

Gulftastic

Mister Six

Quote from: Alberon on September 10, 2018, 11:59:58 AM
It only chucks out fifteen or so episodes a year as opposed to the twenty plus full seasons of Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl.

You're right - 16 for season one, 17 for season two and 18 for season three. I misremembered. I still think it could probably be 10-13 episodes without losing much. Season two, at least.

QuoteIn general though I'm fed up with the whole Arrowverse thing at the moment so I might give it a rest for a year or two.

i get around this by not watching any of the Arrowverse shows. I watched the pilot of Arrow and thought it was pretty dismal - it was very dark and angsty, which is an awkward fit for the Green Arrow - and never really looked back. It was only that ridiculous fight i mentioned that got me interested again.

Last night I saw a good little two-parter (kind of) that had George Lucas being scared off directing films, resulting in the two geekiest members losing their powers - because they were inspired by Star Wars and Indiana Jones to pursue their particular careers - followed by the three baddies trying to trap the Grim Reaper, who is also a Flash, for some reason yet to be explained (possibly a bit of colourful, Kirby-inspired fantasy... I hope).

Sadly the one after that concerned the team trying to stop George Washington from being killed. US historicals are like their equivalent of Doctor Who's Victorian London stories, and about as boring for me. Not sure why. Got about halfway through then decided I'd finish at some later point. They had a tiny scene in which The Atom (who is white) and Vixen (who is black, but the kind of light-skinned black US TV likes) pretend to be a married couple from Boston, prompting one of George Washington's pals to remark "They do things differently in Boston!" Which would be amusing (well, not really, but...) except about five episodes ago we had a whole episode about the horrors of slavery, with women being whipped and fellas having their dicks cut off. And George Washington was a slaver, but let's forget about that, I suppose?

Maybe they broach this in the rest of the episode, but I doubt it. I'd love a scene in which he learns about Barack Obama and is horrified.

It was also awkward when they had the black fella chatting to Nazis in the second episode, but Nazis are just generic TV villains at this point, I guess.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Mister Six on September 10, 2018, 01:48:13 PMi get around this by not watching any of the Arrowverse shows. I watched the pilot of Arrow and thought it was pretty dismal - it was very dark and angsty, which is an awkward fit for the Green Arrow - and never really looked back.

Yeah, after the first Flash / Arrow / LoT crossover episodes a few years back, I went to give Arrow a try but one episode was all I stuck.  Horrible, bleak stuff.

Ironically, after the most recent Flash / Arrow / Supergirl / LoT crossover I thought the latter had much improved and I started to regret bailing... but then it ended with my favourite character "leaving" so I still wasn't arsed about checking any more.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on September 09, 2018, 10:44:27 PM
Nope! Only five or six episodes into season two so far.

It got a lot of press for "look how crazy (and fun) Legends is these days", that's the only reason I watched it, but it is an admirably bonker episodes.

Mister Six

Just finished watching series 5 on Netflix.

It's fucking great, you should all watch it. But skip series 1, and grit your teeth through series 2.