Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lindsay Ellis

Started by madhair60, September 10, 2018, 11:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Anyone else watch her stuff? I think She's Good

Yes she is, best thing she ever did was ditch the Nostlgia Chick gimmick and go solo. Her videos are much more wqeighty and intresting that anythiing Doug is making.

madhair60

Best popular film crit I've seen on Youtube, though I wish she'd stop trying to be funny! It seems to be that you can't just produce a professional thing on Youtube, you need to have this intentional stop-start awkwardness for "comic effect". She does it the least of anyone I've seen but more than "none" is too much.

bgmnts

I echo the 'decent critic but shit attempts at humour sours it' sentiment.

Dr Rock

Yes I watch her videos she's good. I especially liked her insightful study of the themes of abuse, loss, survivor guilt etc in Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, despite the use of the term 'complex feels.' I don't agree with all of it, but it's thought-provoking.

https://youtu.be/8VulkN5OLEM

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Having never liked what I'd seen of The Nostalgia Critic (his whole schtick is so unconvincing and affected) I was unaware of Ellis until that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 video popped up in my Youtube recommendations earlier this year. I subscribed to her channel immediately after watching it. I'm not that fussed about musicals or Disney films, but her videos on both subjects are interesting. Her recent three part documentary on the Hobbit films was very good, particularly the stuff about the actors' union, of which I'd been completely unaware.

I like that so many of the current crop of video essay types actually seem to take a balanced view in their critiques. Not so long ago, it seemed like the primary mode of expression for this type of thing was hyperbolic anger (e.g. Nostalgia Critic).

Gulftastic

I'd not heard of her until this thread. I watched her video on the recent live action Beauty & The Beast. I was impressed. I'm going to watch more of her stuff.

Jerzy Bondov

Liked the Beauty & the Beast video, because I agreed with it. Nostalgia Critic is a fucking useless jeb end and I detest him. She makes him look like the sack of sick he is. Any male YouTuber who habitually wears a tie can get to fuck. She's well shot of that lot. However she's wrong about Hercules not being that good. It is good.

Oh yeah, in the B&TB video she says Maleficent started the Disney live action remake trend when actually it was the inexplicable success of Tim Burton's unbelievably appalling Alice film. She also didn't mention the only good one, Pete's Dragon

Twed

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 10, 2018, 09:38:09 PM
I'd not heard of her until this thread. I watched her video on the recent live action Beauty & The Beast. I was impressed. I'm going to watch more of her stuff.
Exactly my experience. Her shithouse husband would have prevented me from ever discovering her.

Blumf

It not just films; she did an interesting vid on how Hillary Clinton has been portrayed in culture over the years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMi8_7UOnto

And that series of vids examining Bay's Transformers films via the main academic criticisms theories (Auteur, Feminist, Marxist, etc.) makes for a good introduction to the subject.

momatt

Quote from: Blumf on September 10, 2018, 11:07:48 PM
And that series of vids examining Bay's Transformers films via the main academic criticisms theories (Auteur, Feminist, Marxist, etc.) makes for a good introduction to the subject.

These vids are great, I love the idea of applying intelligent film theories to something as shit and stupid as the Transformers films.
I think I only knew about these because of this site anyway.

Dr Rock

She's 'dropped' a new one. About YouTube itself. S'alright.