Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"In a world..."

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, September 10, 2018, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

When and why did all the film trailers stop having expository voiceovers? Was it considered a cheesy '80s thing, or was it thanks to this Seinfeld trailer?

Paaaaul

Was it around the time that the Lake Bell film "In A World" came out? It was about the people who do the "in a world..." trailers.

Kelvin

It probably wasn't any one parody that killed it, but just the proliferation of parodies, and the fact general audiences were increasingly aware of the cliches.

Icehaven

Quote from: goinggoinggone on September 10, 2018, 05:41:11 PM
Maybe it was because Don Lafontaine died...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_LaFontaine

I first heard of him when he died about ten years ago and had an "Obvious things..." moment realising so many of those trailers were recorded by the same person.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Here's a nice wee clip of Don LaFontaine discussing his art and craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPMvj_xejg

As stated above, the writing was on the wall for the likes of LaFontaine when audiences eventually picked up on the "in a world" cliche. The parodies, and LaFontaine's growing status as a fondly-regarded cult figure, cemented the end of that era.

He probably didn't care, though, as he had a very successful career.

Quote from: icehaven on September 10, 2018, 10:16:12 PM
I first heard of him when he died about ten years ago and had an "Obvious things..." moment realising so many of those trailers were recorded by the same person.
I think it was basically just two - LaFontaine and Hal Douglas (seen in the Seinfeld trailer above).

idunnosomename

Now it's all about the BWARMMMMMM Inception horns

Mister Six

Quote from: Paaaaul on September 10, 2018, 04:26:44 PM
Was it around the time that the Lake Bell film "In A World" came out? It was about the people who do the "in a world..." trailers.

Noooooo, it was well before that. Fell out of fashion some time in the mid-90s, I reckon. The Matrix didn't have the voice, and that was in 1999.

It's stuck around for trailers of foreign films,  though, when they're trying to hide the fact that the film's riddled with dirty foreign languages.

I wonder if the presence of the gravelly voiceover bloke on Honest Trailers is at all confusing to any of the young people that watch. Do they just think it's a lolrandom funny voice?

a duncandisorderly

always amazes me that this guy is one of the voices you hear most often doing trailers

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 10, 2018, 10:34:42 PM
Here's a nice wee clip of Don LaFontaine discussing his art and craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPMvj_xejg

As stated above, the writing was on the wall for the likes of LaFontaine when audiences eventually picked up on the "in a world" cliche. The parodies, and LaFontaine's growing status as a fondly-regarded cult figure, cemented the end of that era.

He probably didn't care, though, as he had a very successful career.

That was very nice, thanks!

Wet Blanket

They still have a gravelly voiced guy to read out the release date on television ads, although I think he might be a robot or something because he always pronounces, say, October 3 as "October three" not "third", like a real person would.

magval

In the US aye, not in the UK where we speak normally.

Wet Blanket

I've never been to the US, I'm talking about adverts right here, on ITV2, in between episodes of Family Guy

Thomas

'... of pure imagination, one slave-driving industrialist is on a mission - to torture and disfigure your children.'

♪ Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop ♪