Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reaction videos (70s prog)

Started by daf, September 10, 2018, 05:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Totally fallen down an addictive rabbit hole here - Urban dudes listen to some 70's prog for the first time :

Joey Reacts : Echoes
Joey Reacts : The Great Gig In The Sky
Joey Reacts : Any Colour You Like
WeabooReacts : Can-Utility and the Coastliners
WeabooReacts : Supper's Ready
WeabooReacts : Queen II
Quamax : Bohemian Rhapsody

A thing of beauty mellotron in 9/8 time is a joy for ever!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What nice positive chaps. I was expecting some of those millennial types we've been hearing about, who react with irritated bewilderment to anything that's older than they are.

daf

Yeah, weeded those out!

Here's another couple from Joey :
Dogs
Bohemian Rhapsody

bgmnts

No Rush? Bummer.

Are Queen classed as prog rock? I never really thought about it.

daf

The first couple of times Joey paused the track, I assumed he was going to make some dismissive comment like, "OMG! Is this even music?". Clearly I have misjudged the yoof of today.

He did a Sissons face when the vocal kicked in on Great Gig in the Sky.

daf

Yeah, the sheer joy on Joey's face when 'the peaks' hit is wonderful - he loves the Torry!

daf

Here's his take on some Chicago at their proggy best :
25 or 6 to 4

PaulTMA

Maurice Yeatman

I almost posted Joey Reacts in the youtube thread a few days ago. I think my favourite moment is at 19:30 during Echoes, his reaction to Gilmour's cascading arpeggio riff - putting his hands on his head as if his brain is about to explode with joy.

A bit weird that he's listening to Floyd in separate chunks on different days if he's fallen in love with them that much. I don't think I could do it, but I guess it's all in service of the channel.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I'd like to hear some die-hard rocker's reaction to this and see them try to keep their metaphorical socks on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgU7oe4kBo

daf

daf

Stanley Kubrick and son check out Time

"Very true!" (nods)

daf

King KTF : Voodoo Child (live)

"It's STILL going!"

"Dude came back with a HAT on!"

AsparagusTrevor

Coincidentally I ended up watching a load of the Joey Reacts ones yesterday when the Bohemian Rhapsody one showed up on my recommended vids. Even though most of the runtime is just literally watching a man listening to something, there's something strangely hypnotic about them and I ended up just letting the next one autoplay one after the other.

I wasn't expecting him to be so respectful of them either, and it's great how moved he seems by them. Good on 'im.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Originally I thought these were a bit throwaway but for fans of the music they can incite another bout of discovery. This play through of Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Lovin' You" is a good example. It's nice to see/hear someone experience the quirks and nuances that you grew you love, but in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F4Mvn91quo

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on September 22, 2018, 12:57:33 AM
Originally I thought these were a bit throwaway but for fans of the music they can incite another bout of discovery. This play through of Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Lovin' You" is a good example. It's nice to see/hear someone experience the quirks and nuances that you grew you love, but in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F4Mvn91quo

Although he's probably taking the piss cos he skipped through the start of the guitar solo.

It was quite eye opening (or ear opening, perhaps) that anyone in the English speaking world might not have heard Bohemian Rhapsody before. In its own small way, it's quite a powerful reminder to not take one's experience of the world for granted.

Brundle-Fly

These vids are making me well up in my fragile state today. Perfect.

daf

Some more Joey Reacts on a lazy sunday afternoon:
Pigs (Three different Ones)
Sheep

Can't wait for Joey to get round to this one, but in the meantime here's
Atom Heart Mother from Tre Narcisse

Fisher Goes Berserk

If you're in the mood for something less proggy, reactions to Killing In The Name are pretty special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUxQ2_CQlw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge70EsPIw7s

olliebean

I don't suppose anyone managed to grab Joey reacting to The Wall yesterday before it got taken down?

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 23, 2018, 12:23:28 PM
It was quite eye opening (or ear opening, perhaps) that anyone in the English speaking world might not have heard Bohemian Rhapsody before. In its own small way, it's quite a powerful reminder to not take one's experience of the world for granted.

To be fair I would say a lot of the feeling of being known by everyone it had back in the 90's was due to a combination to Mercurys death and Waynes World so were now getting to a stage where people won't have strong up with that exposure.

Am I so out of touch?

No. It's the children who are wrong.

jake thunder

"First time hearing THRILLER" - Yeah right!

Pseudopath

This guy's reaction to Creep certainly took me by surprise. However, despite that being his most-popular video, he hasn't revisited Radiohead since (but did become briefly obsessed with Tool).

The Bumlord

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 10, 2018, 09:01:54 PM
What nice positive chaps. I was expecting some of those millennial types we've been hearing about, who react with irritated bewilderment to anything that's older than they are.

Try Ashtyn&Jon if you want to flinch with rage.

Quite possibly the dimmest couple I have ever witnessed. But sometimes she wears skimpy tops which is NOT why I first started watching them. You disgust me.

daf

Quote from: olliebean on September 23, 2018, 11:48:37 PM
I don't suppose anyone managed to grab Joey reacting to The Wall yesterday before it got taken down?

Joey's The Wall 2 hour livestream re-uploaded in full.

bonus ball :
King KTF gives Hey You a spin