Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roles that feel a bit miscast

Started by Clownbaby, September 11, 2018, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Large Noise on September 13, 2018, 04:20:52 AM
Billy Bob Thornton in Fargo. The role required someone physically intimidating. BBT looks like a frail 130lbs.
I thought he was great in that. He was frightening because of his intelligence and attitude not because he was some hulking thug. He could shoot you dead and then go about his day.

DrGreggles

Yes, BBT was superb in Fargo.
It was all about his manner rather than his physicality.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 13, 2018, 08:46:29 AM
You don't know much about Oliver Reed, do you?

I bet you could break Oliver Reed in half nowadays ( assuming he wasn't cremated ).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 13, 2018, 11:32:43 AM
Yes, BBT was superb in Fargo.
It was all about his manner rather than his physicality.
Precisely. And that haircut.
My one complaint about the second series was that it lacked a villain with a similar presence. Apparently the writers were listening, because they had David Thewlis play a similar sort of baddie in the third series.

bgmnts

It HAS to be John Wayne as Genghis Khan surely? I know it was the bad old days of Hollywood but still.

Golden E. Pump

Without Thornton, Fargo would have been pretty shit.

Dionne Warlock

I could never work out Jim Caviezel in Person of Interest. I was never quite sure whether he was playing it very, very low-key or just getting the job done with only the minimum fuss and effort. Either of which, to be fair, is fine for an ex-government assassin who is meant to be haunted, dog-tired, and by all accounts emotionally muted, but I think this would have been far less jarring if they hadn't cast Michael Emerson alongside him, who was fantastic throughout and brought a lot of life and pathos to the show.

On the other hand, you could tell there was a unique kind of chemistry between the two, so there's a part of me that doesn't want to say he was completely miscast. But I don't want to say they couldn't have chosen someone more suitable either. It's a puzzle.

I also felt Taraji P. Henson was a little out of place, though I can't put my finger on why and can't really fault her performance.

mothman

Something about his performance reminded me of Patricl McGoohan in Danger Man and The Prisoner. Now, McGoohan was famously prudish and that manifested itself in the almost toal lack of anything resembling a relationship during the run of both shows. Caviezel is extremely religious - a staunch Roman Catholic, he even contributed to Rick Santorum's presidential campaign. And Reese was quite a sexless character. He had his doomed relationship with his dead love, that left him with little will to live and needing the purpose that Finch gave him, but that was mainly backstory and only very occasional flashbacks. And there was the relationship with the NY fixer lady, but that was more flirtation than anything and any evidence they ever got together was implied rather than, er, explicitly stated or shown.

Small Man Big Horse

Arthur Darvill in Legends of Tomorrow was pretty terrible, he was supposed to be the heroic type but tortured by his past, but always came across as a bit moody and wet (so like Rory in Doctor Who, basically) and I wasn't surprised when they got rid of him.

Paul McGann could have been a medium-quality James Bond but I can't see George Lazeby as any kind of Dr Who.

bgmnts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 24, 2018, 10:03:24 PM
Paul McGann could have been a medium-quality James Bond but I can't see George Lazeby as any kind of Dr Who.

Not even an Australian Dr Who?

samadriel

Mobius

I loved Caviezel in Person of Interest. I liked that restrained style, definitely a grower though - the first 8 or so eps before the plot becomes more serialised it all seems a bit stilted and dull. I guess I am a big Jack Bauer fan, so probably like that sort of character - plus I liked how wasn't arsed about relationships and feelings.

Isnt Anything

More than slightly imho - Shaun Evans as the young Inspector Morse in 'Endeavour'.

i detailed why in a couple of posts back in March
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,65841.msg3433426.html#msg3433426

TL,DR ? - the nose is all wrong for a start.

greenman

Quote from: Keebleman on September 13, 2018, 03:54:01 AM
I think Robert Shaw is miscast as Quint in Jaws.  Shaw reminds me of Oliver Reed or Nicol Williamson: a namby-pamby actor who likes to strike macho poses, but you know you could break him in half.  I wish they'd held out for Lee Marvin or, better yet, Sterling Hayden.

The character giving a bit of a sense of overplayed bravado works though for me rather than just being quietly menacing and confident as I'd imagine someome like Lee Marvin playing it.