Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,325
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where were you on 9/11? No, seriously

Started by up_the_hampipe, September 11, 2018, 03:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 11, 2018, 05:16:51 PM
I did a live mix a couple of days after the event using samples I took from news reports

I might as well post this here too.  I dug out the old cd  they were stored on just the other day.

This is a collection of tributes and song parodies that I downloaded from peer to peer progs (winmx, azureus,
not napster as that'd just closed) in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. CLICKY

I can't remember where this image came from, might have even been CaB (in which case say so! Or don't, it's up to you really), but it makes a perfect album cover for the collection.

NEW PAGE FLOATING BUSH HEAD!

Thomas

Quote from: wosl on September 11, 2018, 04:15:16 PM
I still remember Jon Snow's apocalyptic sign-off on the Channel 4 Evening News that night - real "I am become Death, destroyer of worlds" stuff.

Is this available anywhere? I'm just popping out, so I don't have time to search YouTube for it, but if I were to return home and find it linked in this thread, I'd feel surely appreciative.

I recall that I was eating fish fingers with a friend as we watched the footage on TV, probably after school. Twenty-eight years old, we were.

RenegadeScrew

I was 17 at College during the day and working in the evenings.  We often had/took afternoons off to go drinking/play pool or other stuff.  Not sure what we did that day (or what time it happened) but before I started work at 6pm I was in the Gyle shopping centre and seen it all over the TV in Dixons or somewhere but assumed it was a school shooting.  It was only when I got to work I found out what had happened and must've been the only person who hadn't seen any footage.

It is a weird memory for me as it is right on the cusp of me growing up politically.  I probably went home on 9/11, listened to my dad's opinion on it, and then repeated that as my own for the next few weeks.  By the time the consequences of 9/11 happened (Afghanistan/Iraq) I was really quite politically engaged and against Blair's foreign policy regardless of what my dad or anyone else said.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

machotrouts

I was on a school trip to a PGL summer camp. I suppose it was technically still summer. The itinerary included:

- Raft building. We were split into gendered teams, which meant I was expected to go along with the boys' foolish raft design – two pairs of barrels attached by a single rope, which would clearly twist apart and eject at least half its passengers. They refused to heed my warnings, so I defected to the girls' team. The boys lasted 5 seconds before being corkscrewed into the water, while the girls and I stayed afloat. The boys took their revenge by swimming over to our sensible raft and dragging the girls in with them. They laughed and splashed around while I sat by myself on the raft, no paddle, no escape, just floating alone in a lake. It felt like a victory.

- The Sequoia Scramble. A vertical obstacle course suspended between two giant sequoias. I climbed up confidently for about a metre before I froze in terror, refusing to go any further, and also refusing to let go and abseil back down. I clung to the cargo net for dear life while my classmates patiently waited to have their go. To add to my problems, planes crashed into the two towering trees, which collapsed and killed me.

- Archery. I don't remember anything about this, except that on the way there, a boy talked about how repulsive he found Nelly Furtado. I didn't know who Nelly Furtado was, but I agreed. That's a very ugly man's name. "Nelly Furtado".

- Getting snogged by a girl in the woods. This was not a designated PGL activity, but she took the initiative. I only really fancied her brother, but beggars can't be choosers.

- Watching a woman sing a song about a banana. The premise, I think, was that the banana was engaging in various pursuits. The only lyrics I remember are "SKI! BANANA, SKI! SKI! BANANA", and "POO! BANANA, POO! POO! BANANA". I remembered the poo one because it was funny, and I remembered the ski one because I felt it was a bit of a reach. The other lyrics I think must have been a bit more everyday and banal, perhaps "eat banana", "run banana", "piss banana", that sort of thing. But a banana skiing... that was too far. It seemed to me like they were running out of ideas banana, running out of ideas running out of ideas banana.

I don't know at which of those points exactly 9/11 happened, because we only learned about it after the week was over. The grown-ups didn't tell us, because they felt it would spoil our trip. I don't think it would have made much difference.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I was wrapped up nice and warm, walking with crunchy brown leaves underfoot, kicking the detritus of dead firework casings from four days before, and thinking "It'll soon be Christmas. ".

HA !

greenman

On holiday in the US a bit north of LA, flight home ended up being one of the first to go 3 days latter.

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 11, 2018, 05:18:06 PM
"...causing £700M of improvements."

We done it boss. The Pentagon in Chatham, yeah? Those infidels will have nowhere to buy their gold clown necklaces now.

ObL: Good work lads, you'll get your reward in heav...wait. What? CHATHAM?

Cuellar

On lunch at school I think. Then we went into double English and the man told us.

Zetetic

mothman

Howj Begg

flying a plane ahah

I was at home not studying, eating lunch and listening to Mark and Lard in the afternoon. All the usual favourites like Butch Schlong and Snatch Friggett at the W.A.N.K. Cincinnati American Sports Network, talking about gridiron. The hosts went awfully quiet after a track and mumbled something about the TV. I turned it on, and my lunch was never the same. 

canadagoose

I was at school that day. I remember I forgot my book for English in period 6 and got my only black mark of the year. (You know, a mark on that grid thing that showed how many things you'd done wrong.) I didn't find out about what had happened until after school. For some reason, my Dad picked me up from school in the car (which was unusual) and he had Radio 4 on. He told me about what had happened and it all seemed a bit unreal, like something massive had happened and we were on the edge of disaster. I remember after tea I must have said something insensitive because I got sent to my room. I've no idea what I said, but it was probably stupid.

Jockice

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 11, 2018, 07:40:27 PM

I actually was buying a sandwich at the time. Not a Subway though. To this day I've never had one of them. But I had popped out from work to get some lunch and got back just in time to see TV coverage of the first plane.

Incidentally two mates of mine were up the Twin Towers on September 11th. The previous year. It would have been a better anecdote if it had been the year after though.

PlanktonSideburns

Had this conversation in work, one bloke said he remembered that he was sitting in a gcse exam while it was all going down

This completely derailed the whole 911stalga banter - GCSE exams?  In September?

We told him he must be mistaken, but he was adamant.

'My school was fuckin weird man' he said.

Cuellar

mr. logic

Quote from: greenman on September 11, 2018, 08:28:28 PM
On holiday in the US a bit north of LA, flight home ended up being one of the first to go 3 days latter.

What was that like?

mothman

Stuff it, I thought, and went looking for one of the previous times I answered one of these threads...

Quote from: moi9/11, I was delivering a toner cartridge to one of the offices at the law firm I worked at. Went in, nobody was there. I found them all in a senior partner's office, listening to the radio. I asked what was going on, they said two planes had flown into the WTC. That hardly seems likely, I thought...

moondogs

It was the summer between A levels and university. A group of pals were staying at a friend's lovely house while his parents were away, and we'd been on a bender for a while. Came down for breakfast / lunch to watch the whole thing unfold. I seem to remember the coverage focusing on it being a terrible accident at that point, until we all saw the second plane hit. I think we then all realised the magnitude of what was happening, obviously amplified by the other reports coming in of more planes being hijacked and other targets being hit.

I distinctly remember a part of the BBC coverage when they cut away from an aerial shot of the burning towers, and when they went back to the same shot the entire sky was dark with dust. I instantly knew the first tower had gone down, but it seemed like an age before the commentators either realised or had had confirmation that this was the case. Watching the towers come down was particularly disturbing.

greenman

Quote from: mr. logic on September 11, 2018, 11:27:38 PM
What was that like?

The on holiday bit of the flying home bit? the former rather depressing even though obviously along way from events, reminded me rather of ID4 sitting in a small country diner watching events on TV and listening to old boys discuss having to "nuke em". The latter obviously quite hair raising although I spose arguably not much real threat, probably worse if you were at all middle eastern/asian looking, I did have a good idea exactly how I would attack would be hijackers with an inflight meal tray smash to the throat.

popcorn

I flew into NYC in 2002 and there was a definite eerie atmosphere as we approached the city.

Icehaven

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 11, 2018, 10:36:26 PM
Had this conversation in work, one bloke said he remembered that he was sitting in a gcse exam while it was all going down

This completely derailed the whole 911stalga banter - GCSE exams?  In September?

We told him he must be mistaken, but he was adamant.

'My school was fuckin weird man' he said.

When I was first browsing through this thread I was thinking I'm sure I've had this conversation either actual or virtual with people and at least one of them remembers it as if it was the morning despite being in the UK. It's just a misremembering most likely affected by the TV footage but it shows how unreliable the brain can be even over something so memorable.

Head Gardener

the

Where do you source the rofl images you repost here Head Gardener? I ask because they're uniformly shit

Head Gardener

Dr Syntax Head

At work doing lots of welding. Y'know melting steel HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dex Sawash