Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Collins again

Started by TheMonk, September 12, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

It seems like the whole world all of a sudden loves Phil Collins after years of... not.
Why and how did this happen?
Did everyone love him all along but is only now deciding it's fine to throw our hats in the air singing "Don't Lose My Number"?

gilbertharding

I've gone through phases, like most people, of veering between being totally against him, and totally ambivalent towards him. I've never liked Genesis - only lately being willing to concede they had a couple of fairly decent tunes at various stages of their careers.

I only really appreciated what an utterly weird sounding record In the Air Tonight is - especially for a Chart Smash - fairly recently.

And yesterday evening I was strapped to a couch with a big needle in my arm (I was giving blood) when Easy Lover came on the radio. Trapped as I was, I found myself quite enjoying it.

(The record before that was Poison Arrow by ABC, which I quipped to the nurse was quite appropriate!)

Kane Jones

I've never understood the hatred (apart from the tax dodging tory stuff). He's a beast of a drummer, has a great vocal range and is a decent songwriter. I'm not the biggest fan of his solo material (apart from In The Air Tonight which is an amazing track), but the Genesis stuff he played on and eventually sang on (from Nursery Cryme through to Duke) is brilliant I think. His stuff with Brand X is great too. Plus he's good onstage and is excellent at affable crowd chat. Seems alright to me.

Maurice Yeatman

♫  Oh, Phil Col-lins again / It's Phil Col-lins again, uh-huh

One of the best things he sang was भास्वत् सायम् सर्व समाचिनोति शाश्वत उद्धार ज्योतिस् अविसर्मिन्.

Funcrusher

An element of punching down in Philphobia? It seemed to start during the era when 'No Jacket Required' was unavoidable and appeared to be basically 'it's music for plebs'.

Brundle-Fly

In the eighties, the post-punk fans (such as me) didn't like him; the hippy twat with his fucking paint pot on the piano and he was too ubiquitous. Phil said even he was sick of Phil Collins by the end of that decade.

Now, I'm rather fond of him and his music; thought he was a pretty good actor too. People who still hate Phil Collins in 2018 seem a bit petty. With the exception of the ChartMusic podcast gang, naturally.

PaulTMA

Not old enough to have read the weekly music mags from that era, but was the real turning point towards a backlash not in the aftermath of Another Day In Paradise?  I'm sure I've heard he was sort of tolerated if hardly adored prior to then, unless I'm mistaken.  How were his 80s albums reviewed in those publications?

TheMonk

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 12, 2018, 08:41:58 PM
Not old enough to have read the weekly music mags from that era, but was the real turning point towards a backlash not in the aftermath of Another Day In Paradise?  I'm sure I've heard he was sort of tolerated if hardly adored prior to then, unless I'm mistaken.  How were his 80s albums reviewed in those publications?
Perhaps. He seemed to move away from the cockney geezer towards a slightly grumpy "serious" musician with a bit of a chip on his shoulder around then. And his albums after that one are guff.

DrGreggles

I think most Phil Collins output is shit, but his first album is a bit of a banger.
No revisionism required.

shiftwork2

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 12, 2018, 08:41:58 PM
Not old enough to have read the weekly music mags from that era, but was the real turning point towards a backlash not in the aftermath of Another Day In Paradise?

Yes, I think it was.  Two other sources of mockery were the album title '...But Seriously' and the cover, in which Collins looked serious to the point of inner turmoil.

I have a soft spot for early Genesis but he appeared to be embarrassed by it all, at least according to what I remember from his eighties and nineties interviews.

Phil_A

It seems like at some point Collins became irrevocably associated with that rolled-up-sleeves Miami Vice aesthetic, which was considered grotesquely unfashionable for a considerable period of time(unlike now where it's fetishised to the point of absurdity).

The use of his music in American Psycho to represent the sheer banality of Bateman's obsessions probably didn't help his rep much either.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on September 12, 2018, 07:44:13 PM
♫  Oh, Phil Col-lins again / It's Phil Col-lins again, uh-huh

One of the best things he sang was भास्वत् सायम् सर्व समाचिनोति शाश्वत उद्धार ज्योतिस् अविसर्मिन्.

Some great guesses so far, folks! It was in fact Phil's vocal from Sun in the Night by Brand X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX588KuOTiI#t=40

I love Against All Odds but hate Sussudio.

Kane Jones

Don't think I really like any of his solo stuff (possible exception of Two Hearts, which he didn't write), but his time in Genesis from 1976 to around 1981 counts as some of my favourite music ever. Some of the live material from around then shows off his undeniable talent as both a singist and a drummist.

madhair60

- Susudio
- Invisible Touch
- Land of Confusion

that's three fucking bangers right there.

Yeah, for later period Genesis, Land of Confusion and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight were both superb. There's a few nice tracks on We Can't Dance as well. Phil needed Tony and Mike as musical collaborators - his solo material is just so... naff.

Utter Shit

Quote from: TheMonk on September 12, 2018, 01:12:44 PM
It seems like the whole world all of a sudden loves Phil Collins after years of... not.
Why and how did this happen?
Did everyone love him all along but is only now deciding it's fine to throw our hats in the air singing "Don't Lose My Number"?

Phil Collins is objectively great, but it still blows my mind that he enjoys a genuine, unironic fanbase among the hip-hop and R&B community. To the point that there is an entire compilation album made up of pretty high-profile, respected acts covering his back catalogue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Renewal-Featuring-Songs-Collins/dp/B00005B6HS/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1536932585&sr=8-1

The Joe cover of Can't Turn Back The Years is fantastic.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Darles Chickens on September 14, 2018, 02:29:16 PM
Yeah, for later period Genesis, Land of Confusion and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight were both superb. There's a few nice tracks on We Can't Dance as well. Phil needed Tony and Mike as musical collaborators - his solo material is just so... naff.

Don't forget Home By The Sea and Domino. Stunning tracks.

The only track on We Can't Dance I can stomach is Driving The Last Spike.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I own some music on which Phil Collins plays. It's that Brian Eno album he was on.

Otherwise, he can fuck off. " Land Of Confusion ", indeed. Useless cunt.

Quote from: Kane Jones on September 14, 2018, 02:57:37 PM

The live rendition of [Second] Home By The Sea from the Invisible Touch tour is much better than the studio version!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Ko79vytWA

I don't go back to We Can't Dance much, but Fading Lights and Dreaming While You Sleep are both reasonably decent tracks, along with Driving the Last Spike.  Even that latter one is a bit solo-Phil-by-numbers though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Kane Jones on September 12, 2018, 02:19:09 PM
I've never understood the hatred (apart from the tax dodging tory stuff).

He's never been a tory or a tax dodger.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Darles Chickens on September 14, 2018, 04:38:32 PM
The live rendition of [Second] Home By The Sea from the Invisible Touch tour is much better than the studio version!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Ko79vytWA

The Way We Walk tour version is better in my opinion - less electronic drums and the debut of Phil's amazing sounding Noble and Cooley kit instead of the dryer Gretsch kit.

Flouncer

Quote from: Kane Jones on September 14, 2018, 02:57:37 PM

I don't really care about anything they did after Hackett left, besides a few odd songs here and there, and the self titled/shapes album, which does have some great songs on it. Home by the Sea is a fucking cracker! I watched that documentary they did a few years ago and Phil said something like the early Genesis fans only like it because it's long - it's more than that; I love that song because takes you on a journey, in much the same way as, say, The Cinema Show. It starts off being a lovely song then it forges onwards and the music takes you on a ride and it's so deep you can disappear into it. Home by the Sea shows that even though their sound has changed massively, they're still the core of this fantastic band, capable of truly captivating instrumental stuff given a chance to stretch their legs.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2018, 06:41:24 PM
He's never been a tory or a tax dodger.

Well... he threatened to leave if Labour got in and raised taxes. Then Labour got in and he left. To a tax haven.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 14, 2018, 07:07:40 PM
Well... he threatened to leave if Labour got in and raised taxes. Then Labour got in and he left. To a tax haven.

If you believe The Sun and Piers Morgan and didn't bother to read the full transcript of the interview...

I guess you're one of those people that thinks he dumped his wife by fax as well.

Flouncer

He is a fucking mason though. I don't trust those cunts. Rick Wakeman is too - maybe they have a secret prog band that only ever plays on the altar of a big temple in front of a big effigy of Baphomet.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Flouncer on September 14, 2018, 07:24:18 PM
He is a fucking mason though. I don't trust those cunts. Rick Wakeman is too - maybe they have a secret prog band that only ever plays on the altar of a big temple in front of a big effigy of Baphomet.

No he's not - another falsehood perpetuated by the media.  The chapter that he so-say belongs to does not exist and is totally made up.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2018, 07:14:57 PM
didn't bother to read the full transcript of the interview...

Sorry, Stan, you're right, I didn't. You can tell me what really happened, if you like.