Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Collins again

Started by TheMonk, September 12, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: madhair60 on September 14, 2018, 02:26:38 PM
- Susudio
- Invisible Touch
- Land of Confusion

that's three fucking bangers right there.

'Invisible Touch' is one of the worst things ever put out by anybody.

Are you taking the piss here? I honestly don't know

Flouncer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2018, 07:26:08 PM
No he's not - another falsehood perpetuated by the media.  The chapter that he so-say belongs to does not exist and is totally made up.

Well fuck me, that's [probably not] the last time I believe something relatively inconsequential that I read on Wikipedia.

metaltax

Quote from: Flouncer on September 14, 2018, 07:24:18 PM
He is a fucking mason though. I don't trust those cunts. Rick Wakeman is too - maybe they have a secret prog band that only ever plays on the altar of a big temple in front of a big effigy of Baphomet.

Wakeman's a Water Rat, which seems like it'd love to be the Freemasons, but definitely isn't. But he's still a Tory cunt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: the science eel on September 14, 2018, 07:32:05 PM
'Invisible Touch' is one of the worst things ever put out by anybody.

Are you taking the piss here? I honestly don't know

Are you taking the piss? Invisible Touch is a banging pop tune. Describing it as "one of the worst things ever put out by anybody" is an absurd exaggeration.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What are some good examples of his drumming? I'm always hearing that he's really good, but all I know is that one bit from the middle of In the Air, which sounds like Eastenders.

Flouncer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 14, 2018, 08:23:42 PM
What are some good examples of his drumming? I'm always hearing that he's really good, but all I know is that one bit from the middle of In the Air, which sounds like Eastenders.

I'd say some good examples of his technical drumming are The Cinema Show, or Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, from Selling England by the Pound.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 14, 2018, 08:21:01 PM
Are you taking the piss? Invisible Touch is a banging pop tune. Describing it as "one of the worst things ever put out by anybody" is an absurd exaggeration.

Yeah but... the science eel.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 14, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

Duke's Travel/Duke's End. I like it because it sounds like a train.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2018, 06:41:24 PM
He's never been a tory or a tax dodger.

That's good to hear. I can go back to liking him properly now.

Quote from: Kane Jones on September 14, 2018, 08:56:23 PM
Yeah but... the science eel.

True, I have noticed that his/her default setting is exaggerated, sniping cynicism about pretty much everything.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Flouncer on September 14, 2018, 08:27:09 PM
I'd say some good examples of his technical drumming are The Cinema Show, or Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, from Selling England by the Pound.

Also e.g. Brand X's Disco Suicide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BRa2mVEjPY.

Flouncer

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on September 14, 2018, 08:58:56 PM
Also e.g. Brand X's Disco Suicide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BRa2mVEjPY.

I've never actually listened to them, having just been vaguely aware that he played drums for them. This is fucking lovely, and indeed a very good example of Phil's technical dexterity. Thanks for that man!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 14, 2018, 07:28:45 PM
Sorry, Stan, you're right, I didn't. You can tell me what really happened, if you like.

Long story short, he had already left the UK by then (having only been living here on and off [mostly off] since he moved to Canada in the very late 70s/very early 80s) and only moved to a "tax haven" (Switzerland) because his (then) wife was a Swiss heiress.  In the meantime he was still paying full taxes on Fisher Lane Farm studio and all of his other UK business interests, and either side of that move and marriage (which only lasted a few years) did not live anywhere that was considered a tax haven and he's never had any off-shore tax exempt bank accounts (several publications have had to issue corrections and apologies over the years after reporting him as being a tax exile and evader).

As for the labour/tory stuff, again he had already stopped living in the UK full time for quite a while and the (hypothetical) question about labour getting in was put to him because his dad was a well known conservative party supporter and member, but in the interview he was quick to add that that was in the days of Churchill, Eden and Macmillan when the party was a completely different thing, and his father had stopped being a conservative supporter when either Home or Heath (I forget which) got in.  Phil's own political views were that they were all as bad as each other, and the full quote from that interview was something like "I'd leave the country, but then I'd leave the country whichever party got in".  He didn't actually vote because not only was he not living in the UK much, because of how busy he'd been in the previous years (Genesis, solo, acting, session musician, philanthropy, raising kids etc etc etc) he didn't have the time to suss out the politics of a country he'd not lived in full time for nearly 20 years.

Somehow all of that got edited down by Piers Morgan to say that he was a tory supporter who hated labour.  Neither of those things has ever been true.

Other popular beliefs about Phil which aren't actually true (in addition to the aforementioned wife dumping by fax and being a mason) - he's an anti-semite, he once made fun of a boy with downs syndrome who was in hospital in a coma.

He also got a fuck load of flak for Another Day In Paradise, with critics and other musicians criticising him for being hypocritical about a multi-millionaire creating the song, but completely ignoring the fact that that same song has raised millions for homeless charities over the years and he's allowed it to be used by them for free, as well as topping up many of those same charities' coffers up with his own contributions.  Whether you like the song or not is neither here nor there (I don't), but it was yet another case of blame where none was necessary or relevant.

Just a few highlights.  I'm keeping this to live stuff so you can see and hear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3rJXV4R4E
https://youtu.be/Ao34UhjV5ZM?t=240 (which is also an excellent showcase of what just the three of them could do)
https://youtu.be/Zhvq0XZGOSE?t=90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XauOTo-BKSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=213gyfWI_Yg
https://youtu.be/zdRH82rYSyY?t=112

Apart from being very technically proficient, he's also a very musical drummer - there's a lot of melody in his playing as well as rhythm - and he's got amazing natural swing and groove, which is why he's been sampled so much and why a lot of rappers like him.  And, because he's self taught and can't read standard notational music, he's never been constrained by any limits. 

Alas all that has gone now and he can't play at all.

Flouncer

That really is a catalogue of scurrilous rumours - it makes me wonder what he did to upset the press, or Piers Moron in particular. Maybe just some petty personal vendetta because Piers didn't like his music?

Shit Good Nose

Without wanting to defend Morgan (in that respect), more likely the edited answer was much better copy than the actual full non-answer.

IIRC The Sun printed the interview in full some time after because of things omitted that changed answers given for other questions which completely changed the intent, and the full audio was also made available through the old (long since defunct) official Genesis and Phil Collins fan forum at the request of...whichever label he was with at the time.

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 14, 2018, 08:58:27 PM
True, I have noticed that his/her default setting is exaggerated, sniping cynicism about pretty much everything.

Then the fault lies with you, 'cos that's not me and that's not the way I choose to express myself here.

But 'Invisible Touch' is rotten by any reasonable standard.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the science eel on September 14, 2018, 11:37:09 PM
But 'Invisible Touch' is rotten by any reasonable standard.

I actually agree with you about the song, and Genesis is my favourite band.  There are some GREAT songs on Invisible Touch THE ALBUM, but the title track is not one of them.  At least I Can't Dance and Jesus He Knows Me can be defended for satire and humourous videos.

PaulTMA

Wear My Hat is the song Animal Collective are too afraid/can't be bothered to write

non capisco

'If Leaving Me Is Easy' is the underrated P. Collins solo lovelorn banger, fuck 'Against All Odds'.

TheMonk

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2018, 10:17:32 PM

Other popular beliefs about Phil which aren't actually true ... he once made fun of a boy with downs syndrome who was in hospital in a coma.
Never heard of this. Tell us more.

a duncandisorderly

co-wrote "blood on the rooftops" with steve hackett.

they're the only two members of genesis I have any interest in, post W&W & PG1.

the way banks acted, especially towards hackett, makes me quite vexed.

biggytitbo

Phil Collin's Daughter is less a statement than an ambition.

madhair60

Fucking love Invisible Touch. Quality record. I wish more pop was that good.

Dr Rock

If we're discussing Genesis Phil, what about 'Mama'? I liked that. Can't stand Invisible Touch.

biggytitbo

Phil undoubtedly has written some quality pop songs so kudos to him for that.

I love the fact he absolutly hates Paul McCartney though. That feels totally in character if you see Phil as a kind of Alan Partridge-esque man.

Dr Rock

non capisco

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 15, 2018, 09:22:16 PM
If we're discussing Genesis Phil, what about 'Mama'? I liked that.

I like 'Mama' a lot too. That "HA-HA-HEUURGH! HA-HA-HEUURGH! UGHHHOHHHHHHH!" is certainly one of the oddest hooks to grace a top 10 hit single. Apparently inspired by the "ha-ha-ha-HA!' bit from 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash. I like that Phil Collins' appropriation of early hip hop rhythmic vocal flourishes is to laugh like a maniac a couple of times and then make a sort of goblin noise.

madhair60

Inspired by this thread, I wrote something on Twitter about how Phil is basically alright, he's released some decent stuff, and that it's a bit daft in 2018 to hate (on) a harmless, semi-retired rock star.

I lost count of the number of replies I received stating that we should all hate him because he's a tax-dodging Tory who divorced his wife by fax. People don't really care about 'facts', do they?

Dr Rock