Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Collins again

Started by TheMonk, September 12, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on September 15, 2018, 09:53:47 PM
I like 'Mama' a lot too. That "HA-HA-HEUURGH! HA-HA-HEUURGH! UGHHHOHHHHHHH!" is certainly one of the oddest hooks to grace a top 10 hit single. Apparently inspired by the "ha-ha-ha-HA!' bit from 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash. I like that Phil Collins' appropriation of early hip hop rhythmic vocal flourishes is to laugh like a maniac a couple of times and then make a sort of goblin noise.

I would just like to say that this made me laugh out loud. So thanks for that.

Phil_A

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 15, 2018, 10:00:30 PM

I think it might've been someone on here that once described it as sounding like he's trying to cough up a pork scratching that went the wrong way. That's what I think of every time I hear that song.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 15, 2018, 10:00:30 PM

No worries, man. Hey, I've not even started on the bit in Sussudio when the backing singers suddenly go "WANK!"

(No, no, no, you've already mentioned that more than enough on here, capisco. Well done for waiting until page 3, though, I suppose :- ed.)

Quote from: Phil_A on September 15, 2018, 10:21:01 PM
I think it might've been someone on here that once described it as sounding like he's trying to cough up a pork scratching that went the wrong way. That's what I think of every time I hear that song.

Yes, that little grunt of goblin-like pleasure he makes is him coughing up the offending snack. While listening to the playback, a delighted Phil announced, "That's great, that's our hook." Musical innovation is often arrived at via serendipity.

Fortunately, he was gently dissuaded from his idea of making a whole album of him singing while scoffing pork scratchings. You can't capture lightning in a bottle twice.

Quote from: non capisco on September 15, 2018, 10:24:00 PM
No worries, man. Hey, I've not even started on the bit in Sussudio when the backing singers suddenly go "WANK!"

(No, no, no, you've already mentioned that more than enough on here, capisco. Well done for waiting until page 3, though, I suppose :- ed.)

At what precise moment in Sussudio do the backing singers go "WANK!"?

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 15, 2018, 10:41:59 PM
At what precise moment in Sussudio do the backing singers go "WANK!"?

https://youtu.be/r0qBaBb1Y-U?t=2m8s

2'15", brother.

I tried my very best to resist this hoary old observation in a new Phil Collins thread but you dragged it out of me!

Well, I'm glad I did. It sounds like the backing singers are providing a brutally realistic counterpoint to Phil's claim that his life has just begun.

Maurice Yeatman

Looks like it's my turn to be the boring bastard who steps in to say it doesn't sound anything like Wank.

It sounds like "WANK" to me. BUT SO DOES ALL OF PHIL'S OUTPUT! AMIRIGHT?!

Anyway, I think people took against Phil Collins in the '80s because he was going bald. Everyone is going bald these days, it's all the rage, but back in the '80s it was considered unacceptable. 

If anything, we should applaud Phil for his brave stance during a period of shameful anti-slaphead prejudice. How far we've come.

Sebastian Cobb

I still think he's a helmet if it helps.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TheMonk on September 15, 2018, 09:54:27 AM
Never heard of this. Tell us more.

Admittedly I haven't seen it raised much in recent years, but it was one of the most popular ones in the 90s (I think it may have been the first internet rumour that went round about him).

The story goes that a boy who had downs and was a massive fan of Phil's was in a coma in hospital.  Phil went to visit him and was caught by nurses making fun of the boy (depending on which version of the story you heard he was either play acting like "a s*****c", or calling him things like "Joey" and "spacker").

That one was almost certainly borne out of a real event where a boy with downs who was a massive Genesis fan had tickets to see them (can't remember if it was the Mama tour or Invisible Touch tour), but was unable to as he was in an accident and did indeed end up in hospital in a coma.  The lads got wind of it and cobbled together their own best of tapes with them talking in between each song and giving him words of encouragement to wake up and such, and sent them to him in hospital.  Apparently he came out of his coma whilst one of the tapes was playing.  None of them actually visited him in hospital as they were on tour, but I think they visited him after the tour had ended and later gave him tickets to whichever the next tour was (either Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance).

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 15, 2018, 09:55:44 PM
Inspired by this thread, I wrote something on Twitter about how Phil is basically alright, he's released some decent stuff, and that it's a bit daft in 2018 to hate (on) a harmless, semi-retired rock star.

I lost count of the number of replies I received stating that we should all hate him because he's a tax-dodging Tory who divorced his wife by fax. People don't really care about 'facts', do they?

It's really not worth it.  Like happens on here all too often, actual accurate knowledge and experience gathered over years count for nothing against a few minutes' bedroom "research" and internet opinion.

the science eel

Yeah, but you can't like everything, can you?

A bit of blind prejudice saves you time and money, too, in a world FULL O MUSIC

Shit Good Nose

Oh, and RE "WANK" - it's actually "break".

I've never thought it sounded like wank.  Which is disappointing.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 16, 2018, 09:45:40 AM
That one was almost certainly borne out of a real event where a boy with downs who was a massive Genesis fan had tickets to see them (can't remember if it was the Mama tour or Invisible Touch tour), but was unable to as he was in an accident and did indeed end up in hospital in a coma.  The lads got wind of it and cobbled together their own best of tapes with them talking in between each song and giving him words of encouragement to wake up and such, and sent them to him in hospital.  Apparently he came out of his coma whilst one of the tapes was playing.  None of them actually visited him in hospital as they were on tour, but I think they visited him after the tour had ended and later gave him tickets to whichever the next tour was (either Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance).

That reminded me of this bit at the end of Mike Rutherford's This is Your Life - probably not the same lad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0EsL_-5PQ#t=23m48s

TheMonk

Jesus. He looks 90 in this photo.
His voice sounds like it's improving according to YouTube but he looks seriously ill.

popcorn

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 16, 2018, 09:45:40 AM
It's really not worth it.  Like happens on here all too often, actual accurate knowledge and experience gathered over years count for nothing against a few minutes' bedroom "research" and internet opinion.

This kind of thing drives me absolutely fucking mental. Not quite as incriminating, but there's a longstanding rumour that Jonny Greenwood's dog is sampled on the Radiohead song House of Cards. There has never been a shred of evidence for it - and in fact in live performances you can see Ed O'Brien producing the alleged "dog sample" just with a guitar and delay pedal. Yet if you read any Radiohead discussion on say, Reddit, the dog thing seems to crop up every other fucking day, with people blowing each other's minds revealing this amazing bit of trivia and upvoting them into the stratosphere. If you challenge them for evidence they argue, downvote you or ignore you.

Might I suggest you work a bit on the Phil Collins Wikipedia article? If there's dodgy stuff on there it would be a good place to start. It would also be a good place to debunk rumours, as long as you have reliable souches showing that the rumours exist, and reliable sources to debunk them with.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TheMonk on October 29, 2018, 10:38:03 AM
Jesus. He looks 90 in this photo.
His voice sounds like it's improving according to YouTube but he looks seriously ill.

probably just lighting as other photos with his children backstage, presumably from the same show, show him in finer form.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: popcorn on October 29, 2018, 12:22:04 PM
This kind of thing drives me absolutely fucking mental. Not quite as incriminating, but there's a longstanding rumour that Jonny Greenwood's dog is sampled on the Radiohead song House of Cards. There has never been a shred of evidence for it - and in fact in live performances you can see Ed O'Brien producing the alleged "dog sample" just with a guitar and delay pedal. Yet if you read any Radiohead discussion on say, Reddit, the dog thing seems to crop up every other fucking day, with people blowing each other's minds revealing this amazing bit of trivia and upvoting them into the stratosphere. If you challenge them for evidence they argue, downvote you or ignore you.

Might I suggest you work a bit on the Phil Collins Wikipedia article? If there's dodgy stuff on there it would be a good place to start. It would also be a good place to debunk rumours, as long as you have reliable souches showing that the rumours exist, and reliable sources to debunk them with.

I really have thought about it – I mean that Freemason thing was on his Wiki page pretty much the day it went live and has only just been removed within the last 6 months (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes back in there in the near future) – but so many people put stuff back in, and numerous links are made to so-say reputable sources that actually aren't reputable (for example there's a link in there to a broadsheet article that mentions Phil was "well known" for "regularly" phoning up journalists and publications if he took objection to a negative review about one of his albums, but I've NEVER seen that mentioned ANYWHERE else, not even during the absolute height of NME's "we wish Phil Collins was dead" years, but because it got mentioned in a broadsheet it's considered as reputable), I just think what's the point.

Because of all the bollocks criticisms, you have a lot of people believing it (more than one CaBber – mentioning no names - has taken it all as gospel and won't be told any different because they read the Wiki entry about him and saw him on Brass Eye for a couple of minutes, but me – the person whose favourite band is Genesis and has been following them and Collins closely, to a typical obsessive muso-degree, for the last 30+ years – I know fuck all) – 25 years on and, despite mountains of evidence (which, really, isn't that difficult to find) to the contrary, he's STILL considered as the tax dodger who dumped his wife by fax.

I've always said that if you don't like his music, that's absolutely fine – I only like his first four solo albums, the rest are abysmal – and I've NEVER argued that point because it's all subjective after all.  And I get why his ubiquity in the 80s might have got annoying if you weren't a fan (but, then again, ubiquity only comes of popularity – "errr, sorry Mr Collins, but we think you're a massive cunt because you've done songs and albums that have proved to be very popular" rolls eyes), but all these people who think he's a cunt based on little more than stuff which has been made up, misreported, taken out of context etc...well, they've formed their opinion and it gets to a point of wasting one's time trying to get them to see otherwise, facts be damned.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 29, 2018, 01:39:24 PM
probably just lighting as other photos with his children backstage, presumably from the same show, show him in finer form.

Alas he's not in very fine form at all.  I've said several times recently that I don't think he's long for this world.

BlodwynPig

Coincidentally, Blood on the Rooftops randomly came up on my iTunes.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 29, 2018, 03:59:30 PM
Coincidentally, Blood on the Rooftops randomly came up on my iTunes.

A bona fide 5 alarm masterpiece by anyone's standards.  I think even the most hardcore Collins hater accepts that.

BlodwynPig

Funcrusher

Have we ever had a Genesis thread on here? I'm more curious and receptive to them in my old age.

Dannyhood91

Selling England By The Pound is a good album.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Funcrusher on October 29, 2018, 09:35:55 PM
Have we ever had a Genesis thread on here? I'm more curious and receptive to them in my old age.

There was this one from, blimey, 2014 - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,44501.0.html. Seems like only last year.

And this one, 2005 - 2008! - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,6309.0.html

TheMonk

I like to think on the last night of the current tour, after Take Me Home he stands up, throws his cane into the audience, does two backflips, drums the f@ck out of a 2x speed Los Endos and sets himself on fire.

saltysnacks

So, Phil is a cock, but not as big of a cock as the media says?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: saltysnacks on October 31, 2018, 09:56:19 AM
So, Phil is a cock, but not as big of a cock as the media says?

The actual proper evidence strongly suggests he's not a cock at all.  As I keep saying, once you realise that every negative thing that is popularly known about him is either wrong or entirely made up, all you're left with is 80s ubiquity, people that simply don't like his music, and being duped by Chris Morris.  I don't see how any one of those can decide a person's cuntness as they don't have anything to do with him as a person.

PaulTMA

The only vehemently anti-Phil people left standing are the few remaining souls who still insist Ringo is shit drummer and that the first Stereophonics album is "quite good"

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 31, 2018, 11:22:50 AM
The actual proper evidence strongly suggests he's not a cock at all.  As I keep saying, once you realise that every negative thing that is popularly known about him is either wrong or entirely made up, all you're left with is 80s ubiquity, people that simply don't like his music, and being duped by Chris Morris.  I don't see how any one of those can decide a person's cuntness as they don't have anything to do with him as a person.

I served him when him and his then missus came into the HMV Shop I worked in. He was delightful. Speak as you find and all that.

I have a mate who vehemently hates Collins, wherefore I know not, but really likes ska-punk. Funny old world.