Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mistakes and weird things in songs

Started by popcorn, September 12, 2018, 01:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

'Star' by Primal Scream has a bit where Bobby Gillespie comes in too early with "Rebel souls..." when he doesn't realise there's an instrumental break first. It's strange too cos it isn't even the next words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1cKfqhTIYM

There's also a lyrical mistake when he sings:

"Sister Rosa, Malcolm X, and Dr king.

Their bodies may be gone but their spirits still live on"

But Rosa Parks was still alive when the song came out in 1997. Shame there was no Wikipedia around then.

popcorn

I might be revealing some horrible ignorance here but was  Ian Curtis sort of doing an American accent when he sang? He seemed to pronounce his Rs in an American way, and the giveaway is that he sings "is my timing that flawed" with an audible R, like "floored", which is the kind of thing Brits do when they do American accents and overcompensate.

buzby

Quote from: popcorn on January 17, 2020, 02:44:38 PM
I might be revealing some horrible ignorance here but was  Ian Curtis sort of doing an American accent when he sang? He seemed to pronounce his Rs in an American way, and the giveaway is that he sings "is my timing that flawed" with an audible R, like "floored", which is the kind of thing Brits do when they do American accents and overcompensate.
On Love Will Tear Us Apart in particular he was trying to 'croon' like Frank Sinatra - Wilson and Hannett suggested that he try 'crooning' the song, and Wilson gave Curtis a collection of Sinatra albums to listen to.

It's also not helped by Ian trying to sing at the very bottom of his range - if you hear live recordings of Joy Division, Ian's natural register is a bit higher than it is on the records. The deeper baritone was achieved by Hannett using the varispeed control to speed up the tape while recording Ian's vocals (he sometimes forgot to reset the correct tape speed afterwards, meaning the tuning on Joy Division tracks varies across albums).

popcorn

Quote from: buzby on January 17, 2020, 03:03:54 PM
On Love Will Tear Us Apart in particular he was trying to 'croon' like Frank Sinatra - Wilson and Hannett suggested that he try 'crooning' the song, and Wilson gave Curtis a collection of Sinatra albums to listen to.

It's also not helped by Ian trying to sing at the very bottom of his range - if you hear live recordings of Joy Division, Ian's natural register is a bit higher than it is on the records. The deeper baritone was achieved by Hannett using the varispeed control to speed up the tape while recording Ian's vocals (he sometimes forgot to reset the correct tape speed afterwards, meaning the tuning on Joy Division tracks varies across albums).

Forgot to thank for you for this reply buzby, cheers!

popcorn

This is neither a mistake, nor a particularly weird thing, but it really bugs me how Modern Love by Bowie opens with an intriguing, unusual 6/4 groove, then switches to conventional 4/4 for the rest of the song. It has the effect, to me, of every bar afterwards feeling slightly too long, two flabby unnecessary beats hanging on the end of every bar. GET RID OF THEM DAVID

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: popcorn on January 12, 2020, 03:47:52 AM
Today I learnt that You Oughta Know by Alanis Morisette features Flea on bass, which I didn't know until today.

Dave Navarro on guitar too. I like it musically but her voice grates

Not such much a mistake but a click noise that appears this track by Yes.

https://youtu.be/OS9v8LVCsrk

It appears twice, once at around 2:24 and again around 3:30. It's bothered me since 1991.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2018, 05:58:04 PM
They do sound good. Their low tracking and compliance means you need your records to be in good nick though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O3B3UWC8yU

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lipsink on January 17, 2020, 01:25:30 PM
'Star' by Primal Scream has a bit where Bobby Gillespie comes in too early with "Rebel souls..." when he doesn't realise there's an instrumental break first. It's strange too cos it isn't even the next words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1cKfqhTIYM

There's also a lyrical mistake when he sings:

"Sister Rosa, Malcolm X, and Dr king.

Their bodies may be gone but their spirits still live on"

But Rosa Parks was still alive when the song came out in 1997. Shame there was no Wikipedia around then.
Is it possible he was going on about Sister Rosetta Tharpe, who died in 1973?

spaghetamine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoctBkAz6e4

The Fall - Paintwork

Obviously they was left in for artistic reasons so I don't know whether it counts but the parts at 0:41 and 2:30 were apparently caused by MES accidentally pressing record on his tape recorder while listening to the unfinished track at home.

popcorn

4:01 into Simple Things - Don't You Forget About Me.

I bet the drummer wishes he could "forget about" that slightly misstimed snare fill!!!!