Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mistakes and weird things in songs

Started by popcorn, September 12, 2018, 01:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

One that always springs to mind for me is The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel. After the big fucking crescendo bit at the end, the reverberated vocal track is faded out but then it snaps back in for a second before the reverb has fully tailed off. "--aahhh"

Here, at 4:44.

Flouncer

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 15, 2018, 01:12:26 PM
One that always springs to mind for me is The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel. After the big fucking crescendo bit at the end, the reverberated vocal track is faded out but then it snaps back in for a second before the reverb has fully tailed off. "--aahhh"

Agh, that's horrible! I've never noticed that before but it's going to stick out from now on. It's been mentioned on here before, but John Bonham's squeaky bass drum pedal on Since I've Been Loving You from Zeppelin III is one of those things you don't notice at first but once you do it's really conspicuous. It annoys some people but I find it quite endearing.

Kane Jones

Speaking of moments that are probably musically correct but jar for whatever reason, I always had a big problem with American Hi-Fi's The Art Of Losing. On the third line of the chorus where Stacey Jones sings "I'm my own worst enemy", specifically the 'my' of 'enemy'. He hits a really major note that only makes sense when you hear the next chord. It's particularly bad on the second and last chorus as they add a guitar arpeggio and the notes just completely clash to my ears. Here, have a listen. I've started it from the beginning of the last chorus so you can hear it context;

https://youtu.be/JGZODoQq2Xg?t=2m29s

I dunno, for some folk that's probably the best bit because it's unexpected, but I can't stand it.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 13, 2018, 07:51:38 PM
Keeping on the Metallica theme:

https://youtu.be/dRBmavn6Wk0

fascinating, but he could've convinced me a lot quicker that it was intentional (& not, say a duff edit) if he'd got a clip of them playing the exact same extra 32nd note on stage.

his use of 'disdainful lars' is, as one of the top comments says, impeccable.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 15, 2018, 01:12:26 PM

"did you latch that mute down"
"yes..."
"sure?"
"um... yes.... why?"
"oh, probably nothing. I thought I heard... never mind."

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Glebe on September 13, 2018, 12:50:27 PM
One of the most famous of course being the "down" line editing snafu in 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' (at 00:57).

I can't hear anything wrong in there. had it up quite loud just now. the only weirdness I can hear is the very start of the second line, the 'd' plosive of the BVs sounds more like a 't' plosive.

VelourSpirit

The glitch on My Bloody Valentine's What You Want at 2:46 always bugged me https://youtu.be/FhGTsCMsXH4?t=162

Chriddof

That glitch only happens in one of the remastered versions from several years ago - either the remaster from the original analogue tapes or the alternate one done from DAT, both released in the same 2-disc set. It's especially annoying to me as I was familiar with the CD version on sale throughout the 90s for years, and I can never remember which disc it is that has that awful digital blurt on it (not helped by the fact that the labels were swapped by accident). Actively puts me off listening to it, actually. Apparently it's been fixed since.

daf

The spliced in verse in Working Class Hero (from 1:26 to 1:46) used to sick out like a baboon's arse on my old tape cassette of the Plastic Ono Band album - different ambience and about half a tone flatter than the rest of the song. *

Some discussion about it here and here

QuoteJohn Lennon recorded Working Class Hero at EMI Studios, Abbey Road. It took him more than a hundred attempts to get right, in sessions spread over several days.

Eventually he came up with a satisfactory version in Studio Three, only to find he had missed out the verse beginning 'When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years'. The verse was recorded during a different session in Studio Two and edited in afterwards, but with less treble applied to the guitar. The difference in sound, and a poorly-timed edit which drops a bar before the chorus, suggests Lennon was more motivated by getting his message heard than by the quality of the recording.
https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/john-lennon/songs/working-class-hero/

He got lucky with the Strawberry Fields edit, this . . . not so much.

- - - - - - -
* (actually doesn't sound as bad as I remembered here - maybe they managed to pitch-shift it up a bit for the CD?)

Sebastian Cobb

I can't remember what track it is but there's a bit in Neil Young's Harvest (on the cd at least) where everything flutters like there was a crease in the tape. Must've been after it was mixed down as it's over everything.

There's a bit where the tape sounds a bit fucked in Sandy Kerr's Thug Rock as well, the top wanders off for a few seconds and returns. Again it sounds like it was a small portion of bad tape.

a duncandisorderly

gordon giltrap's albums, as available on the modern marvel of CD, sound like they were transferred off his mam's old grundig open-reel machine; the pitch wanders all over the show. I'm friends with him on FB, so I'm in a quandary... surely he knows they sound shit? it wouldn't be the first time a rotten tape has been used to make CDs from- the first issues of the first two queen albums are full of dropout, & the "definitive edition" versions of several tangerine dream CDs (of 70s releases) are worse than the original CDs. one of them even has a couple of bars missing where they had no option but to cut out the manked bit of tape.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2018, 04:23:05 PM
I can't remember what track it is but there's a bit in Neil Young's Harvest (on the cd at least) where everything flutters like there was a crease in the tape. Must've been after it was mixed down as it's over everything.

There's a bit where the tape sounds a bit fucked in Sandy Kerr's Thug Rock as well, the top wanders off for a few seconds and returns. Again it sounds like it was a small portion of bad tape.

ampex MM1100s were famous for fucking 2" during rewinding.

Sebastian Cobb

Could be that. Dunno if it's the same on the lp. Harvest is one of the most 'analogue' sounding cd's I've heard. Apparently Elliot Mazer hated it though and seemed much happier with the sacd remaster or something.

a duncandisorderly

in the early years of CD, they just grabbed anything stereo with 'master' written on it. sometimes these were several generations down from the actual stereo master, sometimes they had funny eq or compression on them, depending what they were masters for, e.g. cassette duplication, 8-track & so on. sometimes they were tapes that had been done for overseas pressing plants & had the tracks in a different order.
by the time it occurred to anyone to go back & do the job properly, the real stereo masters & some of the multitracks were fucked, + the guys who knew how the mix had been done (& any mix automation data, effects settings, real actual echo chambers & the like) were history. on top, there's been a calamitous decline in the standard of analogue deck maintenance, & people playing things back with azimuth or eq errors, or with the dubly set up wrong.

if an album's really precious to you, the thing to do is hunt down a minty vinyl from the year of issue & digitise it on a decent turntable & some denoising software like izotope.

Sebastian Cobb

I'll just listen to the lp's.

I really should get round to finishing off the plynth for my lenco. I took it apart and bought a revolver to nick the Jelco arm off and have stalled. The lenco came with a sure V15 mk3 as well. My dad was jealous as it was the stylus he couldn't afford at my age.

I certainly don't trust modern vinyl presses. It's often the big releases that sound crap, the lads that never stopped pressing vinyl know who to go to. There's nothing worse than getting a new release and finding it's obviously just gone from wav to digilathe.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2018, 05:27:13 PM
I'll just listen to the lp's.

I really should get round to finishing off the plynth for my lenco. I took it apart and bought a revolver to nick the Jelco arm off and have stalled. The lenco came with a sure V15 mk3 as well. My dad was jealous as it was the stylus he couldn't afford at my age.

I have a v15-3 with a new jico stylus, waiting to go into my revox tt (currently a nice ortofon).
I have another revox that I'm going to get around to fixing one day, & maybe put an AT in that.
lovely vinyl rekkids, aye.

Sebastian Cobb

I considered a Jico, and might still buy one when I finish it and put the thing back together. Settled for an Earl Saunders remake.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2018, 05:44:01 PM
I considered a Jico, and might still buy one when I finish it and put the thing back together. Settled for an Earl Saunders remake.

mate of mine swears by them, & what he doesn't know about TTs isn't worth a carrot. better than a NOS shure stylus, he says. I had a v15-4 for years & everything else sounds sort of not-as-good, even the decent ortofon I'm using now. but we're hijacking this thread...

Sebastian Cobb

They do sound good. Their low tracking and compliance means you need your records to be in good nick though.

Panbaams

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 12, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
The Fabs had all sorts of cock-ups in their catalogue

Fans of moments of oddness on Beatles records may enjoy the What Goes On site: http://wgo.signal11.org.uk/wgo.htm

Rocket Surgery

One of Chrissie Hynde's multitracked vocal parts hits a rather unexpected note about 30 seconds from the end of 'Kid'.

Always thought that little element of dissonance really added to the haunting quality of that outro, but often wondered whether or not it was intentional.

McChesney Duntz

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on September 17, 2018, 02:34:56 AM
One of Chrissie Hynde's multitracked vocal parts hits a rather unexpected note about 30 seconds from the end of 'Kid'.

Always thought that little element of dissonance really added to the haunting quality of that outro, but often wondered whether or not it was intentional.

ah, james honeyman scott. one of the great tragedies of pop/rock music is that his time was so short. fabulous guitarist.

That wonderfully honking bum chord in the middle of Iggy Pop's 'Funtime'.

kidsick5000

It's not a mistake, it's not that weird, but the sound of the fingers scraping the guitar strings in Constant Craving drove (drives) me nuts. It's very early in the track and you have to remember just how much this track was on the radio for during the 90s. Someone at Radio 1 LOVED this song so it's ingrained in my brain.

It's the little strangled seagull sound at 23 seconds
https://youtu.be/oXqPjx94YMg
Even then, the 90s 'meaningful' video takes some getting through.

Kane Jones

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 17, 2018, 11:54:43 PM
It's not a mistake, it's not that weird, but the sound of the fingers scraping the guitar strings in Constant Craving drove (drives) me nuts. It's very early in the track and you have to remember just how much this track was on the radio for during the 90s. Someone at Radio 1 LOVED this song so it's ingrained in my brain.

I actually don't mind the guitar scraping sound, I like to hear 'real' stuff like that on songs. I can however vouch for the ubiquity of this song on Radio 1 in 1992. It was the summer holiday between secondary school and college, my first love had recently dumped me, and I was heartbroken and working in a greengrocers that was always tuned to Radio 1. This song, Jimmy Nail's Ain't No Doubt, Roy Orbison's I Drove All Night, and Was (Not Was)'s Shake Your Head with Kim Basinger & Ozzy Osbourne were played CONSTANTLY. All four songs are inextricably linked to heartache and the smell of bananas. Although I still think the Was (Not Was) track is a banger.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 12, 2018, 09:51:57 PM
Those two fuckups at the start of that make it hilarious. Love that you could have a weird bendy fun house tape glitch right out the gate,AND have someone fall on a piano and burst out laughing, just seconds into the tune, and think, aaaah she'll be right. - I mean I guess it was alrite - but now that you've pointed it out, it sounds like a shred video

I'd quite like to record some more fuckups on to of it now - airplane flies overhead, engineer slips on some Fanta copeland spilled on the floor, crashes headlong into a ming vase owned by whoever the guitarist is, audible farting, and so on

Here's the real original intro from before it was cleaned up a bit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m54r8i92xeb7yuh/roxanne_original_unedited_intro.mp3?dl=0

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 17, 2018, 09:21:01 PM
ah, james honeyman scott. one of the great tragedies of pop/rock music is that his time was so short. fabulous guitarist.

Do you have an opinion on the particular bit I mentioned? What with you being an professional and that.

It's such a tiny thing, but not knowing whether it was deliberate - or if everyone involved was too coked off their nubs to notice it - has been gnawing away at me for years!

(And I'd actually forgotten about it until I read this thread. Thanks a lot, thread. You fucking TWAT.)

The bit at 2:42? It just sounds like a reprise of the same type of vocal harmony she uses earlier (e.g. at 2:31 is the exact same major third).  Maybe it sounds a tiny bit off, but it doesn't sound really jarring to me, and I'd assume it's deliberate. Unless I'm focusing on the wrong bit entirely!

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: Darles Chickens on September 18, 2018, 05:23:38 PM
The bit at 2:42? It just sounds like a reprise of the same type of vocal harmony she uses earlier (e.g. at 2:31 is the exact same major third).  Maybe it sounds a tiny bit off, but it doesn't sound really jarring to me, and I'd assume it's deliberate. Unless I'm focusing on the wrong bit entirely!

2:42 is exactly the bit I'm on about, but it doesn't sound anything like 2:31 to me.

There's a high-end harmony going on throughout the whole shebang, but if what I'm hearing at 2:42 is a major third I'll eat my own head.

Going to try it out on my guitar now, but I am drunker than a dead-soon tramp so it might take a while.