Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pitch Me a BR Player

Started by Blumf, September 13, 2018, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Cunting Sony BDP-S350 died on me, with a disc still in it![1] So I'm in the market for a new player.

I'm thinking Panasonic DMP-BDT380, seems to have good reviews, but I don't know.

Wants:
Prefer full width case.
Multi-region, if possible, but I doubt it'll be an issue.
Good DVD upscaling
150 quid tops

Don't care:
UHD
3D
Any of that networking bollocks (already have chromecast)

[1] : You know how optical disc drives have a pin hole to manually eject without power, usually on the front, just under the drawer. Well there is one on the S350's drive, it just happens to be unreachable until you pull half the player apart! It's on the fucking side, which is buried under a circuit board and a metal plate. Sony cunts!!

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a Sony S370 and it ejects fine.

Blumf

Even when it's power supply has died?

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno.

It's probably one of the capacitors.

Endicott

I've got an LG BP125 cost me about 50 quid. Not full width case and not multi-region, but otherwise very good. Discontinued now but been replaced by similar priced models.

I thought multi-region wasn't possible on BR because of DRM. Wrong?

Consignia

Quote from: Endicott on September 13, 2018, 09:48:42 AM
I thought multi-region wasn't possible on BR because of DRM. Wrong?

You can get a good selection of modded Blu-Ray players which allow you to set the region. It's not automatic in most cases, you have to manually set the region each time. I had a really expensive multi-region Oppo a while back, but it died on me, and I replaced it with a cheap multi-region Sony. The difference was so minuscule, I don't know why I bothered with the expensive version ever.

Endicott

thraxx

Old tip from the early 80s; have you tried squirting it full of fairy liquid?