Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that English people like

Started by Paul Calf, September 13, 2018, 12:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psmith

Saying :"Well,we won the war".
(Mostly older ones)

Fry

Being worse than me at shagging and FIFA.

Cuntbeaks

Bank Holiday Buggery

Saveloys

Fish with skin on

Being tight cunts

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: doppelkorn on September 13, 2018, 02:31:20 PM
I think we really like people who try hard but are unsuccessful. As soon as someone can demonstrate that they're good at something, they're a bit too big for their boots and should be shunned.

Quote from: EOLAN on September 13, 2018, 11:15:02 AM
reminds me of another thing we Irish love. Begrudgery. Particularly to Irish success stories.

When will people realise that begrudgery is universally common, actually quite enjoyable at times and no reason to genuinely judge entire nations?

If you know forren, and they haven't displayed begrudgery of some kind about one of their own, you don't know them.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Having been watching a lot US boxing recently I can confirm the Yanks love a loser as much as us Brits. The only difference is their losers are usually courageous warriors like Foreman and Frazier, ours are cowardly huggers like Frank Bruno who manage to psyche themselves out before even entering the ring.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Twee period dramas

Posh people (see above)

Boris Johnson (ditto)

shiftwork2

Dogs

Gardens

A Good Seeing To

La musique de Gérard Lenorman

Ferris

Going to Australia and being loud.

Drinking too much at inappropriate times.

Interesting hats at weddings.

Visiting shit facsimiles of what other people imagine is a "traditional English pub" in other countries.

"How was the holiday to Brazil mate?"

"Fucking great, there was a great pub called The Dog and Parrot in Rio, served Guinness and Worthingtons on tap!"

Pingers

Predicting that the cloud will burn off later

Eating sandwiches in the car with the wipers going

Scratch cards

Neville Chamberlain

- A pint of warm ale balanced on the head of a nun riding along a misty lane carrying a cricket bat.

king_tubby

Norton Canes

Quote from: doppelkorn on September 13, 2018, 02:31:20 PM
I think we really like people who try hard but are unsuccessful. As soon as someone can demonstrate that they're good at something, they're a bit too big for their boots and should be shunned

We seem to be able to handle our winners if they're simple, amiable, salt-of-the-earth types who almost stumble upon victories. It's only when we have the occasional ruthless, calculating, impassive serial victory claimer that we get apprehensive. So when Geraint Thomas almost accidentally ambles to a Tour de France victory we're made up for the guy. But Chris Froome, gimlet-eyed, eats up wins without blinking... ooh, shifty type, not keen. Just look at snooker. Barry Hawkins, Mark Williams? Top blokes. Stephen Hendry, blasted his way to seven world titles without so much as cracking a smile? No love.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 13, 2018, 01:03:40 PM

Pubs

And taking empty glasses back to the bar therein. No other nation in the U.K. does this.

kittens

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Jeremy Vine seems to epitomise something essentially English but I can't think what. You just don't hear newscasters in other countries with that voice, or that ability to summon up nebulous grievances from their countrymen into honed and pointed ideological prospectuses. It's a bit like how we do politics.

Neville Chamberlain

- A warm pint resting on the head of a meadow bee.

Twit 2

Tutting at guttering
Milling about a fete
Leaving wherever you are, no matter how nice a time you're having, or how favourable the weather is, because it's 6 o'clock and that's when it's teatime so we all need to go RIGHT NOW
Slags
Beetroot
The notion of fishing
Fried chicken and sick
Bernard Manning
Shit indie bands
Peregrine falcons
Jesus
Tramps
Sausages
Bigotry

Cuellar

Whacking great knobs and fanny-fucking

DArtagnan

Quote from: jobotic on September 13, 2018, 02:25:25 PM
Giving are country to far-right Americans and Russians.

Giving ARE country?
It would seem that they like to publicise the fact that
they paid little attention in English lessons at school.

Avril Lavigne

Complaining about Halloween & how American it is & how much of a nuisance Trick or Treaters are.

yesitsme

Not helping.

Helping too much.

Sticking their fucking oar in where it doesn't concern them.

Saying 'I knew that would happen'

Saying 'I pay my taxes!'

Believing that being English (and British) is still currency abroad.

Going somewhere because they've heard of it knowing full well it will be shit rather than trying somewhere they haven't heard of incase it might be shit.  ie. going to Jamies Italian Kitchen or McDonald's in Rome.

Expecting everyone else to be 100pc on the ball when they're a bunch of fuckwits.

Blaming and claiming.

Self pity.

Having an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.

How long have I lived up here?