Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:05:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Storm In US History

Started by Head Gardener, September 13, 2018, 05:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Attila

I miss hurricane season -- this would have been a birthday one for me, too, were I still living in the area in the path of destruction.

There is nowt more strange than going outside as the eye of the storm passes directly overhead. I've had the chance to experience it several times.

Speaking of which, there's a tiny cake on my profile.

Dex Sawash

We spent a few days dead in the path. Disappointed to have this veer in the forecast.  Just started getting the proper hurricaney feel of heat and humidity  outdoors

steve98

It's "G" next (Isn't it? After "F" for Florence?). If it's possible to nominate, I'd like to nominate "Glynn", which is about the only nice-sounding name beginning with "G".

Dex Sawash

hamfist

Quote from: steve98 on September 13, 2018, 08:54:06 PM
It's "G" next (Isn't it? After "F" for Florence?). If it's possible to nominate, I'd like to nominate "Glynn", which is about the only nice-sounding name beginning with "G".

I wish it was Hurricane Gary next. Then Hurricane Hurricane.

hamfist

BlodwynPig

Ian Drunken Smurf

Always hope that one day there will be a Hurricane Higgins.

Twed

Twed

Oh wait
The tail of this storm could cause me to feel chilly

Now it is important to me!

Head Gardener

Cuellar

There's an even bigger one threatening the Philippines but your MSM won't comment on that.

kngen

After a few days of pre-Hurricane panic, and fights in Wal-Mart over bread and water, Florence has decided to give Virginia a miss (almost uncannily so, as the latest predictions have it bending right round us, and then up through West Virginia into Ohio and PA, like a beautifully flighted Pirlo corner). I'm quite glad not to have to bring my chilli plants indoors, tbh.

I did think of you, Dex, as a fellow Mid-Atlantic region resident, but I guess it's skipping you guys, too?

Cursus

Quote from: hamfist on September 13, 2018, 08:57:20 PM
I wish it was Hurricane Gary next. Then Hurricane Hurricane.

The first of those wishes might (almost) come true:

(Though the naming system for tropical storms like Florence is slightly different.)

Attila

Quote from: kngen on September 14, 2018, 05:14:28 PM
After a few days of pre-Hurricane panic, and fights in Wal-Mart over bread and water, Florence has decided to give Virginia a miss (almost uncannily so, as the latest predictions have it bending right round us, and then up through West Virginia into Ohio and PA, like a beautifully flighted Pirlo corner). I'm quite glad not to have to bring my chilli plants indoors, tbh.

I did think of you, Dex, as a fellow Mid-Atlantic region resident, but I guess it's skipping you guys, too?

You guys have my best wishes in the face of the storm, as a fellow someone who spent her first 45 years in the mid-Atlantic (mostly in DE, but a spell in Charlottesville then a ghastly 8 years in Prince Edward County before moving back up to DE).

I don't remember any storm that big, yikes (although my parents would rattle on about Hazel whenever a new hurricane was blowing up the eastern seaboard).

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cuellar on September 14, 2018, 05:02:14 PM
There's an even bigger one threatening the Philippines but your MSM won't comment on that.

It got a mention on the Radio 4 7pm news bulletin this evening. Very slightly shorter shrift than the USA one, and about two stories later.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuellar on September 14, 2018, 05:02:14 PM

To be honest there is weather straight from the circles of hell almost every week in asia. Just a part of life.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on September 14, 2018, 07:17:34 PM
To be honest there is weather straight from the circles of hell almost every week in asia. Just a part of life.

Not true at all.

My mate lives in Hong Kong and there's one coming almost twice as fast but he's just going to work don't give a fuck to the thing. Good bye man, its time for the end of your life.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: kngen on September 14, 2018, 05:14:28 PM

Just unpleasantly warm and moist so far

shiftwork2

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 14, 2018, 09:08:25 PM
My mate lives in Hong Kong and there's one coming almost twice as fast but he's just going to work don't give a fuck to the thing. Good bye man, its time for the end of your life.

I won't miss Hong Kong. See you guys on the flipside. Patton's tears. Where's Daddy now dipshits?

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 13, 2018, 08:56:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Frying Pan Shoal webcam, 30 miles off Cape Fear

These webcams over the ocean are cool.  never seen em' before, quite relaxing just watching nothing happen.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2018, 09:37:07 AM
I won't miss Hong Kong. See you guys on the flipside. Patton's tears. Where's Daddy now dipshits?

The thing that struck me about Hong Kong when I was out there was the sheer amount of posh upper class English twenty somethings mooching about. 

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2018, 09:37:07 AM

Amen to that one. Sayonara, Mong Kok.