Author Topic: Define "handsome"  (Read 1267 times)

doppelkorn

• I just can't stop thinkin about the film Space Jam
Re: Define "handsome"
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
^ Agree. I often get it where there's a man or a woman who is obviously put together in a good looking way but there might be something strangely unpleasant (to me anyway) about them despite that. I think generally being put together well is only half the battle to being attractive. There's a lad I know who is very, very handsome but has never had any luck with guys because, as a lot of people who know him say, there's something chilly about him that makes him difficult to connect to.

There's a few people like that I can think of. At a playgroup my son goes to, one of the looker-afterers is a youngish lady with cartoonishly bad teeth and a kind of weary smile that seems to say "the father of my children has been denied early release again". But she's got something about her that I find attractive in the literal sense of I want to keep looking at her.

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
Your mum/nan calls you handsome when you're a kid. That's about it as far as my experience goes. J assume handsome mostly applies tk men who are objectively and traditionally good looking; strong jawline, decent body, well kept appearance and haor etc.

Handsome is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone could be called handsome, even you.

shiftwork2

• Get the girls back to work, Ivy
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
I used to think there were handsome cabs during the era of Sherlock Holmes.  44 years old I was.  And clearly not reading the stories.

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
It's always seemed to me like a polite euphemism for unattractive when applied to women. Not ugly or mannish by any means, just not someone you'd want to snog. So you call a woman handsome, instead of beautiful or good looking, because you don't want anyone to think you fancy her. It's a bit childish really.

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
Philip Schofield

Maurice Yeatman

• Peter Falk in me, I'm done
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
I was handsome when I lived in Cornwall, loads of people said so.

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »

And now?

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
It's always seemed to me like a polite euphemism for unattractive when applied to women. Not ugly or mannish by any means, just not someone you'd want to snog. So you call a woman handsome, instead of beautiful or good looking, because you don't want anyone to think you fancy her. It's a bit childish really.

Not really. I am thinking in particular of Fiona Bruce, specifically about 15 years ago. I remember remarking to someone that I thought she was handsome. I would not have turned down a snog off her, if one was offered. No sir.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Got to be getting his head on that for me Gary
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
I have never experienced anyone use the word handsome regarding a woman's appearance. Is this regional?

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »
"A lovely drop of cock".

Maurice Yeatman

• Peter Falk in me, I'm done
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »

And now?

Not so much. And my face is a little pasty hahahahahahahaha

See no.2 - https://www.buzzfeed.com/beckybarnicoat/cornish-sentences-that-will-confuse-the-fuck

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »
Strong rasmus.

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »
A 'handsome' man is some jerk in a smart uniform or an expensive suit and I say no to that. 'Pretty' only designates a certain sort of male attractiveness, certainly not the square-jawed broad shouldered type. What do people say nowadays? 'Hot'? 'Gorgeous'? 'Sexy'?

Americans and 'cute', what a mess that word is, though not as bad as the Britons and their 'fit'.

Words fail us.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
Tom Hardy.

Kane Jones

• I want to see your 27 fingers explode in my body
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 08:40:29 PM »
When I think of the word 'handsome' I picture your Brad Pitts or Chris Pratts or young Harrison Ford circa Raiders. Kind of rugged, chiseled, y'know.
I'm not handsome, but I am symmetrical and attractive. I'm quite smiley, warm, funny and self-confident and people are drawn to that, I think. Before you think I'm being arrogant, I'm really not. I'm a bald short-arse. But I like myself a lot and consequently, other people seem to as well.

"A lovely drop of cock".

This made me laugh. +1

non capisco

• automatic writing by phantom limb
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
Brian Conley

I've twice been compared physically to the 'I'm a puppet' funnyman by complete strangers so I'm happy to concede that this is the correct answer. That or Ray Liotta.

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »
Someone's mum once described my looks as 'pleasing'. Was well happy with that one.

doppelkorn

• I just can't stop thinkin about the film Space Jam
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »
A former professional footballer once described me as having "Hollywood good looks" but sadly he died the night after they sold their pub and retired.

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
Have you considered getting into modelling? As it turns out, I happen to be a professional male underwear model photographer.

A few of my photos could get you on the circuit—you'd never look back.

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2018, 10:58:39 PM »
^ Agree. I often get it where there's a man or a woman who is obviously put together in a good looking way but there might be something strangely unpleasant (to me anyway) about them despite that. I think generally being put together well is only half the battle to being attractive. There's a lad I know who is very, very handsome but has never had any luck with guys because, as a lot of people who know him say, there's something chilly about him that makes him difficult to connect to.

I'm guessing that's how I appear to a lot of people, not sure about the overtly hansom bit but a touch of the Richard Ashcrofts with a fairly prominent brow/nose(albeit less extreme than old Rich) and a propensity to frown. Maybe just paranoia but I do often get the feeling people are rather uncomfortable around me until I actually talk to them expecting someone rather thuggish.

Actually gotten to the stage where selling photography I make sure I'm sitting down on a lower level to them as much as possible and offer at least some conversation quite quickly.

Bhazor

• Are you rolling your own jelly babies in there?
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 02:19:25 AM »
I think its eye brows. Handsome women have killer eyebrows.

That and a strong jawline