Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bojack Horseman (Season 5)

Started by BritishHobo, September 13, 2018, 10:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Out tomorrow!

I've been rewatching season four this week and I've had such a good time. Every episode I've been genuinely no-hyperbole laughing out loud every few minutes, real proper belly laughs, and the heavier side is nailed. I was annoyed when it first came out that there seemed to be no time given to Sara Lynn's death, but that meant I overlooked the incredible stuff they did do. The Todd and Princess Carolyn episodes especially are sublime. And Time's Arrow, fucking hell.

Anyway, I'd forgotten how much I love this show, and now I'm really fucking excited.

Small Man Big Horse

I truly can't wait, I love this show to pieces, and tomorrow's going to be a great day for comedy in general as apparently the new Amazon series Forever is supposed to be great, and Norm's chat show and American Vandal season 2 will be available too.

rue the polywhirl

Nervously anticipating this. First season was sublime. Second one was patchier but went to higher places. 3rd was an almost complete disaster. 4th was a bit strained with most of the characters following and keeping to their own storyline and the only entertaining one being Bojack and daughter. Patter of punny jokes very stale by this point and Peanutbutter and Princess Kitten character verging on irredeemably annoying. Series needs to raise its game otherwise it will be... NoJack Horseman or even Bojack SeriesRunItsCourseMan.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 13, 2018, 11:39:15 PM
Nervously anticipating this. First season was sublime. Second one was patchier but went to higher places. 3rd was an almost complete disaster. 4th was a bit strained with most of the characters following and keeping to their own storyline and the only entertaining one being Bojack and daughter. Patter of punny jokes very stale by this point and Peanutbutter and Princess Kitten character verging on irredeemably annoying. Series needs to raise its game otherwise it will be... NoJack Horseman or even Bojack SeriesRunItsCourseMan.

There's a lot of mad and quite false opinions here I reckon. First one started off patchily but got stronger, second one had a weak opener but then was superb, third one was fantastic throughout and the fourth might just have been the best yet. And I have the words horse and man in my username so I know about these things.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 13, 2018, 11:45:57 PM
...third one was fantastic throughout...

This maybe the falsest and maddest opinion of them all. Every episode of that season was like plunging into a new nadir of jumbled, listless storytelling and cringey, overstuffed joke-writing. The Dolphin nightclub workers? Abortion jokes and sketches that were literally as funny as abortions. Apart from the Sara Lynn stuff at the end which was admittedly much stronger and touching, the underwater episode was the only one I appreciated and that was because of its silent comedy concept rather than any of its jokes.

The first season I was totally gripped by - the narrative and the character building, show felt completely fresh and season 2 had some insane episodes like the Game show, theme park episode and the dramatic final two episodes. You have 'man' and 'horse' in your name but I have a feeling that's not your real name. You could easily be half woman, half Clifford The Big Red Dog in disguise.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 14, 2018, 12:19:39 AM

This maybe the falsest and maddest opinion of them all. Every episode of that season was like plunging into a new nadir of jumbled, listless storytelling and cringey, overstuffed joke-writing. The Dolphin nightclub workers? Abortion jokes and sketches that were literally as funny as abortions. Apart from the Sara Lynn stuff at the end which was admittedly much stronger and touching, the underwater episode was the only one I appreciated and that was because of its silent comedy concept rather than any of its jokes.

The first season I was totally gripped by - the narrative and the character building, show felt completely fresh and season 2 had some insane episodes like the Game show, theme park episode and the dramatic final two episodes.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the third season it seems. Or we could have a big naked fight in front of a roaring fire, the choice is yours.

QuoteYou have 'man' and 'horse' in your name but I have a feeling that's not your real name. You could easily be half woman, half Clifford The Big Red Dog in disguise.

I've posted many a photo which prove I'm a man. And one where I'm quite the horse. If the horse has a small penis.

Z

I bailed midway through season 2 first time after it being hyped up quite a lot.

Been loving it since I returned to it though, 3 was probably the most consistent season but I liked the best bits of 4 a lot more. Kinda dug Todd being asexual a bit too much, has me reassessing my levels of snark towards people lapping up token representation in things.

The whole animal people thing falls horribly flat for me still, I'd rather they just completely ignored it than do visual jokes around it or w/e.

madhair60

Enjoyed all four seasons personally. I don't think it's ever been as funny as season 2 since but I've always enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to this one.

Can we hide spoilers please? Use the color=transparent and underline trick.

like this (quote message for code)

up_the_hampipe

When there's a new season of this show, I feel excited but anxious. I know it's going to be great, but there's going to be a real punch to the gut at some point, maybe at several points.

Egyptian Feast

It will be very interesting to see how they tackle #MeToo.

TMJ

The first five episodes of season one were, quite honestly, a bit shit. It took the whole season for it to become a decent show. S2 and S3 were just excellent throughout, and S4 was great too. Started S5 and am already enjoying it. This may be my favourite show on TV, honestly.

brat-sampson

I'm halfway through the season and it hasn't missed a beat. The social politics, the dumb humour, an almost token 'ohh, so they're doing *that* huh?' episode which simply wouldn't get produced by any other show but becomes an immediate memorable season highlight.

It's pretty much been on fire since the 4th or 5th episode of the first series. Utterly love it, even when it makes me feel thoroughly shitty.

Rocket Surgery

Ooh, it's back and it's bringing its theme tune with it.

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 14, 2018, 10:38:11 PMUtterly love it, even when it makes me feel thoroughly shitty.

Fuckin tell me about it.

BritishHobo

Fucking hell. I'm very tired and will ramble at length in specifics tomorrow, but I think that may be the best season yet. No show has made me laugh as much as this since Nathan For You and Review, and fuck knows what show before them. But to be able to make me laugh THAT much and still be as carefully constructed and give such depth of character and such heartbreaking weight to its depiction of mental health, addiction, the vast number of topics it covers, without ever feeling insincere or preachy. This really is one of the most incredible shows being made right now. Season six now immediately ta.

Wow, feel the exact opposite way. i liked that they tried a few different concepts, but overall the characters seemed to be treading water development-wise (Todd especially really felt like a spare part), and a lot of the jokes fell flat (nearly stopped watching the whole thing with the "sting-Ray Liotta" line, that's some sub-Family Guy shit).

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 15, 2018, 08:31:12 PM
Fucking hell. I'm very tired and will ramble at length in specifics tomorrow, but I think that may be the best season yet. No show has made me laugh as much as this since Nathan For You and Review, and fuck knows what show before them. But to be able to make me laugh THAT much and still be as carefully constructed and give such depth of character and such heartbreaking weight to its depiction of mental health, addiction, the vast number of topics it covers, without ever feeling insincere or preachy. This really is one of the most incredible shows being made right now. Season six now immediately ta.

Episode 6 is a goddamn masterpiece.

neveragain

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on September 15, 2018, 09:47:02 PM
a lot of the jokes fell flat (nearly stopped watching the whole thing with the "sting-Ray Liotta" line, that's some sub-Family Guy shit).

They've had a lot of similar puns in the past. It's not like they've only now decided to delve into wordplay. And I don't think they overuse it either, all the whimsy (animal-based stuff included) balances out the darkness.
I did feel the characters weren't on point to begin with but they won me over by the end. Who cares if Todd is a spare part? That's his character! Happy-go-lucky loner.

Loved the eulogy. Great to see such focused, singular-issue writing in the middle of such a mad and complex show.

Quote from: neveragain on September 16, 2018, 10:00:08 AM
Who cares if Todd is a spare part? That's his character! Happy-go-lucky loner.

I wish he just had more of a plot outside of the sex-robot stuff, those jokes fell flat for me. I did like Mr. Peanutbutter's arc, I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks (sorry).

selectivememory

Thoroughly enjoyed that, but I will post more detailed thoughts after watching through again, as watching a whole season in three days can be pretty full on and it's probably easy to miss bits, and I found that the flaws of Season 4 were a lot more obvious after I watched it through a second time.

I love Todd, for the record, despite the fact that he's an utterly pointless character. The sex robot stuff was hilarious, particularly the way that Todd interacted with it as if he'd somehow forgotten that he was the one who'd recorded everything it could say in the first place.

Did anyone else get really strong True Detective vibes from Philbert? I'm sure it was supposed to be a pretty broad parody, but I can't help but feel that the writers must have had TD and Nic Pizzolatto in mind at times.

AllisonSays

I felt totally sure it was a dig at True Detective, while at the same time being a metadig at Bojack Horseman. Good writing.

up_the_hampipe

Oof, episode two, what a drag. Diane is a very boring character. She's just as self-involved as Bojack but in a lot less interesting ways. I'm assuming this picks up along the way. More of the titular character please, this divorce stuff between two characters who were always terribly mismatched to begin with will hopefully not eat up too much of this season.

monolith

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on September 16, 2018, 01:21:37 AM
Episode 6 is a goddamn masterpiece.
Yeah, just finished that episode and had to come on here. Probably too early to say this as there are a lot of other candidates but it might be my favourite episode of the whole run so far, it's brilliant on so many levels.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 16, 2018, 08:45:46 PM
Oof, episode two, what a drag. Diane is a very boring character. She's just as self-involved as Bojack but in a lot less interesting ways. I'm assuming this picks up along the way. More of the titular character please, this divorce stuff between two characters who were always terribly mismatched to begin with will hopefully not eat up too much of this season.

Yeh, it felt like it was trying to win an Oscar for best short movie ala Barney Gumble in A Star Is Burns but it just came across as thoroughly long-winded and pretentious. Episode 3 is so much better. Actually contains jokes, a coherent plot and Todd back to his best.

Captain Z

Hmm, does anything funny happen in the last 5 episodes? Because I wasn't totally sold on series 4 and I'm underwhelmed by this one.

monolith

Quote from: Captain Z on September 17, 2018, 07:50:47 PM
Hmm, does anything funny happen in the last 5 episodes? Because I wasn't totally sold on series 4 and I'm underwhelmed by this one.
Subjective but if you haven't laughed at the first 7 then I doubt you will laugh at the last 5.

I've laughed (and cried) my way through the whole season now, absolutely loved it and it's probably my favourite season so far. Can't think of any other show that brings up so many emotions yet still makes me laugh my arse off, sometimes the day after I've watched an episode and I think back to it.

Can't decide if I want it to run and run or if I'd rather one or two more solid seasons and a good ending. I suppose if the quality doesn't dip there's no reason for it to carry on and on if it's popular enough.

Would be devastated if it wasn't renewed at this point though.

rue the polywhirl

I thought episodes 4 and 5 were already quite high on the waffle content; episode 5 at times just left me bemused with Todd Handface and floating cloud of gas and yarn Princess Caitlyn and the chunky lesbian therapist couple who are awful droney characters and there solely I bet so the writers can say 'WE'RE WOKE AS!!!!'. The eulogy episode is perhaps the breaking point, the second to final straw. Not only was the episode painfully framed so it could service a mild to decent but ultimately not worth it closing gag but the dialogue (or monologue in this case) was like experiencing Chinese water torture. It built up a smidgeon of poignancy during the last 5 minutes but overall was so rambling and indulgently excuted. There are some good flashes of wackiness this season but a lot of it just doesn't hit the target and too often comedy seems to be its second remit behind being incredibly woke. Mr Peanutbutter is a lot better this season and his chemistry on-set and behind the scenes with Bojack (as well as his romance storyline away from Dianne) is where the show has been strongest this year.

monolith

Pickles? That was your high point? Each to their own!

ajsmith2

My favourite was the Halloween episode. I like how they're very specific about evoking the recent past; getting the subtle differences between culture in 2004 and 2009 just right, rather than doing a generic 'all the decade was like this' thing, and hitting on the same shopworn 60s/70s/80s and now 90s nostalgic things already done to death everywhere else. I also like how they're very consistent about when the characters were born and how old they are in the current series too.

Did anyone else see a kind of parallel between the forced smiles promotional interview after Bojack had attacked his co star and that Arrested Development car crash press conference (which of course Will Arnett was part of too): surely a co-incidence and the BH bit would have been scripted and prob animated before the AS thing, but it still kind of uncomfortably echoed it.

monolith

I thought of the scene in Inglorious Bastards where Tarantino actually choked Diane Kruger (and you can tell). It's perhaps too on the the nose to be a reference to that but it did make me question the official narrative of that incident.

olliebean

That Halloween episode had me wondering - is that indicative of the speed they're expecting us to watch it? Because one episode every 6-7 days would get to that one around Halloween time.