Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:49:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

South Park Season 22 #cancelsouthpark

Started by Petey Pate, September 14, 2018, 06:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

up_the_hampipe

Really enjoyed the last season. I am intrigued by this approach.

up_the_hampipe

Started last night. First episode is some biting satire. Made me laugh a lot. #cancelsouthpark

Timothy

This was great. What an amazing first episode.

steveh

Comedy Central UK now seem to be showing it on Thursday nights at 10.30 a week after the US.

rue the polywhirl

That first episode of the season was refreshingly brill. What a promotional gambit. If they do cancel South Park I'd probably engage in my own mass shooting. Hope they keep it up for the other 9 episodes of the season.

selectivememory

Decent opener. I think they found the perfect South Park angle for the school shootings satire. Although the stuff with Sharon and Randy wasn't that amusing to me. Cartman being Cartman is still a lot of fun after 22 years though.

Cautiously optimistic about this season after that. The last one turned out reasonably well after a ropey start.

Twed

Quote from: selectivememory on September 28, 2018, 10:12:33 PM
Decent opener. I think they found the perfect South Park angle for the school shootings satire. Although the stuff with Sharon and Randy wasn't that amusing to me.
I loved the way it was practically skipped over though. Randy's song was just a few snippets overheard between more important things.

Period material is beyond weak though. And the ending was pretty obvious, but could go in a great direction.

robotam

Quote from: steveh on September 28, 2018, 12:01:00 PM
Comedy Central UK now seem to be showing it on Thursday nights at 10.30 a week after the US.

It's the same week as the US. First episode was on this Thursday.
I thought it was good. Cartman stuff was pretty standard. The period storyline itself wasn't great, but had lots of funny moments, mainly Randy's face anytime he got caught miming. Loved just how bleak everything to do withschool shootings was.

BritishHobo

I liked it, but they went so much heavier on the period stuff to the point that it just shadowed out what they were actually trying to do - which is a shame, as the idea of everyone so easily shrugging off school shootings is brilliant.

up_the_hampipe

I thought the idea of the period stuff was that it was supposed to be completely lame and played out for him to go there

colacentral

Not seen the actual episode but read reviews etc online (not really watched South Park for over 10 years) but: is Stan dead then? Everything I read makes it sound like it's been ambiguous about what happened - all I see is that the final scene says Stan's been shot and his parents shrug it off. Is that not possibly what the #cancelsouthpark thing is all about? They're fucking themselves by killing a huge original non-Kenny character in a horrific, depressing way?

Sorry for possibly talking out of my arse on this but I can't see any discussion of it anywhere, or any entertainment of the idea, but I'm also not seeing clarity over Stan's status.

Maybe I should actually watch it.

Sin Agog

That was the first ep I've watched in ten years myself.  99% sure Stan being shot, and his folks shrugging it off, was just a little...what's that word comedians use all the time?  Tag.  A tag, twist thing.  He'll be right as rain come the next episode.

Moribunderast

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if Stan was dead. The show has had more continuity within seasons for the past few years so he may have a slight injury or a few references to being shot but I don't think he'll be dead. Would be an interesting move though.

Didn't feel like any groundwork was laid for a season-long arc here, so maybe they're returning to a more episodic format. I guess the Cartman stuff could be continued but it felt a bit weak to go beyond one episode, funny as it was to see Eric delving further into conspiracy rather than confront the obvious truth that Token was sick of him cheating.

I thought the episode was pretty good. The shooting stuff was fantastic but I did have a touch of eye-rolling at all the period stuff. I think that might have been the point but maybe they just didn't get the balance right for me. It is rather savage that they could do an episode concluding in parents not caring about their kid getting shot and that being a somewhat accurate reflection of the gun debate in America in 2018. Part of me wonders if the #cancelsouthpark thing is about the world they try to parody now having become too crazy and stupid to actually make fun of?

Anyway, great to have this show back. It's hit-and-miss these days but I feel like the past few years have had more hits than misses and I still get excited upon firing up an episode because it is a show where anything can happen and I love that after 22 years these guys can still surprise me and make me howl with laughter.

Timothy

The period stuff overshadowing everything was so stupid that it became funny. Same with the song.

Think cancelsouthpark will be about the fact that they will keep making offensive satire, what theyve been doing for 21 seasons, but what in todays world often gets people that feel offended. Maybe they expect an uproar and already use it for marketing in a see told you so kind of way.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 29, 2018, 02:27:58 PM
I thought the idea of the period stuff was that it was supposed to be completely lame and played out for him to go there

Yeah, everything about the way it was handled conveyed this and the idea that some people are determined to look elsewhere for explanations, rather than engage with the problem itself.

Throughout, Sharon was portrayed as the most reasonable, compassionate and human member of the community; that everyone would rather dismiss her very real and understandable concerns as hormonal overreaction is the searing comment about the current situation - school shootings are now normal and unremarkable, whereas caring about them is seen as unreasonable.

petril

Quote from: Timothy on September 30, 2018, 08:45:43 AM
The period stuff overshadowing everything was so stupid that it became funny. Same with the song.

Think cancelsouthpark will be about the fact that they will keep making offensive satire, what theyve been doing for 21 seasons, but what in todays world often gets people that feel offended. Maybe they expect an uproar and already use it for marketing in a see told you so kind of way.

the gag being that nobody will do so, South Park just being South Park being something most have already tuned out after 21 years

Timothy

Bit of a boring second episode compared to the first one

BritishHobo

Yeah what was that? Has there been paedo priest stuff in the news?

NoSleep

I'm not sure, but it seemed to follow the theme of last week's that its subject is just taken for granted nowadays.

BritishHobo

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. Interesting that there WERE consequences from the end of last episode (Stan's cast) but not in a way that had any impact on anybody's actions, including Stan, and that just weren't referenced at all.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 05, 2018, 07:42:14 PM
That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. Interesting that there WERE consequences from the end of last episode (Stan's cast) but not in a way that had any impact on anybody's actions, including Stan, and that just weren't referenced at all.

Isnt that part of the point too? That with school shootings and fuck happy priest diddlers nothing gets done that has any impact, people just accept them as facts that cant be changed? It will be interesting to see what next weeks episode is about.

Ferris

There's been a ton of Catholic Church scandal stories in the US in the last month or 2. Not sure if they're on the news in the UK.

up_the_hampipe

I found that episode really funny and pretty close to the bone, just like the first. Seems like they're going to keep pushing it this season, hence the hashtag.

mojo filters

I loved the season opener, classic and original South Park bang on form!

Last week was very funny in places, mainly the idea of everyone enjoying church for the jokes plus Randy's mimes, however the Catholic clean up crew (or whatever they were called) seemed rather crass and obvious as characters - not especially funny or original (in South Park terms) and had far too much screen time. The Butters and priest story was funny, but again got kinda predictable and began to drag.

I suspect this season will be like the last one: brilliant episodes one week, varying quality the next. Hopefully they'll mange another stone cold stand out classic like the Trump tweets/North Korea/texting + driving episode!

rue the polywhirl

Yeh, this week's was comparatively a bit sterile and going over old ground. A few chuckles but in humour terms not much different from an actual church sermon. Conceptually a tight episode but gags were lacking any 'passion', like the opposite of a priest in a chuck-e-cheese apparently.

mojo filters

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on October 07, 2018, 05:54:16 PM
Conceptually a tight episode but gags were lacking any 'passion', like the opposite of a priest in a chuck-e-cheese apparently.

The whole angle on the church congregation attending principally to take the piss, was a clever and typically hilarious inversion - in line with the original takes on current affairs South Park does so well.

It was just a shame the rest of the story didn't seem quite as original, plus for an episode with multiple storylines it still seemed to drag on towards the end.

mojo filters

Really unimpressed with this week. Basically dumb riffing with a character I hate, on the Rosanne Ambian/twitter thing. Then a totally disjointed separate story about PC Principal was tacked on - which was also pretty poor.

Admittedly there was one really good joke at the end (and again in tune with #cancelsouthpark) which kinda made up for sitting through such an otherwise shitty episode!