Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

South Park Season 22 #cancelsouthpark

Started by Petey Pate, September 14, 2018, 06:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Not watched any of this season, but I got a news alert on my AIbrainphone for this cos of my obsessive interest in the decline of The Simpsons:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/south-park-simpsons-apu-mr-hankey-brett-kavanaugh-episode-season-22-a8578501.html

https://uproxx.com/tv/south-park-the-simpsons-kavanaugh-episode/3/

Thought it was interesting they're finally taking the gloves off with The Simpsons after years of being respectful. Some people are saying it's just a knowing parody of the Apu controversy rather than The Simpsons itself, but I dunno: seems a bit more pointed to me. Maybe it's a genuine expression of fatique that The Simpsons is still on the air?

up_the_hampipe

Unsurpringly, a messy reaction to this episode on twitter https://twitter.com/i/events/1050451648617668608

It was parodying all of these people, but they're taking what they want from the episode.

selectivememory

I actually enjoyed that one a lot. It was all over the place in both plotting and message, but it was very funny. I couldn't help but love the PC babies joke.

BritishHobo

I kind of love Twitter being full of crowds of people struggling to put together the genius message behind the episode, all coming to wildly opposing views. Almost as if the show has been absolutely muddled to fuck for years now and doesn't really have a clue what it's trying to say.

up_the_hampipe

Is it bad that I thought the Monica Lewinsky joke was funny?

NoSleep

I wondered if Strong Woman was going to remain a character (as she was introduced so late in the previous season I had forgotten about her, until I rewatched it recently). I wonder if "Ms Mackey" is still present, too?

mojo filters

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 12, 2018, 09:21:45 AM
Is it bad that I thought the Monica Lewinsky joke was funny?

No. I for one am happy someone found something funny. I thought it was a bit lazy, but at least not outright irritating like the PC Principal / Strong Woman silliness, those characters need to go, they were funny for at most half an episode - now they are merely predictable.

The end was bizarrely brilliant, by contrast. In particular I appreciated they got the Simpsons visual perfect for the Apu joke. When they did that "Simpsons did it" episode with the Bart character, he was rather poorly drawn by comparison.

NoSleep

They've visited the Simpsons since "Simpsons Did It". There was the two parter where Cartman convinced Bart that he was the man to bring down Family Guy, which is probably the reason some people think they have "changed allegiances". The whole point of PC Principal is that PC isn't going away. They've pointed out that mainstream TV (not that they aren't mainstream themselves) hasn't generally caught on to that.

up_the_hampipe

PC Babies was great, but it's going to be appropriated as a meme by the alt-right very quickly. Not looking forward to that.

Timothy

Great episode. Lots of laughs after the weak episode from last week.

rue the polywhirl

A fairly amusing episode throughout. Definitely a case where the closing gag elevates an episode from alright to timely, prescient and hitting the mark with a golden arrow. Lewinsky joke was legit good. PC babies storyline so adorable. 'Defecation lawsuit' got a really guilty laugh as well.

steveh

Is it just me who doesn't like the style of artwork that's crept in over the last few seasons? It's present in some of the newer characters like PC Principal and some backgrounds - much finer detailing and lines in place of the earlier chunkier cardboard style. Can't put my finger on what it is that makes me dislike it or if I'm associating that style it with something else.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: steveh on October 13, 2018, 08:33:35 AM
Is it just me who doesn't like the style of artwork that's crept in over the last few seasons? It's present in some of the newer characters like PC Principal and some backgrounds - much finer detailing and lines in place of the earlier chunkier cardboard style. Can't put my finger on what it is that makes me dislike it or if I'm associating that style it with something else.

I can't say it bothers me that much in South Park, but now that you've pointed it out I'm reminded of how weird & bad it looks when the more realistically-drawn later-Season Simpsons characters are seen next to the ones designed in the early '90s.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I have a friend who complains about any animation and art direction that deviates from the crude original season style. She hates the fact that they've ve had fingers since the movie.

I feel that, on the whole, the evolution of the style has remained quite faithful in the ways it really needs to. The only problem I have is when they use fully 3D models for, say, vehicles - the cleaning machine from last week's Butters & Priest Maxi episode - which looks jarring and doesn't seem to be in the spirit of working within the art-styles limitations.

Captain Z

I liked the background gag of there being both a male and female version of the 'Understanding Gender' leaflet.

up_the_hampipe

Alright episode this week, but the vape stuff seems a little played out. I did enjoy the Ronan Farrow references though.

Small Man Big Horse

I was a bit disappointed, if only because the AV Club claimed it was one of the funniest in years in the headline to their review so I was really looking forward to it. There were some decent enough gags but it ran out of steam towards the end.

rue the polywhirl

Definitely one of the funnest episodes of SP I've seen in a while. A lot of fruity steam towards the end. Randy storyline resolved just fine. Not much payoff for the Kyle and Cartman story despite ratcheting build up. Two Princes mash up a bit mind-mincing and not very comedic or well done. And Cartman going poopsies without wiping. The depravity of the guy.

Timothy

Boring episode. Old subject.

First one of the four I didnt enjoy

mojo filters

Quote from: Timothy on October 19, 2018, 10:26:39 PM
Boring episode. Old subject.

First one of the four I didnt enjoy

I thought it *would* have been a pretty decent episode, a few years ago.

Instead whilst still being reasonably consistently funny - the whole subject just felt old and predictable. South Park are usually so quick to find the humour in this kind of subject matter, it's partly what makes their best and wittiest takes so good!

However still better than the dodgy last episode...

Timothy

Last weeks episode was the best of the season so far imo

Moribunderast

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 19, 2018, 02:21:40 PM
I was a bit disappointed, if only because the AV Club claimed it was one of the funniest in years in the headline to their review so I was really looking forward to it. There were some decent enough gags but it ran out of steam towards the end.

I've found this year's South Park reviewer on AV to be quite clueless. Shoehorns politics into reviews and docks points if Matt and Trey seem to disagree with him on a particular issue. Despite me too being a bleeding heart pinko lefty soyboy, his reviews have me rolling my eyes. Somehow knew this week's episode would be relatively weak when I saw his grade.

New Jack

the AV Club is like fucking oppositeland lately. Not just because their a sell-out Kotaku-blowing ad-riddled hellhole. I'm literally taking their opinions as the opposite of what's true

My recommendation is to ignore them, and me too if you like

Bleeding Kansas

Why do the female PC Babies have pink tinted shades and the males have blue tints?

NoSleep

How do you know which are the males and females?

Captain Z

I laughed but I don't really understand the Two Princes song reference, is it just regarded as a stoner anthem or something?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on October 20, 2018, 10:52:48 PM
I've found this year's South Park reviewer on AV to be quite clueless. Shoehorns politics into reviews and docks points if Matt and Trey seem to disagree with him on a particular issue. Despite me too being a bleeding heart pinko lefty soyboy, his reviews have me rolling my eyes. Somehow knew this week's episode would be relatively weak when I saw his grade.

I know what you mean, I'm not a fan of his either and find his reviews to be pretty poor. But then that's true of a lot of the writers they've hired lately, I still visit for the newswires and whenever Will Harris contributes an interview or article, but I'm not going to be that gutted if it ever closes down now.

Quote from: New Jack on October 20, 2018, 11:01:08 PM
the AV Club is like fucking oppositeland lately. Not just because their a sell-out Kotaku-blowing ad-riddled hellhole. I'm literally taking their opinions as the opposite of what's true

My recommendation is to ignore them, and me too if you like

I've found that too, the same day they published that South Park review they put up a fairly negative one of It's Always Sunny, whereas I was really fond of that episode. I notice they've been raving about the new series of The Walking Dead too whereas everyone I know has been greatly disappointed by it.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: NoSleep on October 22, 2018, 11:14:11 AM
How do you know which are the males and females?

I did consider that, but they do mention in the episode that there are three males and two females so it seems a little coincidental. I just think that it is an odd character design if the boys are in blue and the girls are in pink.

mojo filters

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on October 23, 2018, 10:39:40 PM
I just think that it is an odd character design if the boys are in blue and the girls are in pink.

PC principles?