Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:53:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

South Park Season 22 #cancelsouthpark

Started by Petey Pate, September 14, 2018, 06:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo filters

Quote from: NoSleep on November 19, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
Which makes them look like they're sitting on the fence and have no opinion; like a lot of mainstream entertainment. It's actually refreshing (and rare) to see otherwise.

Does it not make sense that the best satirists are equal opportunity offenders?

I agree it's both rare and refreshing.

NoSleep

I can think of one other instance where they "stood up". When they decided to depict Mohammed in the Family Guy two-parter and got censored by Comedy Central (but I guess that doesn't really count as they were probably counting on being censored).

mojo filters

Quote from: NoSleep on November 19, 2018, 06:16:11 PM
I can think of one other instance where they "stood up". When they decided to depict Mohammed in the Family Guy two-parter and got censored by Comedy Central (but I guess that doesn't really count as they were probably counting on being censored).

Combine factoring in Family Guy (or any of McFarlane's predictable shitty output) and realistic expectations re the Muslim thing - censorship is probably not high on the priority list, but can be a badge of pride in the work.

I guess if unregulated cable Comedy Central network are censoring you - you once again must be doing something right!

Furthermore South Park did portray prophet Mohammed earlier, to much acclaim. It might have been brief, but it exposed both the extremists and the apologists.

If I believed in a deity that representation of on screen represented the ultimate heresy, I'd think whatever dumb belief system and/or religion I was schilling for had properly arrived.

God speed the good ship South Park, and all offended by their output!

mojo filters

In addition, if your beliefs or religion is offended by a cartoon cable comedy show - maybe that's yer cue to fuck off back to the dark ages where you belong?

Alternatively, you can choose not to watch...

NoSleep

Quote from: mojo filters on November 19, 2018, 06:50:00 PM
Furthermore South Park did portray prophet Mohammed earlier, to much acclaim. It might have been brief, but it exposed both the extremists and the apologists.

As I recall it turned out not to be Mohammed (wasn't it Santa or something?)

They did portray Mohammed in Super Best Friends (before there was any controversy) and that portrayal appeared under the title music for a period (for several episodes).

NoSleep

Quote from: mojo filters on November 19, 2018, 06:54:35 PM
In addition, if your beliefs or religion is offended by a cartoon cable comedy show - maybe that's yer cue to fuck off back to the dark ages where you belong?

Seems unnecessarily unpleasant.

mojo filters

Quote from: NoSleep on November 19, 2018, 07:01:32 PM
Seems unnecessarily unpleasant.

If you are unable to choose what you care to read, or conversely have some capacity to undergird and have faith in any belief system you choose to adhere to - you have whatever faith or choice at hand which theoretically should protect you from any offence.

If you adhere to some paper-thin beliefs or values, choosing to expose yourself to any kind of free-form media - you get exposed to a range of opinions, and should anticipate any inability to take criticism and/or potential offense in your stride.

Why should I have sympathy for folks who choose to be offended by a notoriously provocative cartoon?

Twed

Is any of that relevant here, in this thread?

NoSleep

Quote from: mojo filters on November 19, 2018, 07:23:37 PM
If you are unable to choose what you care to read, or conversely have some capacity to undergird and have faith in any belief system you choose to adhere to - you have whatever faith or choice at hand which theoretically should protect you from any offence.

If you adhere to some paper-thin beliefs or values, choosing to expose yourself to any kind of free-form media - you get exposed to a range of opinions, and should anticipate any inability to take criticism and/or potential offense in your stride.

Why should I have sympathy for folks who choose to be offended by a notoriously provocative cartoon?

You would not necessarily have to watch it to know that, in this instance, no offence was caused, as nothing provocative was seen. I was more concerned about your own bile.

mojo filters

Quote from: Twed on November 19, 2018, 07:29:31 PM
Is any of that relevant here, in this thread?

I was accused of being unnecessarily unpleasant.

I have nothing but respect for folks with the strength to adhere to religious faith.

I'm exceptionally sceptical of accusations of causing offense, if and / or when such offense can be tracked back to a failure to have the inherent belief that forms the very core of the religion or belief system you are claiming to weaponize strategically - in pursuit of comendeering a narrative that is inconsistent with anything other than a perverse desire to take deliberate and objectionable offense, in conflict with inherent core values which otherwise would obviously characterise that which might otherwise be defensible.

At the end of the day, people of faith either need to understand the concept or read a dictionary. Such is neither hard to respect nor to define. If some random, anonymous Internet posting calls such into question - maybe the difficult questions should not be aimed in the direction of the person able to both understand and accommodate?

Twed

Quote from: mojo filters on November 19, 2018, 08:00:26 PM
I was accused of being unnecessarily unpleasant.
Because of your unsolicited rant about offense. You just seem overly offended by the idea that somebody might be offended, but I don't really think that was an issue here.

I love you mojo, I just think you're getting annoyed about something in an environment where it's not happening.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 19, 2018, 05:36:25 PM
I don't know. If that were the case, I don't see why they would bother with dredging up Manbearpig and making the (seemingly sincere, but heavily qualified) apology to Al Gore.
Parker and Stone are both pushing 50. People do tend to reevaluate things as they become old farts.

Yeah you could well be right. I do think (as the Guardian article I posted above argues) that their worldview and satire has become more nuanced and less kneejerk as they've aged. You could say that also makes it less sharp and memorable, (and indeed there is a complaint voiced earlier in this thread that recent episodes have become so oblique in their multifaceted commentary that anyone can extract any meaning they want from them) But I think it's less that it's toothless in a 21st century Simpsons style way but because they're trying to engage with and wring humour from all aspects of an issue. I don't think it's always successful but the effort is always there.

I think the contrast between the 2 trans episodes they did in the 00s and the 2010s also illustrates the difference: the later episode is a lot more sympathetic to trans people, but not because they feel they have to go all humourlessly virtuous about the subject, it's cos there just is a lot more discussion and understanding about those issues in the public domain this decade, and so the show has to reflect that to deliver a meaningful comment. To do another 'Mr Garrison's Fancy New Vagina' in the 2010s wouldn't be offensive so much as pointlessly out of touch.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mojo filters on November 19, 2018, 05:44:55 PM
Couldn't it be they were simply trying to be funny, but happened to miss the mark this time as seems to be the peril of their fast-paced production environment?
Well if their actual point is that climate change is a hoax, then they really missed the mark.

monolith

This isn't the worst season I've ever watched of South Park but I'm really struggling to laugh at any of it.

NoSleep

Didn't think this week's was too bad. Had a few laughs in there.

monolith

None of it's been bad, just very middling. I'm having kind of a shit week which might make me less inclined to laugh but it does seem to be quite a forgettable season so far.

Twed

The only thing I can really remember from the entire season so far is Two Princes, and that's because I have a soft spot for them using 90s classics (Barbie Girl and Steal My Sunshine have me in stitches, I'm pretty simple).

up_the_hampipe

What a terrible take on anxiety, even by their standards. Also the further they go with this PC babies thing, the more fuel they add to the alt-right fire. Some amusing bits though.

Noodle Lizard

I don't know why they've still not figured out how to end a season with an overarching narrative, despite having done it for the past three or four seasons.  Each finale is a convoluted mess that simultaneously feels padded out whilst leaving half the plot lines unresolved.  The biggest crime is that they often forget to put jokes in there as well.

Most of the topics could have been handled concisely in a single episode back in their better days, and they don't really work when spread out over an entire season, being forced to intersect with others which aren't especially connected.  They're also topics that South Park have done before - even in recent seasons - with a few details tweaked.  Just dull.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 27, 2018, 04:39:57 PM
Just dull.

This has been my feeling on the past few seasons.  I love the classic years but I really do think that the time has come to cancel South Park.  It's running on fumes.