Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel

Started by bgmnts, September 15, 2018, 09:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

Meanwhile, in other 90's Comedians from Newman and Baddiel in prices news:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=69150.new#new

holyzombiejesus

I remember him being on Jonathan Ross' BBC chats how and him saying how he didn't get much work any more, and Ross walking off set to basically give Baddiel a ten minute slot to advertise himself. He told one funny story about him taking his little girl in to a toilet cubicle (at a festival maybe) to change her knickers and just as he was pulling them down, she loudly said "David Baddiel".

H-O-W-L

Watching five minutes of that Baddiel's Syndrome episode has definitely given me some kind of fucking disease.

Brundle-Fly

I know from a reliable source that David Walliams does write his own books. It's not that inconceivable, as he has co-written quite a few sketch shows and a couple of sit-coms over the years. He's not just some reality tv contestant who has landed on their feet.

On the whole, I've enjoyed a lot of David Baddiel's comedy and in the light of this thread, his next one-man show will be quite intriguing. He gets Statto to write his novels though.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 17, 2018, 10:53:00 AM
I remember him being on Jonathan Ross' BBC chats how and him saying how he didn't get much work any more, and Ross walking off set to basically give Baddiel a ten minute slot to advertise himself. He told one funny story about him taking his little girl in to a toilet cubicle (at a festival maybe) to change her knickers and just as he was pulling them down, she loudly said "David Baddiel".

That's the story I mentioned earlier. So he's told it there, on 8 Out of 10 Cats, I'm sure it was told in his RHLSTP (Definitely came up on something with Herring), I think he told on that Dave show Alan Davies did. So that's at least four shows where he's told the same mildly amusing anecdote.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on September 17, 2018, 12:23:47 PM
That's the story I mentioned earlier. So he's told it there, on 8 Out of 10 Cats, I'm sure it was told in his RHLSTP (Definitely came up on something with Herring), I think he told on that Dave show Alan Davies did. So that's at least four shows where he's told the same mildly amusing anecdote.

And probably only four people would notice that; all who post on CaB.

yesitsme

Don't know if it's been mentioned so far but he famously struggles with insomnia doesn't he?

That's guilt that is.

Rolf Lundgren

I like him and find him good value on interviews and panel shows. It's harsh to say the success of shows like Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned were entirely down to Skinner as the dynamic between the two needed to work otherwise the show wouldn't have worked. His compulsive truth telling was a big asset on Unplanned too.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on September 17, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
His compulsive truth telling attention seeking because of lack of actual material was a big asset on Unplanned too.

Brundle-Fly

Seeking attention is part of the remit for a comedian, no?  I admire his candour.

Sebastian Cobb

I liked it when Monkey Dust ribbed him.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 17, 2018, 08:14:28 PM
Seeking attention is part of the remit for a comedian, no?  I admire his candour.

Yeah but most do it through writing actual material, not just trying to be shocking with their brutal honesty. Theres a bit in one of his stand up shows where he talks about the root of male sexual pleasure (I think he said it was the taint) then followed up by covering the mic with his hand and whispering  "why is he saying this?" Thats what I hate, comedians who have to draw attention to how outrageous theyre being. If youre just trying to be honest, fair enough, but its not enough for him to be honest, he has to be at pains to point out just how honest and outrageous he is. Because he has a serious lack of material, hence him endlessly repeating jokes and stories.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 17, 2018, 08:56:53 PM
Yeah but most do it through writing actual material, not just trying to be shocking with their brutal honesty. Theres a bit in one of his stand up shows where he talks about the root of male sexual pleasure (I think he said it was the taint) then followed up by covering the mic with his hand and whispering  "why is he saying this?" Thats what I hate, comedians who have to draw attention to how outrageous theyre being. If youre just trying to be honest, fair enough, but its not enough for him to be honest, he has to be at pains to point out just how honest and outrageous he is. Because he has a serious lack of material, hence him endlessly repeating jokes and stories.

I'm confused. You say 'most do it through writing material' and then continue to reference some of his stand up material.

I don't particularly care when comedians do all the "Too soon?" or "Went a bit far for the audience then" schtick either but i genuinely don't think he tries to be a 'shock' comedian. He admits he has no tact valve when it comes to being open about stuff and I believe him.

kalowski

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 17, 2018, 12:22:18 PM
I know from a reliable source that David Walliams does write his own books. It's not that inconceivable, as he has co-written quite a few sketch shows and a couple of sit-coms over the years. He's not just some reality tv contestant who has landed on their feet.

And although it's frowned upon, some people, like both my kids, love his books. The other day my son woke up at 6am and read The Midnight Gang for an hour. That's just wonderful.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 17, 2018, 10:43:57 PM

I'm confused. You say 'most do it through writing material' and then continue to reference some of his stand up material.

Thats right, stand up material he wrote 20 years ago that he still repeats verbatim on tv and radio shows 20 years later because he hasnt written anything new.

I wouldnt say hes a shock comedian either,  he just always makes a big deal about how honest hes being, always letting you kow how naughty he is. Because the honesty is part of the joke because without it, there's little there of substance.  Hence the repeating stories/material.

Sebastian Cobb

I like Baddiel and think he's a good lad, but I don't know if I'd be interested in seeing his stand up if that makes sense.

I'm not bothered either way, just tired of hearing about him pulling down his daughter's knickers.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 17, 2018, 11:18:00 PM
Thats right, stand up material he wrote 20 years ago that he still repeats verbatim on tv and radio shows 20 years later because he hasnt written anything new.

I wouldnt say hes a shock comedian either,  he just always makes a big deal about how honest hes being, always letting you kow how naughty he is. Because the honesty is part of the joke because without it, there's little there of substance.  Hence the repeating stories/material.

Baddiel gave up doing stand up years ago but still performs acclaimed solo shows which aren't really indicative of the general observational routines he wrote in the past so he's not sitting on his hands with the live stuff. I've only heard him tell one particular anecdote twice but then I'm not keeping tabs on his every media appearance.

rimbaud

Quote from: Clive Langham on September 16, 2018, 08:47:38 PM
If you've been to Cambridge you don't even actually have to be an actor or comedian to end up in a TV sitcom.
A million times this.  Emma Thompson got a comedy series.

On a related note we tried to watch A Bit Of Fry and Laurie recently and the writing was so bad, even these very accomplished performers were completely unfunny.

Emma Thompson started in comedy though. She was in Footlights, Alfresco, wasn't she even a stand-up for a while?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: rimbaud on September 18, 2018, 12:00:02 AM
A million times this.  Emma Thompson got a comedy series.

On a related note we tried to watch A Bit Of Fry and Laurie recently and the writing was so bad, even these very accomplished performers were completely unfunny.

Emma Thompson was/is a great actor though.

And now A Bit Of Fry & Laurie was crap? 

I'm going to bed.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Truly one of the strangest things I've ever read on here.

I'm going to bed too. On my own, not with Brundle.

Maurice Yeatman

I'm going to bed with Emma Thompson.

You Footlights-hating youngsters better keep the noise down.

Captain Z

Quote from: Twed on September 16, 2018, 10:31:12 PM
If you invert his name a little you get "David Good Deal". Hope that helps!

No deal is better than a Baddiel.

DrGreggles

WOW, now I've heard everything!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 17, 2018, 11:55:12 PM
Baddiel gave up doing stand up years ago but still performs acclaimed solo shows which aren't really indicative of the general observational routines he wrote in the past so he's not sitting on his hands with the live stuff. I've only heard him tell one particular anecdote twice but then I'm not keeping tabs on his every media appearance.

Ive never seen any of his accliamed solo shows but then I'm not keeping tabs on all of his appearances.

If his solo shows are so acclaimed why doesnt he do material from those shows instead of material from 20 years ago that hes already used multiple times when makimg tv and radio appearances? Or mew material? And I'd hardly call the bill of deaths routine observational comedy.  Hes just not a very good comedy writer, thats all.

yesitsme

I wonder how he feels knowing that he's the inspiration for Student Grant?

That's you that is.

For the record I never liked Fry and Laurie, always felt they were testing my patience.

I'd have loved to have seen Emma Thompson perform stand up at The Dog and Duck in Solihull, I get the feeling she'd have done some lah-di-dah clever clever in front of a load of hoo-rays who wouldn't have known funny if it hit them with a cricket bat.

I have nothing to base this on though.

She's done very well for herself too.

Jockice

Quote from: Captain Z on September 18, 2018, 12:54:04 AM
No deal is better than a Baddiel.

In my sub-editing days I used to always long for the footballer Rob Newman to be in a contract row.  So I could do the headline 'Norwich player in contract row.'

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 18, 2018, 10:08:11 AM
Ive never seen any of his accliamed solo shows but then I'm not keeping tabs on all of his appearances.

If his solo shows are so acclaimed why doesnt he do material from those shows instead of material from 20 years ago that hes already used multiple times when makimg tv and radio appearances? Or mew material? And I'd hardly call the bill of deaths routine observational comedy.  Hes just not a very good comedy writer, thats all.

Those solo shows are specifically on a particular theme and very personal. There are no routines or gags as such to pluck out easily and throw into a chatshow interview. I think you're confusing anecdotes with actual comedy material. The anecdote about him stinking out the toilet at his daughter's nursery school was just that, an anecdote. If someone has ever seen him close his Comedy Store spot with that story then I'm prepared to be corrected.

Yes, 'The Bills Of Deaths' is more a twenty-minute comedy lecture. I bet he found that material difficult to cram into his appearances on Des & Mel.

I know a lot of CaBBers don't rate him and he makes some peoples; shit itch, fair enough, but for me, Baddiel has written, said, performed enough stuff that has really made laugh/ think over the years that I'm not prepared to join the usual pile on.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: yesitsme on September 18, 2018, 11:07:00 AM

I'd have loved to have seen Emma Thompson perform stand up at The Dog and Duck in Solihull, I get the feeling she'd have done some lah-di-dah clever clever in front of a load of hoo-rays who wouldn't have known funny if it hit them with a cricket bat.

I thought Ken Goodwin's portrayal of Margeret in Howards End was rather pedestrian though.