Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel

Started by bgmnts, September 15, 2018, 09:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2018, 12:27:04 PM

I know a lot of CaBBers don't rate him and he makes some peoples; shit itch, fair enough, but for me, Baddiel has written, said, performed enough stuff that has really made laugh/ think over the years that I'm not prepared to join the usual pile on.

Oh I'm not a total hater, hes made me laugh a fair bit, its just that it was all in the 90s. Havent heard that anecdote about him stinking out the shitter, just the "DAVID BADDIEL!" one which he has used on multiple shows and hes nowhere near interesting enough to make a career out of being an anecdote teller. And thats the point, when he appears on anything now its either 20 year old material or anecdotes from his life because he hasn't written any new material. The fact he stopped doing stand up and started doing more personal/anecdote based stuff is telling too, hes just not a good writer.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 18, 2018, 04:06:35 PM
Oh I'm not a total hater, hes made me laugh a fair bit, its just that it was all in the 90s. Havent heard that anecdote about him stinking out the shitter, just the "DAVID BADDIEL!" one which he has used on multiple shows and hes nowhere near interesting enough to make a career out of being an anecdote teller. And thats the point, when he appears on anything now its either 20 year old material or anecdotes from his life because he hasn't written any new material. The fact he stopped doing stand up and started doing more personal/anecdote based stuff is telling too, hes just not a good writer.

I'm still unclear. You liked a fair bit of nineties output but say he's a bad writer going by his personal appearances on some TV and radio shows. Guests don't write new material for these outings. He might not be a coruscating raconteur of a Peter Ustinov standard in your book but why does that make him a bad writer? Have you read any of his novels? Seen The Infidel? Enjoyed Heresy? Seen his last two solo shows?

Bobby Ralgex

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2018, 07:20:07 PM
I'm still unclear. You liked a fair bit of nineties output but say he's a bad writer going by his personal appearances on some TV and radio shows. Guests don't write new material for these outings. He might not be a coruscating raconteur of a Peter Ustinov standard in your book but why does that make him a bad writer? Have you read any of his novels? Seen The Infidel? Enjoyed Heresy? Seen his last two solo shows?

Read his first two novels, dont know if hes done anymore as they were both shit, not seen The Infidel or his solo shows and Heresy was good (to start off with at least) but that was because the guests do most of the heavy lifting and theres little writing involved. I notice you left Baddiels Syndrome off that list, which was truly appaling and also reused a lot of material, which makes him a bad comedy writer in my book. All of his best work has been done while working with other people, he doesn't work well on his own because hes not a good enough writer. And I can't think of many comedians who repeat their own bits on panel shows as Baddiel does. Not saying he cant be funny off the cuff or anything but a comedy writer he is not.

king_tubby

Brundle-Fly

I forgot to add Baddiel's Syndrome. Never saw it as I didn't have Sky. I liked Time For Bed at the time but I'm no expert on the modern comedy novel so have nothing to judge it by.

Ah well, if that's what you think, fair enough.  Just trying to cut him some slack from the usual predictable abuse. His next show Trolls will be interesting to see how he deals with it all.

And yeah, I absolutely concede that pineapple head footballer impression wasn't his finest moment. He can join Leigh Francis in the NEVER FORGET club with the comedy Jew impression of him.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2018, 09:30:40 PMHe can join Leigh Francis in the NEVER FORGET club with the comedy Jew impression of him.

I think that impression was also drawing attention to Skinner's piss-taking, weirdly gratuitous Jew comments to Baddiel during Unplanned.

Skinner played part of the clip when he was interviewing Francis, but didn't seem all that bothered. Wonder what Baddiel thought about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOxbtOoGRYo#t=4m49s