Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are you the sort of person...

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 15, 2018, 09:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

...a group of friends would sing "for he's a jolly good fellow*" about in a pub upon your birthday/other landmark event?

I think I have work to do in this respect but could conceivably in the years to come attain this. It seems to be a worthy ambition, the love and respect, but most importantly the tribute of friends and loved ones.

*Or similar banter-appropriate herald

madhair60

They might do it only to annoy me but inside I'd absolutely love it. I'm more the kind of person they'd say thanks so much for being the funniest or cleverest guy alive, which means absolutely nothing to me. That's why I work so hard eating other people's metaphorical shit to hold something real. I want to be known as the kindest guy alive and my wife thinks I am that, which is enough for me. And my cats.

bgmnts

I don't have a group of friends.

So probably no.

This is the song me and my mates used to sing to each other when we where teenagers.  Replace Rory Tanner with your own name:

Rory Tanner, Rory Tanner, Rory Tanner's got a mass-ive cock.
Should of seen it.
Worrd a-pennis. 
Rory Tanner's got a mass-ive cock.
(and repeat to fade)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They've sung Happy Birthday for me in the restaurant. I'm comfortable that my closest circle of friends love me, although I feel like the next, less close, circle like me well enough, but probably wouldn't go out of their way to show it.

One of my best friends turned thirty a few years ago and his girlfriend, now wife, arranged a surprise party for him, including a bunch of his friends whom he hadn't seen in ages and had to travel a fairly long way to be there. I have my doubts that a similar event would happen in my honour.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd be lucky if they put Altered Images on the jukebox.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2018, 09:32:57 AM
...a group of friends would sing "for he's a jolly good fellow*" about in a pub upon your birthday/other landmark event?

I think I have work to do in this respect but could conceivably in the years to come attain this. It seems to be a worthy ambition, the love and respect, but most importantly the tribute of friends and loved ones.

*Or similar banter-appropriate herald

No. But I signed up for a *Skoda forum and they send me a lovely birthday greeting by email every year without fail.

*Just to meet people. I don't have a Skoda

alan nagsworth

Absolutely not, and I'm pleased that this is a combination of my mates not being fucking wet turkeys, me being such a cunt that no one would ever deem me worthy, me also not being a fucking wet turkey, and my mates being a bunch of cunts. Very happy with that arrangement.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 15, 2018, 01:28:18 PM
Absolutely not, and I'm pleased that this is a combination of my mates not being fucking wet turkeys, me being such a cunt that no one would ever deem me worthy, me also not being a fucking wet turkey, and my mates being a bunch of cunts. Very happy with that arrangement.

wot is wet turkey please elaborate x

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2018, 09:32:57 AM

I'm Afro-Caribbean and went out with a blond female Blue Peter Presenter in the 70s.  They used to sing, "for he's a golly Judd fellow."

mothman

"Sir, I protest! I am NOT a jolly good fellow!"

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2018, 01:34:46 PM
wot is wet turkey please elaborate x

The kind of flannel that sings "for he's a jolly good fellow" or any other sort of celebratory song or even any sort of song that isn't "here we, here we, here we fucking go" on repeat for twenty minutes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

gilbertharding

*Dennis Norden leaves thread disappointed*/tag

thenoise

I went to a birthday Ceidlih (a Scotch primary school dance). At the end they toasted the bloke whose birthday it was and played an instrumental version of the jolly good fellow song. I asked my wife why they were playing the bear went over the mountain. I only just noticed they had the same tune, didn't I, 35 years old, I am.

Kelvin

Has anyone under the age of 53, and not in possession of a  BMW, ever actually sung this song out of choice? It seems inconceivable, like asking if a 28 year old finds dancing the Macarena funny.

mothman

I'm under 53 and possess a BMW. But I don't think I've ever sung it. I don't know if that helps at all.

canadagoose

Nut. More like, "what, it's your birthday? Hahahaha, would never have known, hahaha, hear about the sport then lads?"

Janie Jones

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 15, 2018, 12:17:26 PM
They've sung Happy Birthday for me in the restaurant.

The copyright holders will be after them, then. In real life, no one ever sings 'For s/he's a jolly good fellow...' but we tend to think they do because we hear it so much in films and TV programmes because it costs nothing to use whereas the Happy Birthday song would require tiresome and expensive royalty payment palaver. This is a Sun link I'm afraid but it seemed the most recent and concise summary of the situation but there's quite a bit on Wiki too
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/5521415/is-it-illegal-to-sing-happy-birthday-in-public-who-owns-the-rights-and-when-will-it-enter-the-public-domain/

Maurice Yeatman

Uncle TechTip

What if they engaged in a Legend Gary style football chant in your honour, I bet you'd love that wouldn't you.

Psmith

The nearest I've got to anything like that was on a match day.
I was walking past my local with someone new from work going to the match.I wanted a wee so told him to wait while I used their lavatory.As soon as I entered the bar a big cheer went up.They were applauding some goal on the TV.When I returned to my companion he was well impressed with my popularity.