Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Lamarr kicks off

Started by Jamesieab, September 15, 2018, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

I'm in Uxbridge that day, weirdly. I might go along and have a butchers, if one is allowed into the public gallery for things like that.

BlodwynPig

Who was the victim? His career?

buzby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 15, 2018, 10:59:13 AM
Who was the victim?
He might have abducted Rhys Thomas, kicked him in the chest again and locked him in the cellar.

rasta-spouse

Anyone got a pun headline for this? I'm reaching but just grabbing air. Never Bind the... nah, Lamarr's Attacks... too simple.

biggytitbo

Going to really hurt his TV career if this is true.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 15, 2018, 11:59:46 AM
Anyone got a pun headline for this? I'm reaching but just grabbing air. Never Bind the... nah, Lamarr's Attacks... too simple.

Better find the handcuffs?

Funcrusher

Anyone contacted Shabba Ranks for a comment yet?

Jamesieab

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 15, 2018, 11:59:46 AM

Never bind the fuzzbox? (sorry)

PaulTMA

Nobody touch this man's Quavers

EDIT: didn't realise it was an ex

Blumf

Athelston Williams has been asked for to comment...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteFormer Buzzcocks host Lamarr charged with common assault https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45532153

Comedian Mark Lamarr charged with assault and false imprisonment https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/15/comedian-mark-lamarr-charged-with-assault-and-false-imprisonment

Ooh nasty for the pair of them

rasta-spouse

Mark Lamaar, FIST-ies throwback (his girlfriend into the house), more like.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Funcrusher on September 15, 2018, 12:21:51 PM
Anyone contacted Shabba Ranks for a comment yet?

He's just glad he had a girlfriend.

Penfold

Maurice LaMarche's career may or may not take a hit.

Depends how good his disguise was.

Ferris

Police lineup, buzzcocks style. Lots of shonky disguises and cheap wigs on display.

"Number 4, step forward and say something scathing about Westlife"

'That's him, officer'

Etc etc

(God that's tasteless. Disregard.)

up_the_hampipe

So is common assault not actual assault? I've been reading about it on Wikipedia and it's very clumsily written, but it seems like it doesn't constitute actual physical violence towards someone, but threats or behaviour that makes the victim feel like something could happen.

Zetetic

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/blog/post/assault-offences-explained/

Common assault can be 'assault by beating', which would involve the actual use of force. I don't know how this would be reported.

Miserable anyway.

MattD

Not a surprise in the slightest. I remember hearing about Rhys Thomas's account of him - nasty piece of work, along with Lamarr's gawky and equally unfunny sidekick Sean Lock.

Twed

Quote from: Zetetic on September 15, 2018, 08:32:03 PM
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/blog/post/assault-offences-explained/

Common assault can be 'assault by beating', which would involve the actual use of force. I don't know how this would be reported.

Miserable anyway.
Surely that would be battery? My understanding of assault is that it's engaging in an attempt to be violent, whereas battery is when the hits actually connect.

After reading through the confusing definitions of assault on the interwebs, I can only conclude that common assault involves threatening a beating and battery involves hitting someone.

What did Rhys Thomas say? Googling to no avail.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Bereft Isabella on September 16, 2018, 12:07:53 AM
What did Rhys Thomas say? Googling to no avail.

It was on one of the (brilliant) Thomas & Way podcasts in glorious detail.

Bronzy

Zetetic

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 16, 2018, 12:01:01 AM
After reading through the confusing definitions of assault on the interwebs, I can only conclude that common assault involves threatening a beating and battery involves hitting someone.
Quote from: Twed on September 15, 2018, 11:12:37 PM
Surely that would be battery? My understanding of assault is that it's engaging in an attempt to be violent, whereas battery is when the hits actually connect.

It says:
QuoteIf violence is used in a common assault, it is called a "battery" and the perpetrator would be charged with "assault by beating".

My impression is that the event of violence is referred to as (a) 'battery' but the offence charged isn't called 'battery'.

On the wider point Twed, there's the more serious offence of "Assault occasioning actual bodily harm", which clearly involves 'successful' violence.

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 16, 2018, 12:11:06 AM
It was on one of the (brilliant) Thomas & Way podcasts in glorious detail.

Found it and listening now - 22 minutes in here. http://tonyway.podbean.com/e/thomas-way-podcast-05/

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 16, 2018, 12:01:01 AM

As I wrote this morning in the Lamarr thread in GB, I don't think common assault needs to be actively threatening a beating so much as the threat of physical assault as perceived by the alleged victim. So, a raised voice and physical proximity might be enough for the alleged victim to feel in danger (or say after the event that she was). As for the false imprisonment charge - again hypothetically - it would be enough for the alleged perpetrator to temporarily block an exit, or maybe say "You're not leaving", during an ongoing verbal argument.