Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Lamarr kicks off

Started by Jamesieab, September 15, 2018, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on September 16, 2018, 12:35:49 AM
As I wrote this morning in the Lamarr thread in GB, I don't think common assault needs to be actively threatening a beating so much as the threat of physical assault as perceived by the alleged victim. So, a raised voice and physical proximity might be enough for the alleged victim to feel in danger (or say after the event that she was). As for the false imprisonment charge - again hypothetically - it would be enough for the alleged perpetrator to temporarily block an exit, or maybe say "You're not leaving", during an ongoing verbal argument.

I think it would have to be a bit stricter than "you're not leaving" but not necessarily physically restraining her. Also the perception of the victim needs to be reasonable enough for the police to charge him for it.

Rocket Surgery

Having been on the receiving end gawd knows how many times, I can verify that 'common assault' may well involve a physical beating (unless they've changed it very recently.) If it's a first offence you just get a caution.

Which is why, when I inadvertently carried a few molecules of weed that I'd forgotten about into Wetherspoons one evening, I wound up receiving the same legal penalty as the marauding nutjob who'd wrapped my face round a lamppost a few months earlier.

Still rather cross about that one. Anyway, Mark Lammar.

up_the_hampipe

This person has been correcting people on twitter with a version of events, seems to know both of them https://twitter.com/jackscht/status/1040999361155555329

Dr Rock

That may be true, but from my experience (not direct) police would tend to view such events as a 'domestic' and even if he stupidly got 'arsey' with the police he'd still get away with a caution, not be charged. Could be different these days.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Bereft Isabella on September 16, 2018, 12:34:55 AM
Found it and listening now - 22 minutes in here. http://tonyway.podbean.com/e/thomas-way-podcast-05/

Thanks!

Also, lol:

Quote from: Jamie

I had no idea about these until yesterday, downloaded all five - listened to two so far. Please make more! I'll never look at Mark Lamarr and Sean Connery in the same way again...

I just assumed that when you grew up up a bit, you'd inevitably get in trouble for hitting someone or killing someone or flattening someone because you really less afraid of anything or of dying and it's just statistics. Seems to have happened to almost everyone. Best live out in nature and keep safe from yourself

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 16, 2018, 08:49:44 AM
That may be true, but from my experience (not direct) police would tend to view such events as a 'domestic' and even if he stupidly got 'arsey' with the police he'd still get away with a caution, not be charged. Could be different these days.

Yeah, it's likely that some of the things he said and did in order for her not to leave might have been bad. I'm sure this person is biased in favour of Mark, I can certainly see why, but ultimately wasn't there when it was going down.

KennyMonster

Lamarr Attacks.

(Not a very good pun but Lamarrs Attacks was the name of his chat show that didn't get a second series wasn't it? Bo Jo was a guest on one ep).

jobotic

"Next time it'll be custodial".

greenman

Found it and listening now - 22 minutes in here. http://tonyway.podbean.com/e/thomas-way-podcast-05/

Actually does do a good job of highlighting why Would I Lie To You is one of the few panel shows I have much interest in

bgmnts

Fair play enjoyed that. Quite conflicted as I have a lot of adoration for Bob Mortimer but it made it seem like he hung around Mark Lamarr because he enjoyed his rude or violent antics. Which sucks.

The "I feel like Harrison Ford in Presumed Innocence" line had me howling.

daf

Poor Rhys -
To be falsely accused of one rape may be regarded as a misfortune; to be accused of two looks like carelessness.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Well I always thought he was common. If I see him coming out of Poundland (reduced quail eggs this week) on Chiswick High Road I'll serve him a CAB writ to come on here and explain himself.

marquis_de_sad

Tony Tony Tony

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2018, 04:33:49 PM
Fair play enjoyed that. Quite conflicted as I have a lot of adoration for Bob Mortimer but it made it seem like he hung around Mark Lamarr because he enjoyed his rude or violent antics.

You can do away with that conflict as both Rhys and Tony profess a lot of love for Bob in other episodes.  Most of them are worth a listen, except for the ones where they're shitfaced and Rhys can barely string a sentence together.

Clownbaby

I've always thought Sean Lock seemed like he'd be really bitchy.

Shit Good Nose

I think Lock is one of those you have to catch in the right mood - from memory of CaBbers who have met him it's about a 70/30 split between those who said he was a nice bloke and those who thought he was a bit rude/aloof.  Tony Way has always said what a nice bloke he is and in a later episode of the podcast Rhys mentions that he met Lock again and he was really nice.

Being famous must be frequently annoying, and I guess eventually every smile cracks.

Clownbaby

Oh aye I'm not expecting famous human beings to be unfailingly pleasant all the time but being caught in the wrong mood and being abrasive and unprofessional behind the scenes are two different things. I bet he's not always a cunt, few people are. Still hearing this little story about him wasn't massively surprising to me cause I've always got that vibe

Funny thing though, I've never been keen on Lee Mack but nice to hear that the Would I Lie To You atmosphere was more pleasant. That's probably why it's a good show. I don't think petty bitchiness behind the scenes really results in a funny show unless it's the funny type of cringe, or the person who is the butt of the joke is a wanker themself. I remember on a Christmas Special 8 out of 10 Cats episode Jon Richardson kept making snide comments towards Nikki Grahame, who just seemed to be ditzy and harmless, but I'm sure he made the odd cunty jab at her being a bit thick. Something about being careful with a hot water bottle because "there may be a danger of elocution, instead of "electrocution" get it cause she's thick hahaha. Rubbed me up the wrong way. Maybe I've remembered it wrong though.

thraxx

Sorted.  I'm going to Uxbridge MadgeBishop's court on 2 Oct and will report back.  Haven't felt so excited in a long time.

Shit Good Nose

Isn't Lee Mack universally regarded as UK comedy's nicest bloke?  Regardless of opinion of his stand-up and Not Going Out, I don't think I've ever heard or read a single negative word about him as a person. 

Clownbaby

Yeah, neither have I. I'm not a massive fan of his comedy myself but you've got to admire how quick he is on panel shows, and if he can do that while also being a decent bloke behind the scenes then more power to him

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 18, 2018, 12:41:15 PM
Isn't Lee Mack universally regarded as UK comedy's nicest bloke?  Regardless of opinion of his stand-up and Not Going Out, I don't think I've ever heard or read a single negative word about him as a person.

The only behind-the-scenes stories I've heard about him are from Ian Boldsworth's warm up days, and he never said anything other than good things.
That Brydon, Mitchell and Mack tour together (and seemingly go to each others houses for dinner, as has been mentioned on WILTY) suggests that they get on pretty well.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 18, 2018, 12:02:31 PM
I've always thought Sean Lock seemed like he'd be really bitchy.

I think he hates like 90% of the comedians he has to do Cats with, especially Jimmy Carr.

lankyguy95

He works well with Miles Jupp though. Only really watch that show if those two are on together.

jobotic

Mack - nice bloke but deeply unfunny
Lock - probably a bit moody but at his best very funny
Richardson - seems a bit of an arse and a not funny one trick pony. Must know the right people.

I have decreed the above to be true with very little but my own prejudices. The matter is closed.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 18, 2018, 01:13:11 PM
He works well with Miles Jupp though. Only really watch that show if those two are on together.

https://youtu.be/pdoyHFTzY28?t=6m55s

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 18, 2018, 12:53:35 PM
The only behind-the-scenes stories I've heard about him are from Ian Boldsworth's warm up days, and he never said anything other than good things.

Didn't he say Mack was the only person who'd get a round applause for the warm-up both at the beginning and end of recordings?

But personally I've never seen the need for comedians to be nice people, all the better if they are but I don't look to comedians to find a moral compass.

Clownbaby

I'm not fussed about everyone being kind and lovely, just decent is fine by me. I don't think anyone on here expects their favourite comedians to be absolute sweethearts 24/7 either but finding out about bullying and bitchy behind the scenes behaviour is usually a bit unpleasant because it would be if it was anyone. I still think Sean Lock can be very funny, but I probably wouldn't approach him if I had a chance