Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Lamarr kicks off

Started by Jamesieab, September 15, 2018, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't think anyone on here expects it, but I think there's a general feeling among some (in particular on social media) that a comedian is only worth something if they have woke attitudes.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on September 18, 2018, 03:00:06 PM
I don't think anyone on here expects it, but I think there's a general feeling among some (in particular on social media) that a comedian is only worth something if they have woke attitudes.

God, how tedious.

Dr Rock

Clownbaby

Yeah I'm seeing a trend in all areas where people can't seem to acknowledge someone's work at all if they have a slight disagreement with one of their opinions

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 18, 2018, 03:26:17 PM
Yeah I'm seeing a trend in all areas where people can't seem to acknowledge someone's work at all if they have a slight disagreement with one of their opinions

Or actions. That seems to be a big thing at the moment!

Clownbaby

Well obviously there's the more extreme opinions or actions that understandably make someone universally unappealing as a personality, i.e. rape and such which is very undestandable. But then you've got people boycotting someone because of a minor political difference in opinion or a slightly off colour joke/tweet from 8 years ago

A couple of days ago Linehan had gone on another trans rant and another comedian had commented on their own Twitter about it. Someone responded to them and said "And yet he's still followed by..." and went on to list a load of comedians who were still following Linehan. They actually went to the trouble to look through his follower listing and try to shame people by listing them. As if following him meant endorsing every opinion he utters or if indeed it mattered in the slightest. Not just comedy. You'll find people who now deny Eddie Marsan is a good actor because he's a bit of an arsehole on Twitter, people who were huge Harry Potter fans turning against the books because Rowling is anti-Corbyn. It's just pathetic.

Clownbaby

It is. Graham Linehan's Twitter makes me cringe but I'll be damned if Father Ted isn't still one of my favourite comedies ever.

I just logged in to twitter and the first thing on my timeline was about a children's author getting death threats and being bullied generally because he drew a scary dog.

royce coolidge

Happened to be listening to 15 storeys high dvd commentary last night,and by god does Lamarr come over as a snidey bullying aggressive twat,constantly trying to start a row with Sean Lock (and he's a mate ).
He's always struck me as trying to be alpha male and contrary with a big chip on his shoulder.

I hope the prosecution is getting all this down, it's gold. Are dvd commentaries admissible in court?

Sebastian Cobb

Good job these shut-ins never find their way to a Sadowitz gig then I suppose.

mobias

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 18, 2018, 03:49:36 PM
It is. Graham Linehan's Twitter makes me cringe but I'll be damned if Father Ted isn't still one of my favourite comedies ever.

Yeah thats how I feel. I was willing to give Linehan the benefit of the doubt longer than most CAB'ers, simply because I'm a massive Father Ted and Big Train fan, but all his recent trans ranting on Twitter made me give up on him entirely. There is literally nothing to his twitter feed other than him getting worked up and ranting about something. God knows what other people in the comedy world think of him. I saw that he fell out with Limmy recently. 

c

Quote from: mobias on September 18, 2018, 07:28:31 PM
. I saw that he fell out with Limmy recently.

Really? Could you fill us in please?

I concur with most here - Father Ted & Big Train have a genius that can never be taken away. But Linehan the man is utterly septic.

You have to separate the art from the artist, I think. It's the same with music. I'm a big Mark Kozelek fan but he can be a right barnshoot.

Sebastian Cobb

Not how it works. He's cancelled, so put your ted dvd's in that bin, go on, put them in there.

mobias

Quote from: c on September 18, 2018, 09:35:21 PM

Really? Could you fill us in please?

Don't know what happened. I just saw a twitter comment from Limmy about it. Both seem quite capable of falling foul of people so its probably not a big surprise.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 18, 2018, 09:45:17 PM
Not how it works. He's cancelled, so put your ted dvd's in that bin, go on, put them in there.

That is quite a short-sighted thing to be sarcastic about, if that's what you're doing.

Cuellar

God I went on Linehan's twitter just now and it's a rabbit hole.

Got to stop going on twitter full stop. It's just an anger generating device, as Linehan's shows. Everyone arguing constantly about fuck all, and having no effect on the world at all. And taking it so seriously too! Forget it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 18, 2018, 10:39:04 PM
That is quite a short-sighted thing to be sarcastic about, if that's what you're doing.

neenaw neenaw it's the tone police.

Twed

Linehan is absolutely *obsessed*. Given that he has no direct personal stake in trans rights issues it's hard to not find it all a bit... creepy.

Twed

Delving a bit deeper, my first guess would be that he has an uncontrollable fetish for wombs and sees transpeople as some kind of womb threat.

Sebastian Cobb

it's the people who keep cleaning up wimbledon common he should be angry at.

the midnight watch baboon

There MUST be a good pun regarding Mr Lamarr's false imprisonment woes and him being Fifties Throwback Mark Lamarr.

Mustn't there?

thraxx

Are you allowed phones in court public galleries? Will I be able to c&b update from there? I'm guessing that is against the rules, contempt of court or whatever.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thraxx on September 18, 2018, 11:37:48 PM
Are you allowed phones in court public galleries? Will I be able to c&b update from there? I'm guessing that is against the rules, contempt of court or whatever.

best brush up on your drawing skills mate

the midnight watch baboon

Have a word with the beak, see if he can ask ML to confirm he is 'Fifties Throwback Mark Lamarr'

TIA

rue the polywhirl

Given his false imprisonment charges could well be false how about 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks Here's The Benefit Of The Doubt. Or 'My Old Man's A Dustman, My Ex-Wife is a Raving Drunkard Child-Snatching Mental Patient'?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 18, 2018, 03:26:17 PM

Norm Macdonald having his comedy credentials questioned by certain twitterers last week was particularly despicable. I guess they can't all be Hannah Gadsby.

jobotic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 18, 2018, 07:02:25 PM
Good job these shut-ins never find their way to a Sadowitz gig then I suppose.

I wish I was hard enough to tell everyone I'm hard enough to like Sadowitz.