Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Email for own domain

Started by Zetetic, September 16, 2018, 09:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

I own a vanity domain. (What a cunt.)

I'd like it so that cunt.x@whatacunt.com, cunt.y@whatacunt.com and cunt.z@whatacunt.com and so on all (silently in the backend) redirect to cunt@whatacunt.com.

I'd like it so that garbage.x@, garbage.y@ and so on all appear to accept email and then bin it.

Is there an easy and cheap way to achieve this without running my own email server, with all the arse ache that probably implies? (I guess I'd consider running my own receiving server, maybe? And then using something like Mailgun as a smarthost-type solution for sending. Seems quite unrealiable.)

Zetetic

Do you have to setup aliases individually? I wasn't very clear - can't be fucked with that. (And have that option currently.)

Sebastian Cobb

I think you can forward the whole domain and filter the ones you want/don't want.

There are two ways to do it, properly, with gsuite or just by forwarding from your domain provider.

Protonmail does it for a few quid a month as well.

Zetetic

8 EUR per month gets you catch-all support on Proton, but no control over routing other than dumping anything to one mailbox.

Suppose I could run an IMAP-connected bot or something to do filing/forwarding for me, rather than looking for something to support this server side.

Zetetic

And I've just discovered that Gandi support what they call Like aliases.

Edit: And despite their documentation that you don't even have to pay for them now.

I've wasted everyone's time - apologies.

Sebastian Cobb

Proton won't let you do folder-based sorting with inbound rules? Sounds shit.

Zetetic

No, it looks likes you can do Filters for Proton in fairness.

That, combined with catch-all is probably good enough, particularly if you've only got one user.

(Gandi's stuff slightly better fits my use-case, I think, because I've got a couple of real users - and I get it free with the domain.)

Zetetic

I'm still grateful for making me look at Proton again, however. Might be something to look to in the future, for various reasons. (Hope that it makes it feel slightly less like I've abused your goodwill and time...)

Twed

I think Fastmail can do it. I like Fastmail.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on September 16, 2018, 02:54:14 PM
I'm still grateful for making me look at Proton again, however. Might be something to look to in the future, for various reasons. (Hope that it makes it feel slightly less like I've abused your goodwill and time...)

It's alright. I was on a bus.