Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The week does not begin on Sunday

Started by pancreas, September 16, 2018, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 16, 2018, 09:13:46 PM
The whole Sunday thing is shit. Went to Geneva and was starving lookin for some shit to eat. Turns out you're fuck out of luck. No cunt open. I ended up going to a department store and buying cured meats and fancy chocolates and eating them on a bench. Shit hole

That really pisses me off. Everything in Germany is closed on a Sunday too. Fucking arseholes.

Captain Z

Quote from: Alberon on September 17, 2018, 06:01:01 PM
Sunday is at one end of the week and Saturday at the other end. Hence Weekend.

Then it would be called 'The Weekends'.

My youth was soundtracked by Dave Pearce's Dance Anthems 'rounding off my weekend', and why would Dave Pearce lie? Why?

Captain Z

Quote from: the science eel on September 17, 2018, 07:16:11 PM
That really pisses me off. Everything in Germany is closed on a Sunday too. Fucking arseholes.

Well let's be honest it's not a bad reason.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 17, 2018, 07:08:40 PM
In my last job we had some Brazilian colleagues and the way holiday was allocated there is weekends still came off your allowance if you went over them. And you weren't allowed to stop your holiday Friday pm and resume it Monday am. I thought that was a bit cunty.

Spain works like that too. In an old job of mine, I got 30 "natural days" holiday which sounded like loads until you found that all those weekends and public holidays in the middle (and either side) got included as well. I used to frequently take 3 day breaks from Tuesday to Thursday.  Yeah, fuck the system.

Zetetic

Is there any rationale for this? Is it supposed to disincentivise people being off the whole week?

God knows. I think it's just a kind of legacy thing that's stuck around, because plenty of people still work 6 or even 7 day weeks.  Spanish people naturally know how to apply the rules too, e.g. if you take a week's holiday, it has to be Monday-Sunday. It can't be Monday-Friday. It could possibly be Saturday-Friday, but they won't ever make you take Saturday-next Sunday. This apparently makes sense. As the only guiri in the company, no one could understand why I was so baffled and amused by such a bizarre system.

The "natural days" thing crops up elsewhere too. Like when doing accounts, all months are considered to have 30 natural days (even though they don't). No idea what happens to the other five or six in the year.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Darles Chickens on September 17, 2018, 09:07:36 PM
Spain works like that too. In an old job of mine, I got 30 "natural days" holiday which sounded like loads until you found that all those weekends and public holidays in the middle (and either side) got included as well. I used to frequently take 3 day breaks from Tuesday to Thursday.  Yeah, fuck the system.

yeah, but in spain there are millions of odd bank holidays, which are sometimes in the middle of the week. it's no wonder fuck-all gets done there.

Yeah, though if they fall on a Saturday, you lose them. If they fall on a Sunday, they sometimes give you Monday in lieu. If they fall on a Tuesday or a Thursday, most people take the previous or following day off (do the puente), but then you fall foul of the "natural days" holidays rules again!