Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you like Southern Comfort (the film, not the drink)?

Started by kalowski, September 16, 2018, 07:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I've not seen it for 20 years, but my memory is that it is great.

mothman

Oh yes. Really atmospheric, sense of dread etc. Great stuff.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I caught about the last half hour of it once on the telly. It did seem like a pretty huge rip off of Deliverance, but no less good for that. Walter Hill is a reliable name.

Sebastian Cobb

It's a fantastic film. Ry Cooder on sounds and Powers Booth rocking about. It sits tightly behind Paris, Texas in 'excellent films'.

mothman

Powers Boothe! The man deserves his own thread. Did he get one when he died? I can't remember.

Hmm. Seems he did. https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,60081.0.html

Sebastian Cobb

The last 20 minutes or so might be the best sustained action/suspense set piece I've seen in any movie.   It's like a short film to itself.  It's built up so well with the use of music, editing and sense of geography... something more recent action flicks all too often ignore. 

The rest of the film is pretty good, too.

Lemming

Seconding the above post. The ending sequence when the Cajuns close in on the two remaining guys and they have to fight their way out of the village is bollock-shatteringly tense.

I always thought the movie was pretty hilarious. "WE NEED FIRE SUPPORT!" "Will you stop jerking off about fire support?!" (heavily paraphrased, haven't seen it in ages)

As I remember it, the guy who's house they fuck up is one of the most villainous characters in movie history, purely for the reveal that he CAN SPEAK ENGLISH. He understood everything they were saying the whole time, he knew they were just a bunch of lost idiots, and he could easily have acted as a mediator between them and the other Cajuns, but instead he just did fuck-all, let them walk into traps (and shoot at his friends), and murders one of them (who is catatonic with PTSD) outright in cold blood. Everything that happened was that dickhead's fault and I'm still mad about it.