Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sam Wollaston finally fucks off [split topic]

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 13, 2018, 11:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Not quite Trump's impeachment, but phenomenally good news, nonetheless.

Crabwalk

When I saw the article this morning I thought 'When did I last wake up to such genuinely good news?'

He's left us with something of a Wollastonian masterpiece with that column hasn't he? As readable and insightful as ever. I hope he's being moved to the politics desk.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

mothman

Do you know, as soon as I saw his article today I remembered this thread, and wondered if anybody would revive it. I might have done so myself if they hadn't. What I didn't remember is how much I contributed to it, it'd odd to see myself actively engaged in arguments as I don't bother so much anymore.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 02, 2007, 11:18:38 PM
Most of the writers on G2 are still shit. Mostly because they're the same ones who were shit 6 months ago and 12 months ago. There's a horrible smug self-satisfaction about it. Plus they're obviously all tories but don't realise it because their parents told them Thatcher was awful.

PERCEPTIVE

BlodwynPig

Chriddof

QuoteAnd I have learned that television is bloody brilliant

QuoteGogglebox

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fourteen years, though. Fourteen years of witless, rambling, childlike drivel from a critic who never displayed any interest in, or knowledge of, the medium he was paid to write about. A bloody disgrace.

BlodwynPig

Yeh but most of us stopped reading the tabloid rag he wrote for long ago

Pranet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 13, 2018, 07:53:59 PM
Fourteen years, though. Fourteen years of witless, rambling, childlike drivel from a critic who never displayed any interest in, or knowledge of, the medium he was paid to write about. A bloody disgrace.

I can understand it. I've been doing my job for longer than that and I still don't know what I'm doing. You find something and cling on and hope you die or retire before anyone notices how badly you are stinking things up. Everyone does that right?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I find it hard to believe that you, or anyone, could be worse at their job than Sam "It's only telly" Wollaston.

Zetetic

I'm not sure if he references this thread or not - I'm assuming that "Is this the worst Sam Wollaston 'review' ever?" has been uttered elsewhere.

I'll always remember when the Guardian misgendered him through lack of attention.

Small Man Big Horse

I can't believe how old he is, I thought he was only about 19 or something.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Those two Wollaston- related letters in today's " Guardian " under the sub-heading " A Fond Farewell To A Peerless Reviewer "- they have *got* to be taking the piss, Shirley ? I mean, the first letter also refers to him as a " world- famous motoring correspondent ." The second brackets him alongside Nancy Banks- Smith. Come on, which ones out of youse lot was behind this brace of barely credible pieces of correspondence ?

gilbertharding

This thread started and finished before I joined up here... so reading it has left me a bit bewildered.

How did it get to 6 pages of arguing whether or not he is a completely fucking useless writer with very little clue about anything? Surely the only thing open to discussion is the 'why' and 'how'?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 14, 2018, 12:51:18 PM
"world- famous motoring correspondent."

I think that was his own ironic/self-deprecatory description. But yes - he clearly knew as little about cars as he did about stringing a sentence together. He still knew more about cars than Zoe Williams who briefly did the job.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That first letter also compares him to Clive James for fuck's sake. Come on, micturation misappropriation on a grand scale, innit ? * Got * to fucking be.

Dr Rock

Utter Shit

God Wollaston is the fucking worst, his TV reviews read like they've been written by a thick child with ADHD. That's not a generic, throwaway insult either, it's a very specific criticism - he writes like a child talks, veering wildly between the topic at hand and literally any other thoughts that come into his head.

"Mark and Jez live in a flat in Kilburn. I used to know someone who lived in Kilburn, must give him a ring some time. Anyway - so Mark and Jez, who are these two geezers? Hurrah! - it's preppy David Mitchell off Would I Lie To You, with his nasal voice and uptight attitude. Wahoo! - it's Robert Webb off, oh um, that film he was in, you remember, the one where he was in the nip. Anyway, so this week they're dealing with Mad Andy - I've got a cat called Andy, but he isn't mad..."

Just absolute trivial dog shit bollocks rubbish.

gilbertharding

Among the least things wrong with his stuff is: it's not 'a review'. Mostly it's an account of what happened, and perhaps what happened to him while he watched it.

Quote"I did sit down on my sofa in my flat what I have an mortgage for and I did press a button on the doofer. The button did say five on it. The big black square on the wall across the room from my sofa did get all moving pictures on it and it was Big Brother and I saw that it was some men and some ladies who were haveing a big argument. And the lady says 'you are live on channel 5 please do not sware!' but they DID sware and it was ver funy! Then there was some music and an advert and I did press another button on my doofer and the button was 4. I did see a picture of a man and a lady on a sofa in a house and they were talking about watching another television show which I have alreddy seen. And it was quite funy because the man was quite posh and he make me laugh."

mothman

Went to Cambridge. Of course she fucking did. When is this shit going to end?

Uncle TechTip

Good news though, she's stood in a few times and she was 1000% better.

Bhazor

On the plus side the original post did remind me of Freema Agyeman. Who is welcome to Free mah eggyman juice anytime.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Cursus on September 16, 2018, 11:55:23 AM
Lucy Mangan has replaced him.

QuoteSam Wollaston who is moving to G2 to become a features writer

No mate. You bin sacked.

Quote from: mothman on September 16, 2018, 07:07:11 PM
Went to Cambridge. Of course she fucking did. When is this shit going to end?

How dare someone better educated than the vast majority of people be given a job.

mothman

Replies From View